Amanda Nunes passes Jose Aldo

The UFC female featherweight division has only 4 athletes...

Amanda is the best female fighter by a long shot. Still, female MMA is so shallow. Take 90% of the mens fighers out radomly and you would see very long title domination. 155 -205 runs are more impressive than HWT and 125 just due to how much more competition as those weights are where the vast majority of men are at.

Aldo has more defenses. The time of holding the belt can be an indicator of inactivity. I would be far more impressed with a champ who has 5 defenses in 2 years than 7 defenses in 10 years.

Defending two different titles…

For the record I like Nunes but to address this "two titles" point which multiple people have made in this thread...

1. That's no excuse and has no relevance for the "record" of title reign which this thread is about.

But more importantly and why I'm responding...

2. Would Nunes even BE defending this BW title now (supposed to be this weekend, cancelled) if it wasn't for 145 imploding? There's an argument the title reign would continue to increase with no defenses if she could get fights at 145. There's really no competition at either weight class for her sans Valentina moving up for a super fight.

She is quite literally about to fight a 1-1 in her last two fights Juliana Pena who was recently subbed by GDR. Pena just beat a 40 year old, 9th ranked Sara McMann to "earn" this title shot...lol

Lol, you can rationalize as hard you as fucking want dude, but you're still spewing bullshit.

Name a MALE champion that could sit on a title for two full years without defending it, without being injured, and not bet ripped to fucking shreds and called to be stripped. You can't.

You can't be fucking serious with that. #1 - you're really counting a year when just about everything was being canceled, delayed or logistically fucked up because of a global pandemic the same as any other year.

#2 - Dana White has been the one booking title belts for Nunes during that time period. If she needs to defend that belt, specifically, all Dana has to do is make the match.

Conor went almost 17 months of not defending the only belt he had before he was stripped (LW belt). Nunes has been defending UFC belts, as requested by the UFC.

To pretend that Nunes has been neglecting her duties as champion is laughably stupid. She's been taking the fights that Dana has fed her.

Impressive stuff from Nunes, but it seems like a miscount of Aldo's time as champ.

Aldo became FW champ in November 2009 and lost his belt in December 2015. So just over six years as champ.

6 x 365 = 2190, plus another thirty days or so to be exact. Plus he spent another 11 months as champ in 2016-2017, so add roughly 330 days. He spent about about 2500 days as FW champ of the world. He should be number one on this list, unless it is counting longest streak as champ without losing the belt, in which case he should be number two.

I think Nunes could top this list eventually if she can stay focused and healthy. She's a great champ.
I don’t think they are including WEC time.

Amanda has 7 title defenses (5 WBW + 2 WFW) this doesn't count her title fight against Cris Cyborg.
Aldo has 9 title defenses (2 FW/WEC + 7 FW/UFC).

both have been champions for about ~1825 days

That isn't the issue though.

This would be more an issue of, if somehow there was an women's league in hockey or basketball that was taken semi-seriously and some woman dominated statistically and now there are comparisons statistically between that woman and Gretzky or LeBron/Jordan/whoever.

On top of that, in this instance it would also be like if the women's season was 1.5-2x as long and counting stats were compiled far more easily. Which is essentially what Nunes' "stat" here is, because she's defended less than 1 time per year on this belt to this point, and she's about to make it a clean 1.0 per year. On top of some very sus competition like 1-1 Pena and Pennington and even GDR.

TS' intention was probably to trigger people honestly lol
That's missing my point. This is just trivia without context. It wouldn't matter if Nunes end up #1 on the list.

People do cross-sport comparisons. People like things like that.

The point is that Nunes has objectively done what she's done. What value to put on it is up to each one.

There are people here who think pound-for-pound rankings are nonsense. I understand their criticism and may even agree. But I can also hold two thoughts at the same time. That is, I can say it's nonsense and at the same time make an argument for why Aldo should be ranked so and so on an all-time pound-for-pound list. It's not that serious.

Jon Jones has been LHW champion for 10 years now

he eclipses everyone on that list

As others have mentioned why does this metric even matter? What is important is the amount of defenses and the lvl of the competition, the amount of days...what the fuck?

That stat is worthless, this isn't WWE, what really matters are tittle defenses

That's missing my point. This is just trivia without context. It wouldn't matter if Nunes end up #1 on the list.

People do cross-sport comparisons. People like things like that.

The point is that Nunes has objectively done what she's done. What value to put on it is up to each one.

There are people here who think pound-for-pound rankings are nonsense. I understand their criticism and may even agree. But I can also hold two thoughts at the same time. That is, I can say it's nonsense and at the same time make an argument for why Aldo should be ranked so and so on an all-time pound-for-pound list. It's not that serious.

Sure I guess, but to your example...

I don't even care that that much about p4p rankings, but if Nunes was 1st? Fuck that.

Not comparable. Aldo fought real competition, while Nunes fought soccer moms. Only a filthy casual would equate the two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back