Alien (1979) vs Aliens (1986)

Both are masterpieces that have a completely different style and pace. The first was incredible for its time (go back and watch the trailer, it still stands the test of time and gives me goosebumps) and Scott was a master at building tension in that movie.

Although the second one is considered more action there is still plenty of horror in it and moments of dread, my favourite aspect being the “beep” on the radar. Cameron sure knows how to make a sequel.

Fuck yes, I love this kind of intense action where the humans are in some deep shit, instead of some one superhero type character dealing everything without a problem.

I think it's this score and that combat drop scene that makes me feel like Aliens is the superior movie.

Last edited:
Also Michael Biehn is the most underrated action heroe.

A Navy SEALs podcast I follow jokingly mentioned that Michael Biehn should be made an honorary SEAL. Hes played one in 4 or 5 different movies.

Maybe Alien, but I like Aliens more. Can you guys recommend movies about group of people trying to survive against monster/s?

Virus-1999-movie-poster1.jpg

Have you seen Virus?

While watching this, without any outside input I thought 'This feels like a 80s James Cameron movie.'

As it turns out, the director worked closely with James Cameron on Aliens, Abyss, T2, and Titanic.

And the plot/setting/atmosphere feels like it combined elements of Aliens, T2, and even Titanic.

They're equal to me but very different. Alien is a creepy, slow burn film with a lot of mystery. Aliens is an action packed rollercoaster that never lets up. Alien is probably the "better" film as far as a critic would see it, but I prefer Aliens and that's the film I always choose to watch. I never get tired of it and it's endlessly quotable, it set the standard for sci-fi action films that has rarely been met.

Agreed. I will watch Alien every now and then after it's been years since I've watched it but Aliens I can watch yearly if I wanted to. I actually just rewatched Alien a few weeks ago.

Both are great and it really depends on your mood.

Alien is a movie to watch alone with all the lights off and Aliens is a party movie.

Two all time greats. Looking back at how absolutely amazing they are makes me furious at how far the franchise has fallen over the years.

If Alien and Aliens are both borderline 10/10 films then Alien 3 is like a 7, and it just goes down from there into sub 5 territory with shit like AvP and Covenant.

I respond to this thread once a year.

I prefer Aliens. I'm not gonna bag on Alien because I like it. Ok maybe a little bit - there are just too many corny things that don't work for me anymore. The "gotcha" pose when the Alien gets Dallas, the clunky giant head on that thing, well ok that's about it. It's a great movie.

But Aliens is WAY more re-watchable for me. The characters are frickin' great. The Aliens don't look like guys in suits. It stays respectful to the original. It's in my top 3 all time.

Can you guys recommend movies about group of people trying to survive against monster/s? I love those movies.

The Thing, of course. But surely you've seen it. Pitch Black is kinda sorta ok. Tremors. The Descent. The 3 Stooges episode where that Gorilla is chasing them. Apollo 18 (a little slow and boring...)

Two all time greats. Looking back at how absolutely amazing they are makes me furious at how far the franchise has fallen over the years.

If Alien and Aliens are both borderline 10/10 films then Alien 3 is like a 7, and it just goes down from there into sub 5 territory with shit like AvP and Covenant.

I've read that David Fincher wanted to do a lot different with Alien 3, but there was too much studio involvement. I love almost everything he does, such a shame, we could have had a great third film.

One is not better than the other.

Alien is horror, thru and thru. People say slasher in space and theyre not wrong. It works perfectly.

Aliens is sci-fi action. If alien is sci fi too, then so is this. You just cant be in outer space fighting aliens and not be called science fiction.

Theyre both 10s and honestly, should be watched together.

Im jealous of anyone whos not seen them for the 1st time yet..

Aliens due to the fact the xenomorph comes alive with the hive and coordinated attacks, the original had very little action, it was more suspense with death shots.

Totally different movies enjoy both. Alien is an amazing survival horror film.

Aliens is scifi action at its finest with a dash of horror.

Aliens better on rewatch than Alien. First view was ien for shock value tho.

Aliens better on rewatch than Alien. First view was ien for shock value tho.
Saw a pick of Sigourney Weaver recent damn chick found fountain of youth I think......

555, in the pipe.

The actors not being ready for the chest bursting scene is good, but 80's wins out for me
It's 5 by 5, not 555. It's the quality of signal strength if you're talking on a radio/walkie talkie, with 5 by 5 being the clearest.

Maybe Alien, but I like Aliens more. Can you guys recommend movies about group of people trying to survive against monster/s? I love those movies. Predator, The Terminator and Aliens are my top 3 movies. Also Michael Biehn is the most underrated action heroe.

If you count animals, then Jaws is the gold standard, and other good ones are The Edge, Ghost and the Darkness.

The Thing. Jurassic Park.

Leviathan and Screamers are a pair of Peter Weller movies in your genre that went a little under the radar.

Pitch Black is okay.

It's 5 by 5, not 555. It's the quality of signal strength if you're talking on a radio/walkie talkie, with 5 by 5 being the clearest.

Fuck. Thankyou!!

I think they’re super different but if I had to say my favorite it’d be Aliens.

Back