Opinion Almost 23 years later, how do you assess Bill Clinton?

He was ok - basically got all this credit because the internet was being born under his tenure.

He did what the GOP controlled Congress wanted him to do economically, and good results followed. Some major foreign policy errors, including doing nothing in Rwanda, and bombing the Serbs out of Kosovo. The latter was largely Serbia's fault - Kosovo was just another of the Serbs' ethnic cleansing drives at the time, and the world was correctly sick of them. But the end outcome of Serbia losing their territory was not right.

The economy was good but I don’t put a lot of that on the President. Policy wise, he was fairly reasonable but he really started the globalist push.

Somehow he’s even more creepy and shady than when he was committing domestic terrorism and getting mouth hugs from fat girls.

Couldn't stand the guy when he was US president. Had the plastic charisma of a used car salesman and I quickly became sick of hearing about his debauchery.
Subsequent US presidents have done a lot to improve my opinion by comparison of course.

The economy was good but I don’t put a lot of that on the President. Policy wise, he was fairly reasonable but he really started the globalist push.
How would you chalk up Clinton as the start? He sure as shit wasn't the start of neoliberalism.
The Atlas Network was started in '81 and the Mont Pelerin society '47. Carter, Reagan and Thatcher all parroted their ideas. The difference with Clinton was that he was no longer doing it in response to Communism.

A very normal president in very normal times

NAFTA proved America came last and criminal politicians are untouchable.

23 years later and all I can think about is how fucked up do you have to be to get caught with your hand inside the Monica Lewinsky cookie jar, lie about it like a filthy rotten scoundrel, get caught lying like a stinking rotten swine, wallowing in its own filth. Then just persist on doubling, tripling, quardrupling down, etc. etc. by allowing yourself to be flipped around and tagged repeatedly on spin cycle by a notorious blackmailer and possibly the GOAT child sex trafficker

How would you chalk up Clinton as the start? He sure as shit wasn't the start of neoliberalism.
The Atlas Network was started in '81 and the Mont Pelerin society '47. Carter, Reagan and Thatcher all parroted their ideas. The difference with Clinton was that he was no longer doing it in response to Communism.
He signed NAFTA. That was the death knell for the working and middle class and gave companies free reign to outsource and cheap goods to flood the market.

Free trade is absolute bullshit. It should be Fair Trade. Free trade allows for the import of cheap goods from other countries with virtually zero restriction. You can't compete with that.

He signed NAFTA. That was the death knell for the working and middle class and gave companies free reign to outsource and cheap goods to flood the market.

Free trade is absolute bullshit. It should be Fair Trade. Free trade allows for the import of cheap goods from other countries with virtually zero restriction. You can't compete with that.
OK, but it's certainly not as if Clinton was the start of American presidents setting up and advocating free trade and free market economics.
Specifically in regards to first wave neoliberalism, Carter kicked off the deregulation, and Reagan turned it up a shitload (both Carter and Clinton were more "3rd way" with social spending) with the creation of the WTO (and set the ball rolling for NAFTA with the Canada-United States Free trade agreement). Bush Sr was right there as well with NAFTA negotiations.

Ronald Reagan said:
“Our trade policy rests firmly on the foundation of free and open markets. I recognize … the inescapable conclusion that all of history has taught: The freer the flow of world trade, the stronger the tides of human progress and peace among nations.”

Now is the guy a pedo? Yes I would bet my life on it. Kinda sucks he ruined his legacy with it but it is what it is.
Bill is a clear and documented womanizer and very likely guilty of sex crimes but as far as I'm aware there's no evidence or accusations that he is paedophile.

About as equal as Obama, a competent socially moderate neocon, a better option that the two front runners in the upcoming election.

I am a little young to judge him fairly as I was like 13 maybe when he left office. But I do know the economy was not booming because of him. People wrongly correlate the president’s success with the economies success at the time. In actuality most of the things the president can do to affect the economy isn’t felt until after they are out of office. And in the case of things like Reagonomics, we didn’t start seeing the destructive trend of it until a decade later. Weirdly we’ve let it keep rolling though.

Back