Alternate Game Plans for Cain?

Yeah I agree. Although I hope he's done something to improve his chances of landing them successfully, as there is a clear kink in JDS's chain I believe. I was watching the JDS vs Carwin fight tonight and even Carwin was landing kicks on his lead leg. If Cain can hit leg kicks, it could be instrumental in slowing JDS down and enabling him to successfully hit takedowns. But as I said to my roommate tonight, it's like prime Liddell all over again, he's just got so much power, guy's can't afford to be in there and get tagged or it's game over

As has been said though JDS has shown exellent counters to lowkicks and I'd say Cain isnt nearly as good at timing them as someone like Jardine. If theres a similar weakness I'd say its more that JDS has fairly limated head/hip movement and does often depend on his chin.

What I'd say Cain can take from Jardine is how effective Keiths movement was, that is staying beyond punching distance much of the time then quickly moving forward. The weakness of an offence like Chucks or JDS's based mostly on big looping shots is IMHO going to be fast backwards and forward movement. Straight punches, knees and kicks will always be a more effective counter to such movement where as those big overhands and uppercuts have a very limated range of impact in terms of distance.

The only way Cain can possibly beat JDS would be GnP or a lucky punch. Cains stand up is just plain not on the same level as JDS. He has mid level professional boxing caliber stand up which is light years above the average mma fighters striking. And thats what Cain stand up is average but with big power.

Leg kicks. Feinting takedowns to connect a haymaker. Ultimately, agressive win-or-lose wrestling Sonnen style.

The original game plan, to work away at JDS' legs would have worked. JDS does sit heavy on his front leg so he can generate the power in his punches, the only problem is if he hits you it's game over, so it's a risky strategy, especially in the first few rounds.

That shit isn't gonna work. Every time Cain landed a leg kick JDS nailed him with a body shot. He's too hittable to work that kind of gameplan on the feet against a striker.

I actually think the gameplan will be to get JDS tired in clinch for a round or two (Cain has shown better skills in the clinch so far, but getting there will be tricky), and only then move on to takedowns and gnp. Whether or not it will work is beyond me.

Well you compared him to boxers and this isn't a boxing match, you said it like Cain is gonna try and stand with him the whole fight. I'm gonna pretend you said what is the alternate gameplan if he can't get JDS down to the ground. My guess would be, work the clinch against the cage and dirty box JDS ala Randy Couture. Probably clinch and try to tire out JDS then when/if JDS slows down, go for the TD and hopefully get it then from there its GnP to either a decision or a late TKO victory.

Of course he has to not get caught by JDS early on, later on I think is where Cain will start to take over if he survives the initial 2 rounds.

Back