Allan Goes Jiu Jitsu Gym - Mission Viejo

Trend Starter

White Belt
Reaction score
I am surprised no one has really brought up Allan Goes's gym in any bjj gym discussions. It may be because it is a smaller gym and not well advertised. Goes is a Jiu Jitsu legend and trained directly under Carlson Gracie. http://www.goesjiujitsu.com/

He is an incredibly talented and a smart martial artist, he is still young to grapple effectively and dominate any of his students, I feel like he would be a great trainer. Also I heard there are a ton of blue, purple, and brown belts training there.

My question is, has anybody trained at his gym or have heard anything about how effective his training is? Also, how much is the monthly fee and start up fee?

Last edited:
A buddy of mine trained there. He said a lot of good things. Allan is very fun and approachable and keeps a good mood in his classes when he teaches, that is what I got from it. Allan is a legend for sure and has a great guard to boot.

Not to be rude, but is the word "legend" being used too loosely there? Anyways, that's really cool to know a black belt under Carlson is in the OC :) Or if not, someone who trained under him at least.

allan never won a world title in bjj but had some epic fights in pride against some very tough opponents. Using the word legend is not too miuch of a stretch, he was known for his crafty guard work.

He fought in the old days of NHB/MMA against guys bigger than him and held his own. Fought in the old BJJ days. Has a version of open guard named after him. Dude is as legit as they come. BJ Penn thinks high enough of him that he went to him to learn stuff.

He fought in the old days of NHB/MMA against guys bigger than him and held his own. Fought in the old BJJ days. Has a version of open guard named after him. Dude is as legit as they come. BJ Penn thinks high enough of him that he went to him to learn stuff.

I just watched an old pride with Goes in it. His open guard work was crazy compared to what renzo, rickson, wallid, etc. were doing at that time. I've never heard of goes guard though, what is that? It's not just closed guard with an overbook or something is it?

I just watched an old pride with Goes in it. His open guard work was crazy compared to what renzo, rickson, wallid, etc. were doing at that time. I've never heard of goes guard though, what is that? It's not just closed guard with an overbook or something is it?

Goes Guard is an open guard with a foot(or feet) on the hip(s) and a hand controlling the ankle. BJ shows a couple sweeps from Goes guard in one of his books. The first open guard sweeps I learned were from Goes guard. The push/pull and the sickle sweep counter.

Open-Guard-Sweep1.png

That’s Stephen Kesting showing a sweep from Goes Open Guard.

Last edited:
Yeah the dude is definetely a legend. It's not always about records and championships. He's pushing and evolving bjj to a whole other level and people are following and learning it effectively. So yeah, he's a legend

his fight with sakuraba was badass!! it would be an honor to train with him!! and that goes gaurd is tailor made for mma

his website is down..did his school close?

i've been taught by him twice...he's a cool guy, very nice.
Can't say the same about his right hand guy, some old dude, nice but little to much force when "showing technique".

He's still around and his school is fully operating. I saw a few of his guys and fought one of them at a recent tournament, blue belt level. Not sure how many students he has or what ranks are the majority, but they are out here and competing. From what i saw they are 100% legit for their belt ranks also, IMO . Solid technique and tough guys

I trained at allan's at 2008 and my brother just a year ago. His school is legit and he knows what he is doing, but he kind of does it more for money and not as much spreading the knowledge of bjj, but he is very high level and can teach you tons of good shit. He charges for belts (I think, don't flame me please) and has belt "tests" which I feel are BS. I think he might charge for the belt test and not the belt though. Not sure. In the kids class it was mainly his assistant teacher who is still good (purple belt) but I didn't like how he wasn't teaching most of the time. He also hits on the moms of the kids in his kids classes. I saw it firsthand at a tournament. I also trained under some of his high level students, and i heard some stories. I might sound like a hater, but im not really a hater just naming the negatives/downsides. They are many upsides though, like training with high level guys and not a bunch of white/blue belts like some schools.

If you're a black belt and don't train with him for a year he takes your rank away - that's fucked up and completely wrong. As long as he has this policy I wouldn't train with him, at his gym, or with his affiliates as a matter of principle.

If you're a black belt and don't train with him for a year he takes your rank away - that's fucked up and completely wrong. As long as he has this policy I wouldn't train with him, at his gym, or with his affiliates as a matter of principle.

brazilians are weird like that

Allen goes did extremely well against sakuraba in pride. That being said, I never heard of a goes guard. And I have trained with Carlson black belts

There's a supposed BJJ black belt in the Philippines saying that he's a black belt under Allan Goes? His name is Cleus Reamico.

Here's his Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ReamicoJiujitsuCamSur

He has a lot of students there in the Philippines from what I've heard, and I want to know if this guy is really credible to teach Jiu Jitsu. The most alarming part is that he is teaching law enforcement authorities some so called self defense and grappling moves and I am not so sure that this guy is a legitimate BJJ black belt.

If it's possible, can someone under Allan ask for me? Please and thank you!

I trained at allan's at 2008 and my brother just a year ago. His school is legit and he knows what he is doing, but he kind of does it more for money and not as much spreading the knowledge of bjj, but he is very high level and can teach you tons of good shit. He charges for belts (I think, don't flame me please) and has belt "tests" which I feel are BS. I think he might charge for the belt test and not the belt though. Not sure. In the kids class it was mainly his assistant teacher who is still good (purple belt) but I didn't like how he wasn't teaching most of the time. He also hits on the moms of the kids in his kids classes. I saw it firsthand at a tournament. I also trained under some of his high level students, and i heard some stories. I might sound like a hater, but im not really a hater just naming the negatives/downsides. They are many upsides though, like training with high level guys and not a bunch of white/blue belts like some schools.

Last edited:
Goes was a highly respected fighter in the dark ages. I remember Mark Coleman almost killing him with knees to the head. He'll of a fighter though.

WATCH out for your wife or girlfriend that's for sure since there are only 2 women training there in the last year. Allan hits on absolutely all of his women students regardless of age and marital status -hope the dude is in good mental / physical health. The gym is very poorly run, Allen constantly missing the class and having a brown belt teaching instead. There are just a few adults white belts in pm and few brown/black belt in am classes witch actually lead the class while Allen is constantly on his phone and guiding the class sitting on the couch. Heard he kicked out few of his male students with minor disabilities for "not fitting ". Whatever his jiujitsu future business plan is..obviously NOT working.

Last edited:
Back