• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Aljo vs Sugar Sean the biggest weight bullys in MMA

Until there is a rule change this will be common practice. Virtually every fight outside of HW is cutting 10-15lbs minimum. This is not the 90's or even 00's anymore. Fighter are much more skilled and giving up 15-20lbs is not a competitive option anymore. Personally I would love to have same day weigh ins or something along that lines to put an end to all this. Until that time this is something that every fighter does to some extent, don't bitch about the guys that do it well. These are the rules and everything they do meets those expectations.

Yes Marlon was even bigger and look at him now, immediately goes up to FW in PFL with his chin completely shot. Prime candidate for major CTE and liver failure after he retires.

Lettuce only diet Aldo was just sad showing up to the cage with his cheeks still sunken, in a good world a doctor would have shut it down.

You missed the point, but do carry on.

I don't take anyone serious who uses the term "weight bully". Seriously, shut the fuck up.

Have you seen Cory Sandhagen? Patchy Mix? Umar Nurmagomedov? Montel Jackson? etc.

Agreed. Anyone who uses the term "weight bully" gets their Man Card permanently revoked.

these guys could easily be LWs going all the way down to 135, Chito has said Aljo is walking around near 180lbs while 5'11" Sean admits making weight feels like death

besides at heavyweight, will there ever again be a UFC champion that doesn't cut water weight?
This weight bully shit is nonsense. Everybody below HW cuts weight. It’s just that everytime a Sherdogger hates a certain fighter. They are automatically a weight bully.

It’s pretty lame at this point, imo. Either call them all weight bullies, or none of them weight bullies.

Nah these are two small guys and would only be 180 if they are between fights and eating McDonald's

I honestly thought Aljo looked pretty frail compared to Cejudo. Was not expecting that.

The lower weight classes in mma and boxing seem to inhibit growth with strict dieting and limited strength and conditioning work from the larger framed fighters in the divisions leaving them with frail child like physiques

I don't take anyone serious who uses the term "weight bully". Seriously, shut the fuck up.

Have you seen Cory Sandhagen? Patchy Mix? Umar Nurmagomedov? Montel Jackson? etc.
Cory Sandhagen is naturally a twin that absorbed the other one in the womb. That's why he looks so big all the time. Nothing he can do about that

these guys could easily be LWs going all the way down to 135, Chito has said Aljo is walking around near 180lbs while 5'11" Sean admits making weight feels like death

besides at heavyweight, will there ever again be a UFC champion that doesn't cut water weight?
Colby

I'd give anything to see the actual weight of both fighters plastered up on the screen the second before they walk into the cage.

I'd love to have Bruce Buffer read out both fighters actual weight at that moment before they start the fight.

"In the blue corner. He's a wrestler with a combined record of x-x. Fighting out of x. He weighed in yesterday at 135lbs, but today he is currently at 176lbs...."

Weight cutting is a fucking joke. I don't care what someone weighed yesterday if they're fighting today. Considering how much weight some people can put back in such a small amount of time, it's not fair at all to the fighters.

I’ve got no problem with trashing rules of the sport. But I think it’s silly to trash athletes for taking advantage of them. As long as they’re operating within the ruleset that’s laid out, how can you fault them? You can call for rule changes all you want, but taking advantage of the ruleset is not cheating.

Aljo steps into the cage around 152 pounds and deliberately keeps his weight around that mark during the end of his fight camp, as well. If you're curious, that is not particularly big for a Bantamweight. It's pretty much middle of the road. Cejudo weighed in at 150 when he defended against Marlon.

Oh, and speaking of Marlon. He got flagged by the CSAC for gaining back too much weight on same day he flatlined Aljo, but no one ever called Marlon a weight bully (he came in at 155). Jose Aldo came in even heavier for his Bantamweight debut at 155.5! And those men are both former Featherweights who moved down to Bantamweight specifically to experience greater success than they could against bigger men. Why is the weight bully label not applied to them?

"Weight bully" is a silly term that needs to be dropped from the MMA lexicon.

You're one of like 4-5 guys that consistently makes sense on here.
Somehow you do that without coming across like a pompous ass, I respect that sir.

I wish there was some way to eliminate weight cuts and just keep everyone the same size in the same division, but it's a competition and cutting weight is half of it. Today especially you want to have large frames for your weight class and Alijo does have a big frame, he's also very skinny too.

You're one of like 4-5 guys that consistently makes sense on here.
Somehow you do that without coming across like a pompous ass, I respect that sir.

Much appreciated man. I just really don't like the "weight bully" term because I feel like it falls apart as a narrative with which to legitimately criticize fighters under even the most basic scrutiny. Most of the time it's misapplied to "fighters who are tall for the weight class" or "fighters with good top control" regardless of how much weight they actually cut. And no one ever mentions the fact that weight-cutting is very much a double-edged sword where those who engage in it are in many cases willfully undercutting their own durability and cardio. Not to mention the fact that fighters who spend large portions of their camp cutting weight & rehydrating leading up to a fight have less time for skill-building, game-planning, and otherwise preparing (Poirier and Felder have talked about this, IIRC).

