Aljamain Sterling shows x-ray of neck injury that is delaying Petr Yan rematch

Neck injury/Spinal Injury= Better retire from Fighting.

Getting surgery now that he is on top, even though from a fluke , he did get to the championship by beating others, wise move it u were him. UFC insurance hopefully kicks in. Can he recover will be tough and doubt speedy. This is why he should vacate, if a speedy recovery likely to defend as is case with other lesser joint surgery then fine as long as within one year. As soon as that year probability slips give it up.

As someone who does this for a living, I can assure you the chance of that is slim to none:

-first off that’s an MRI not a radiograph or X-ray. Axial (top down view) cut on right, saggital on left. T2 weighted to show nerve roots and cord best

- that’s a very small herniation with some but not a lot of foraminal stenosis. Hardly impressive at all. That being said, treat the patient not the image

- I’m not aware of all the non operative treatments he’s had. I’d recommend selective nerve root blocks till the cows come home because that’s not overly impressive. But if he’s done all that and is still miserable then maybe

- what are his symptoms? Can he not do a push up due to actual triceps weakness? Or is it weakness from pain. If it’s actual weakness and he’s done all the non op stuff then yea he’s probably a surgical candidate

- what type of surgery should he get? Fusion is the standard answer. But disc replacements have grown in popularity, especially in young active people, due to their faster recovery. I’ve had patients return to power lifting (against my recommendation I should point out) at 8 weeks post disc arthroplasty. A fusion needs 3 plus months before you can do anything over 10 lbs of lifting. A final option would be a minimally invasive foraminotomy. Think a mini rotorouter around the nerve root. Recovery time on that is the quickest of all. He could be back to activity at 4 weeks, and training at 2-3 months. But, this is what Peyton Manning initially tried and we all know his turned out...

Aljo said in a recent interview that he has been managing this injury for about 10 years. He also mentioned weakness and muscle atrophy in his arm. Severe/long term nerve compression can lead to permanent strength loss and atrophy of the innervated muscles. (Happened to one of my instructor's patients. Stubborn bodybuilder that didn't want to stop training until he noticed one of his triceps started to atrophy. Finally got surgery and then was pissed off his triceps never returned to normal). Which is why I support his decision to get the surgery now instead of waiting - especially given the nature of his occupation. It appears the conversation between him and his surgeon has led to surgery as his best option - not only for his health, but also his career.

Aljo said in a recent interview that he has been managing this injury for about 10 years. He also mentioned weakness and muscle atrophy in his arm. Severe/long term nerve compression can lead to permanent strength loss and atrophy of the innervated muscles. (Happened to one of my instructor's patients. Stubborn bodybuilder that didn't want to stop training until he noticed one of his triceps started to atrophy. Finally got surgery and then was pissed off his triceps never returned to normal). Which is why I support his decision to get the surgery now instead of waiting - especially given the nature of his occupation. It appears the conversation between him and his surgeon has led to surgery as his best option - not only for his health, but also his career.
Yea I didn’t realize he had actual weakness. Not worth waiting it out. He made the right move. He should recover though. And with his disc arthroplasty, he should be back training sooner than a fusion

Regardless its like clockwork that everytime a fighter wins the title they start finding injuries restricting them from fighting
As soon as fighters have the leverage over the UFC to prioritize their health over the company's desires they take advantage of it? ok

As soon as fighters have the leverage over the UFC to prioritize their health over the company's desires they take advantage of it? ok

I mean they don't really have leverage. Especially in Sterling's case when he isn't even the best BW

I mean they don't really have leverage. Especially in Sterling's case when he isn't even the best BW
i mean fighters seeking a title shot absolutely have less leverage than fighters that have the title. not even really a question

You wanna know something? I believe him. The way Yan dropped him on his head several times so viciously is bound to cause such severe injuries to the neck.

I'm shocked people don't believe Aljo. Dude got dumped on his head at least a couple of times by Yan, it shouldn't be immediately assumed that he's lying. He's gonna have to defend his belt eventually, there's no reason to assume he's ducking.

I'm shocked people don't believe Aljo. Dude got dumped on his head at least a couple of times by Yan, it shouldn't be immediately assumed that he's lying. He's gonna have to defend his belt eventually, there's no reason to assume he's ducking.

I'm not sure what they don't believe. His surgery has been pretty well documented on social media. They think he's faking a whole surgery? Lol

Why aren't they stripping this guy and putting together Yan vs. Sandhagen for the vacant title?

Does this make too much sense for the UFC?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back