Am I the only one who feels that size was a major factor in Woodley vs Usman?

MechMA

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I'm not surprised by all the folks happy to see Tyron lose, and I am not making an excuse for him, but why does it seem like I am the only one who feels like size was a major factor?

Woodley may be a thicc boi but he isn't a big WW... Usman meanwhile is arguably the biggest WW Ive ever seen. Every ounce of that dude is muscle, unlike Till who, while massive, is significantly softer and has zero ufc caliber grappling in his arsenal.

I feel like if Usman wasn't dwarfing Tyron, that he wouldn't have been able to employ that gameplan. He doesnt have the striking to do it with striking alone, and honestly i don't think his wrestling is as good as Tyron's when all else is equal.

Bravo and well done to Usman but does anyone else feel like it was a major factor?

Woodley has defended against bigger people and been fighting bigger fighters his whole career.

Why is this fight the exception?

Woodley has defended against bigger people and been fighting bigger fighters his whole career.

Why is this fight the exception?

Who else was Usman sized besides Till?

Never have i ever felt like Woodley was fighting a goddamn middleweight until now

Bigger and stronger and skilled got the win, just any old wrestler wasn't going to pull off that win.

I think someone should give Woodley a book “Lateral movement for dummies” and this way he won’t have to just back up to the cage all fight.

Woodley seems to freeze up when he's facing pressure grapplers.

But yes. I was shocked at how much bigger Usman was. It looked like they were a weight class apart.

It wasn't about size. It was about Woodley's inability to: (1) make adjustments; and (2) listen to his corner. Usman did the same thing he always does--move forward, clinch, and hold his opponent down. Woodley's corner basically begged him to move forward and throw punches, but he did what he always does--back up to the cage and look for single power punches.

Against an opponent who's sole strategy is to clinch and take you down, backing up to the fence without throwing punches is the worst possible strategy. Woodley demonstrated no fight IQ, which cost him the belt. I'm confident that Colby would have done the same thing to Woodley. We saw Jake Shields employ a similar strategy, but I figured that Woodley would have figured things out in the six years since that fight. I was mistaken. It's pretty clear that Woodley's weakness is grinding wrestlers.

No. I thought size played a large component. *shrugs*

Who else was Usman sized besides Till?

Never have i ever felt like Woodley was fighting a goddamn middleweight until now
really ?? lets start off with till is 6'0...

maia - 6'1
thompson - 6'0
lawler - 5'11
dhk - 6'1.5
rory - 6'0
condit - 6'2
shields - 6'0
heiron - 6'0
marquardt - 6'0
mein - 6'0

It wasn't about size. It was about Woodley's inability to: (1) make adjustments; and (2) listen to his corner. Usman did the same thing he always does--move forward, clinch, and hold his opponent down. Woodley's corner basically begged him to move forward and throw punches, but he did what he always does--back up to the cage and look for single power punches.

Against an opponent who's sole strategy is to clinch and take you down, backing up to the fence without throwing punches is the worst possible strategy. Woodley demonstrated no fight IQ, which cost him the belt. I'm confident that Colby would have done the same thing to Woodley. We saw Jake Shields employ a similar strategy, but I figured that Woodley would have figured things out in the six years since that fight. I was mistaken. It's pretty clear that Woodley's weakness is grinding wrestlers.
it’s so amazing how Woodley made it that far at the highest level with that dubious back-to-the-cage gameplan

Must’ve been so frustrating for Din to witness 25 minutes of that

Last edited:
Woodley is massive man, cuts from well over 200lbs. I wouldn't be surprised if he outweighed Usman.

I would say pressure and aggression played a bigger part than size alone...

Did you ever feel like Woodley's success over guys was moreso attributed to his speed and power and not skill?

It's fun giving people zero credit!

I'm not surprised by all the folks happy to see Tyron lose, and I am not making an excuse for him, but why does it seem like I am the only one who feels like size was a major factor?

Woodley may be a thicc boi but he isn't a big WW... Usman meanwhile is arguably the biggest WW Ive ever seen. Every ounce of that dude is muscle, unlike Till who, while massive, is significantly softer and has zero ufc caliber grappling in his arsenal.

I feel like if Usman wasn't dwarfing Tyron, that he wouldn't have been able to employ that gameplan. He doesnt have the striking to do it with striking alone, and honestly i don't think his wrestling is as good as Tyron's when all else is equal.

Bravo and well done to Usman but does anyone else feel like it was a major factor?
The biggest WW? I’d say he is top 10, but not biggest WW. Have you seen the gorilla Till?

Back