Am I the only one who feels that size was a major factor in Woodley vs Usman?

I'm not surprised by all the folks happy to see Tyron lose, and I am not making an excuse for him, but why does it seem like I am the only one who feels like size was a major factor?

Woodley may be a thicc boi but he isn't a big WW... Usman meanwhile is arguably the biggest WW Ive ever seen. Every ounce of that dude is muscle, unlike Till who, while massive, is significantly softer and has zero ufc caliber grappling in his arsenal.

I feel like if Usman wasn't dwarfing Tyron, that he wouldn't have been able to employ that gameplan. He doesnt have the striking to do it with striking alone, and honestly i don't think his wrestling is as good as Tyron's when all else is equal.

Bravo and well done to Usman but does anyone else feel like it was a major factor?
Size didn’t matter,both are black dudes...

Now seriously size difference was not the problem,lack of awareness from Woodley inside the cage and lack of a better fight plan from his team was.

Edit.
The lack of a better gas tank.

Well Usman is taller with longer limbs as well as being very muscular just like Woodley. Watch Kamaru's other fights that dude's been overpowering guys all his career, them native Nigerians are no joke.

pretty sure woodley cuts more than usman, woodley looked like shit at weigh ins and usman looked fresh as fuck.

I wrestled at the same time as woodley in college. I saw him at a few tournaments and he was the biggest 165lb wrestler I have ever seen. Insanely cut with more muscle than anyone in the weight class. He is not small for 170.

Woodley has fought a string of non wrestlers who don't have the body or style to wear him out. Till is huge but he's a range kickboxer who doesn't impose his size in a way that tires his opponent. With a big wrestling and strength advantage Woodley has been able to dictate pace of his recent fights. Usman was the first guy in the UFC that has been bigger, stronger, and has much better cardio. He just has the perfect style and body type to give Woodley all types of problems. Nobody else could physically impose themselves on Woodley to drain his cardio. Maia tried but lacks the wrestling to get him down, cardio to keep coming, and the striking to keep Woodley guessing.

Woodley is very bottom heavy. I bet he is heavier than you think

really ?? lets start off with till is 6'0...

maia - 6'1
thompson - 6'0
lawler - 5'11
dhk - 6'1.5
rory - 6'0
condit - 6'2
shields - 6'0
heiron - 6'0
marquardt - 6'0
mein - 6'0
He said "defended against", and height does not always make one equal in size or mass.

i think size both didn't and did play a factor.

size was definitely a factor in the clinch, Woodley's arms were too short to do anything with overhooks and he never tried to dig underhooks.

however, it didn't play a big factor in Usman's strategy. Usman won because he told himself he was going to attack first, and not wait to be attacked. that had nothing to do with his size, it had more to do with understanding that Woodley dictates the pace with threats, rather than with actions.

if you control the pace with threats, you're relying on the other person to respect your weapons. if that other person doesn't care about your weapons, then you have to actually do something to keep them back.

Woodley is obviously muscular but he's 5'7 barefoot. Usman is probably Legit 5'11 barefoot. Usman is also a collegiate wrassler who knows how to cut so guaranteed he was every bit of 195lbs on fight night. Twood got worked by a bigger better hungrier man.

It wasn't about size. It was about Woodley's inability to: (1) make adjustments; and (2) listen to his corner. Usman did the same thing he always does--move forward, clinch, and hold his opponent down. Woodley's corner basically begged him to move forward and throw punches, but he did what he always does--back up to the cage and look for single power punches.

Against an opponent who's sole strategy is to clinch and take you down, backing up to the fence without throwing punches is the worst possible strategy. Woodley demonstrated no fight IQ, which cost him the belt. I'm confident that Colby would have done the same thing to Woodley. We saw Jake Shields employ a similar strategy, but I figured that Woodley would have figured things out in the six years since that fight. I was mistaken. It's pretty clear that Woodley's weakness is grinding wrestlers.

this.

which is why after Colby vs RDA, i concluded that Colby would beat Woodley if they fight, and this fight just proves it even more.

One sided, total domination. No offense. You cant back up to the fence against a guy like Usman.

I was fairly surprised by the height difference during the weigh in

Woodley is jacked but he's sort of under sized for a WW.

The size difference was definitely a factor.

I'm not surprised by all the folks happy to see Tyron lose, and I am not making an excuse for him, but why does it seem like I am the only one who feels like size was a major factor?

Woodley may be a thicc boi but he isn't a big WW... Usman meanwhile is arguably the biggest WW Ive ever seen. Every ounce of that dude is muscle, unlike Till who, while massive, is significantly softer and has zero ufc caliber grappling in his arsenal.

I feel like if Usman wasn't dwarfing Tyron, that he wouldn't have been able to employ that gameplan. He doesnt have the striking to do it with striking alone, and honestly i don't think his wrestling is as good as Tyron's when all else is equal.

Bravo and well done to Usman but does anyone else feel like it was a major factor?
Till is a huge WW. Tyron destroyed him. Tyron got beat by a better fighter. Don't worry, he released his rap album. He's a rapper, TMZ star and actor. He also did a good job in the press conference. Usman just got in the octagon and kicked some @ss. He didn't seem to care about the other stuff. I'd like to see Usman do that to Askren as well.

Never have i ever felt like Woodley was fighting a goddamn middleweight until now
tumblr_meeojfTIFX1qfbfqro1_400.gif

Woodley was always overrated as fuck........he got lucky with a couple well timed punches but he has never had the tools to be considered an all-time great. Flash in the pan, very one dimensional. Ironically he got bested by his own style.

He said "defended against", and height does not always make one equal in size or mass.
eh, defending is just abnother fight.

woodley has faught guys as big as usman his whole career.

funny now that size and mass doesnt equal height, when all sherdog posters ramble on about is height.

Well they both made WW and both are physically imposing in each of there own way. Usman is just better and uses what works for him at a tremendous work rate. He use to be more boring but now he is more active with striking and I can stand to watch him fight now.

Back