Alternative wrestling styles

Knockouts are rare from what I've seen in Senegalese wrestling but I've seen some great ones.

And just in case someone hasn't seen this before

Nice list of alternative wrestling styles, anyone know if any of them have any benefit tho? Holt?

That was interesting. Seems like a lot more clinch fighting and relatively few take down attempts. I guess based on the rules, you have to be relatively conservative. Here's what a fall counts as:
"The rules: the combat area is delimited by a circle, and the first man to have all four limbs touching the ground, to be lying on his back, or to fall out of the circle, loses the fight."
Source: http://observers.france24.com/en/20...port-athlete-dakar-fight-folklore-charm-magic

Nice list of alternative wrestling styles, anyone know if any of them have any benefit tho? Holt?
The wrestling style I did, Swiss Schwingen definitely helped with my Collegiate wrestling. Didnt do shit to help my BJJ

That was interesting. Seems like a lot more clinch fighting and relatively few take down attempts. I guess based on the rules, you have to be relatively conservative. Here's what a fall counts as:
"The rules: the combat area is delimited by a circle, and the first man to have all four limbs touching the ground, to be lying on his back, or to fall out of the circle, loses the fight."
Source: http://observers.france24.com/en/20...port-athlete-dakar-fight-folklore-charm-magic

For sure the one fall wins leads to a pretty long feeling out process, and that is one of the more action packed fights, but I really like the pawing and feeling out of distance.

Any ruleset that focuses on clinch fighting I find really interesting. Especially if strikes are involved.

Dan Gable trained for the friggin Olympics by doing go after go of upper body type drills with Iowa Football players. Bruce Baumgartner trained with football players too.

Lineman skill carries over quite nicely into grappling.

One should legitimately be allowed to say, "yes I used to play American Football", and or "Rugby" when asked if they have any grappling training.

One should legitimately be allowed to say, "yes I used to play American Football", and or "Rugby" when asked if they have any grappling training.
I absolutely agree. There is so much crossover between its participants. Supposedly the Dallas Cowboys were in talks with Alexander Karelin back when he was on top. How crazy is that?

I absolutely agree. There is so much crossover between its participants. Supposedly the Dallas Cowboys were in talks with Alexander Karelin back when he was on top. How crazy is that?

Holy shit! Wat?!

I read it in an old periodical article. I'll see if I can dig it up.
The best I can find right now is a 1991 sports illustrated piece that says
"He is agile enough to do splits and backflips. And so, there are rumors that he may seek a new challenge such as freestyle wrestling or even American football....."
I remember reading more about it in some obscure newspaper article years ago when I was looking for info on the 1991 greco Roman world cup. If I find more il post more.

https://www.si.com/vault/1991/05/13...on-of-massive-physique-and-imposing-intellect

Knockouts are rare from what I've seen in Senegalese wrestling but I've seen some great ones.

And just in case someone hasn't seen this before

Bareknuckle fighting is going to have less power shots because the fighters have no protection on their fists.

Also, Lucha Libre. People bash professional wrestlers but they really underestimate just how good of a physical condition you'd have to be in to perform those acrobatics.

Bareknuckle fighting is going to have less power shots because the fighters have no protection on their fists.

A single takedown also wins you the fight so the level of commitment you can put into going off throwing power strikes is pretty limited.

The wrestling style I did, Swiss Schwingen definitely helped with my Collegiate wrestling. Didnt do shit to help my BJJ
Woah, I thought you where joking originally. Where did you do Schwingen? In America?

Have you read this?

It's all about the evolution from Collar-And-Elbow to today's American Folkstyle.

https://www.amazon.com/Magnificent-...3783432&sr=8-1&keywords=magnificent+scufflers

61Q%2BSDNmmZL.jpg

Last edited:
Also, Lucha Libre. People bash professional wrestlers but they really underestimate just how good of a physical condition you'd have to be in to perform those acrobatics.

Isn't this where it came from?

Indigenous wrestling of Mexico: Jaguar wrestling

Back