I'm not denying that some fighters are naturally better at cutting weight than others and exploit this natural advantage inside the cage: Islam, Jalin Turner, Ryan Spann, Paulo Costa, Alex Pereira, etc. They are big, big boys. But since when has any sport been a level playing field? Ryan Phelps is maybe the best swimmer ever because he's a freak of nature who possesses a body that looks like it was hand-crafted for the sole purpose of gliding through water as efficiently as possible. Even if we just narrow our focus to MMA, other fighters enjoy all sorts of "unfair" physical advantages. Pavlovich & Jon Jones have orangutan arms that allow them to punch opponents from the other side of the cage. Max Holloway, Colby Covington, Tony Ferguson, etc. have endless gas tanks that would allow them to fight for ten rounds straight at elevation without even breathing heavy. Dudes like Holloway and Blagoy Ivanov seem physically impossible to knock out even with a sledgehammer. Some guys have the touch of death and are able to put their opponent to sleep with a half-hearted grazing jab.

These are all fundamentally "unfair" physical advantages which good fighters can and do exploit over their opponents every day inside the cage. Yet it's comparably rare that we see anyone calling someone a "chin bully" or a "cardio bully" or a "power bully". It happens occasionally, but compared to weight bully accusations they're pretty infrequent and instead you often see fighters being lauded for the above traits rather than insulted. This is despite the fact that the characteristics above are often natural and something the fighter in question is born with and does fairly little if anything to develop -- and they also often come with relatively few downsides. This is often not true for cutting weight, which as mentioned above is very much a double-edged sword and is a particularly intensive challenge for the fighter and their team.

I should note that I'm by no means singing the praises of weight-cutting here. I don't like it. I wish it wasn't a thing. If I had my way, fighters would all compete as close to their "natural" weight as possible. I don't know what that would take -- whether it be CSAC-style oversight, ONE's hydration tests, same-day weigh-ins, multiple weigh-ins, or all of the above -- but I'd like to see it. However, with the sport and the way it exists today, weight-cutting is firmly entrenched as an institution and as such I don't think fighters should be stigmatized for attempting to gain a competitive advantage in one of the few ways they can so long as they're consistently making weight in a safe, healthy, and responsible manner (as much as is possible, anyway).

/rant

Much appreciated man. I just really don't like the "weight bully" term because I feel like it falls apart as a narrative with which to legitimately criticize fighters under even the most basic scrutiny. Most of the time it's misapplied to "fighters who are tall for the weight class" or "fighters with good top control" regardless of how much weight they actually cut. And no one ever mentions the fact that weight-cutting is very much a double-edged sword where those who engage in it are in many cases willfully undercutting their own durability and cardio. Not to mention the fact that fighters who spend large portions of their camp cutting weight & rehydrating leading up to a fight have less time for skill-building, game-planning, and otherwise preparing (Poirier and Felder have talked about this, IIRC).

I'm not denying that some fighters are naturally better at cutting weight than others and exploit this natural advantage inside the cage: Islam, Jalin Turner, Ryan Spann, Paulo Costa, Alex Pereira, etc. They are big, big boys. But since when has any sport been a level playing field? Ryan Phelps is maybe the best swimmer ever because he's a freak of nature who possesses a body that looks like it was hand-crafted for the sole purpose of gliding through water as efficiently as possible. Even if we just narrow our focus to MMA, other fighters enjoy all sorts of "unfair" physical advantages. Pavlovich & Jon Jones have orangutan arms that allow them to punch opponents from the other side of the cage. Max Holloway, Colby Covington, Tony Ferguson, etc. have endless gas tanks that would allow them to fight for ten rounds straight at elevation without even breathing heavy. Dudes like Holloway and Blagoy Ivanov seem physically impossible to knock out even with a sledgehammer. Some guys have the touch of death and are able to put their opponent to sleep with a half-hearted grazing jab.

These are all fundamentally "unfair" physical advantages which good fighters can and do exploit over their opponents every day inside the cage. Yet it's comparably rare that we see anyone calling someone a "chin bully" or a "cardio bully" or a "power bully". It happens occasionally, but compared to weight bully accusations they're pretty infrequent and instead you often see fighters being lauded for the above traits rather than insulted. This is despite the fact that the characteristics above are often natural and something the fighter in question is born with and does fairly little if anything to develop -- and they also often come with relatively few downsides. This is often not true for cutting weight, which as mentioned above is very much a double-edged sword and is a particularly intensive challenge for the fighter and their team.

I should note that I'm by no means singing the praises of weight-cutting here. I don't like it. I wish it wasn't a thing. If I had my way, fighters would all compete as close to their "natural" weight as possible. I don't know what that would take -- whether it be CSAC-style oversight, ONE's hydration tests, same-day weigh-ins, multiple weigh-ins, or all of the above -- but I'd like to see it. However, with the sport and the way it exists today, weight-cutting is firmly entrenched as an institution and as such I don't think fighters should be stigmatized for attempting to gain a competitive advantage in one of the few ways they can so long as they're consistently making weight in a safe, healthy, and responsible manner (as much as is possible, anyway).

/rant
Very well said

All that means is that it's time for "natural" 135ers to start cutting to 125. Let's not forget that Henry is like 5'3 and most of his career has been at 125. He looked small as hell fighting Aljo (yet still gave him a good fight). Size matters, lots of guys at LHW cut because they would be overmatched by a moderately skilled true HW.

Back