Movies You objectively cannot pick a better ten year period for films than 1977 - 1987.

1976 is a hell of a year to leave out. Rocky, Taxi Driver, Marathon Man, Carrie, Network, All the President's Men... We really should do eleven year periods because 1987 is a murderers' row as well.

77-87 is an 11 year period.

@650lb Sumo needs to sacrifice Star Wars or Predator.

77-87 is an 11 year period.

@650lb Sumo needs to sacrifice Star Wars or Predator.
The earliest film in my list is Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope (25/5/77). Films released more than ten years later:

Predator (12/6/87)
Robocop (17/7/87)
The Lost Boys (31/7/87)

So although you are right that 77-87 inclusive is eleven years, I've only used two months and six days of the eleventh year.

giphy.gif

Learning about this movie has made me understand the talking cat reference in Rick and morty. It makes more sense now.
I read that Eric Robert's read all his lines in a bathroom in 15 minutes.

I watched Beverly Hills Cop the other night and still enjoyed it.

1950’s was a great decade for film

United States: The Searchers, Rear Window, An American in Paris, Sabrina, On the Waterfront, Bridge on the River Kwai, Night by Northwest, Rebel without a Cause, Sunset Blvd., Ben-Hur, The Searchers, Vertigo, Singing in the Rain, 12 Angry Men, High Noon, The Ten Commandments, The Wild One, The Big Heat, Dial M for Murder, Some Like It Hot, Touch of Evil, Shane, Strangers on a Train, The African Queen, From Here to Eternity, In a Lonely Place, East of Eden, The Asphalt Jungle, Giant, Shane, Limelight, A Streetcar Named Desire, Blackboard Jungle, Seven Year Itch, Gigi, A Place in the Sun

Akira Kurosawa: Rashomon, Scandal, Ikiru, The Idiot, Seven Samurai, Record of a Living Being, Throne of Blood, The Lower Depths, The Hidden Fortress

How fucking dare you! The best year is 1995. We had Rumble in the Bronx.

No Godfather? No bueno.

Lol at listing shit like Robocop. 1970-1980 is a far better 11 year period.

Nope. I don’t see Footloose or Dirty Dancing on that list. Fail.

The thing - 1982
The Thing and Blade Runner (also 1982) are strong suggestions. I could have included the dystopia category in my OP, we also have:

Escape From New York (1981)
Blade Runner (1982)
1984 (1984)
The Running Man (1987)

Near miss: Logan's Run (1976)

Edit: Mad Max 1 - 3 (1979 - 1985) were also released in this period. I suppose they're the post-apocalyptic genre, overlapping with dystopia and sci-fi. '77 - '87 just keeps getting stronger the more you look!

Last edited:
Back