All 3 judges scored 29-28 for Costa

Thank god they did not fall for the showboating and tactics of yoel the cheater.

It worked on the fans though - get beat up most of the fight while making mocking gestures and fighting back just enough to sway clueless fans.

And dom cruz is one of the most biased and knee jerk pbp announcers ever - he makes larry merchant look like he is mr. calm.

I think round 2 is a good example of a round where you could argue that the striking was even and that Costa won it by aggression/octagon control. I personally thought he won round 2 with effective striking alone but could see someone saying it was even since Romero landed like 3 more strikes but Costa's strikes landed a little more solidly and it coming down to aggression/octagon control.

It was a very great fight though and I was impressed with Costa's technique and pace.
Good detail as always. Cheers.

Because there is an alarming number of people on here who don't understand what "unanimous decision" signifies. They seem to think that if it's a close fight, then it has to be reflected by a split decision. Obviously, this line of thinking makes no sense, but as a collective, MMA fans aren't exactly brightest bunch.
Jon Jones even made a very similar comment after the fight.
"Definitely a good fight, I don’t see how that was a unanimous decision Costa"
It seems like many people think that "unanimous decision" means you won every round.

Idk to me it was an obvious 29-28 Romero. I was actually surprised when I heard the name of Costa. Even though I was pleasantly surprised by his performance and became a fan, I gave that 2nd round to Romero.
I'd have to rewatch it tho, but I felt like Costa started just walking forward like a zombie without the pressure he had in the 1st round. He didn't look the same idk.
when I watched it live, I was wondering who would win. Judges scored Costa and I was ok with it, but wanted to watch again. 2nd time I watched it, no doubts, Costa clearly won r2.
this impression did not change after i watched it 3rd time. Costa won it.

The judges don't get to see the fight stats when they are actually judging the rounds, wich always seemed weird to me.
Why use actual fight stats when we can rely on the gutfeeling of a judge who thinks 1 guy kinda looked better then the other 1.
This is just one of many reasons MMA is a joke instead of a sport.

I’m pretty sure it’s the octagon control and agression.

Because there is an alarming number of people on here who don't understand what "unanimous decision" signifies. They seem to think that if it's a close fight, then it has to be reflected by a split decision. Obviously, this line of thinking makes no sense, but as a collective, MMA fans aren't exactly brightest bunch.

WTF are you talking about? I scored that fight a split decision, it was either that or a majority draw--I couldn't see it scored any other way.

LOL

splitcover.0.png

I am trying to understand relation of these statistics and the scoring , can anyone explain ?
I guess combination of better statistics in body strikes and advancing , with worse head strikes stats , equals to winning a fight with 29-28 ? How is that calculated ? Where are takedown stats ?
EIhWLxg.png
did u watch the fight???? pretty clear if u watched the fight who won? yoel kept trying to eat pussy during the fight

This doesn't make any sense. If you can understand the scoring for Costa then you can understand all three judges independently deciding to give it to him.
If it's defensible to score it for Costa, then why is it bad that the decision was unanimous?

I think it’s kind of interesting that not one judge saw the fight for Romero. Especially since quite of few professional fighters, including a majority of the Anaheim crowd saw otherwise.

I am just moreso speaking on the quality of mma judging in general. It’s why I personally don’t enjoy the current round by round scoring rather than the fight judged as a whole.

Again I’m not screaming robbery or dirty fight. I’m just saying interesting scoring for the fight.

I scored round 1 to Costa. Thought he clearly took it.
Round 2 was extremely close, I still have it to Costa but if you give it to Yoel I don't blame you.
Round 3 , clearly Romero.

That's it.
A UD is comical though.
Still, too close to be a robbery.

Rope a dope is not something you should do in mma

I hade The same score card. I thought Costa hit with The harder punches. Everything he threw was with power.

I think it’s kind of interesting that not one judge saw the fight for Romero. Especially since quite of few professional fighters, including a majority of the Anaheim crowd saw otherwise.

I am just moreso speaking on the quality of mma judging in general. It’s why I personally don’t enjoy the current round by round scoring rather than the fight judged as a whole.

Again I’m not screaming robbery or dirty fight. I’m just saying interesting scoring for the fight.
No. It's not interesting.

What would be interesting is if a judge gave Costa round 3 or Romero round 1. Otherwise, the scoring of all 3 judges was defensible, and completely unremarkable.

The only strange scorecard the entire night was Luis Cobian scoring round 3 for Brandon Davis over Kyung Ho Kang.

The stats are misleading. Yoel did the majority of his work in the 3rd round which he won. First 2 were Costa, easy.

I am trying to understand relation of these statistics and the scoring , can anyone explain ?
I guess combination of better statistics in body strikes and advancing , with worse head strikes stats , equals to winning a fight with 29-28 ? How is that calculated ? Where are takedown stats ?
EIhWLxg.png
takedown stats? Yoel only got 1 and it happened when there was literally 3 seconds left in round 2...that dont count for shit. Costa was the aggressor for most of round 1 and 2, Romero was always backing up and the judges dont like that, aggression score you points

Not all strikes are created equal. Volume alone shouldn’t get you a decision.
It’s possible the judges saw Costa’s strikes as more effective

I scored it for Yoel.
I can understand the scoring for Costa. I’m not crying robbery. The Unanimous Decision was pretty bad though.
As did I. I was surprised not to hear split decision. Thought a judge would give Yoel the 2nd.
Costa was lucky it wasnt a 5 rounder. He was done

It's friggn amazing isn't it?

If it's defensible to score it for Costa, then why is it bad that the decision was unanimous?

Complaining that something was a unanimous decision literally makes no sense

When you score a fight you have either fighter winning or a draw. For a unanimous decision to make no sense you're basically having to say that it's right for people to disagree with you...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back