Aldo's keg kicks won't work against Connor...

Nice work getting upset over reality and earning yourself dubs, whitebelt. Now stand down. :icon_lol: He hasn't been finished in over 4 years. That was when he had no takedown defense or submission defense. McGregor is easily the hardest puncher in the division is what it proves. His straight left is money and hasn't been seen since Machida used his to murder the LHW division.

lol, you must be drunk. You said career, right? Then you were wrong. Stop making excuses. He didn't have no TDD or sub defense, he had shit defense and payed for it, in his career.

Next, what's with the "stand down, whitebelt" shtick? Dude, you having a blackbelt on sherdog doesn't mean shit, it just means you post more. If you take that shit seriously and feel good about yourself for your virtual blackbelt, I feel sorry for you, dude.

The idea that rear leg to lead leg low kicks are a bad idea in orthodox vs southpaw matchups is sherdog's latest myth of the week.

Yes, the low can potentially be blocked, but ANY attack can be defended or countered if it isn't timed correctly. If you have a good eye, you most certainly can land consistently, with little risk: attacking the lead leg as the opponent recoils from punches, as he steps forward, putting weight on it, etc, etc...

For an easily-accessible example, watch Petrosyan vs Kraus. While watching Petrosyan work, also note how the lead leg isn't the only target available - he loves to dig into the back leg.

If Aldo wants to focus on the legs, he has the skills to do it. Though I think that he will have to kick high and throw lots of middles as well. That is the key against boxers.

I wouldn't call it a myth but as you said, if it's timed properly and set up then Aldo should have no problem attacking the inside of the leg and not having to worry about a check hurting his foot or shin or kicking his knee by accident. Aldo has broken his foot before by kicking KZ's knee on accident so that's part of why it's been said so much. Then, there's the fact that McGregor destroyed a guy's foot in CWFC with a check to an inside leg kick but that was to a novice that didn't even set the kick up, he just lead with it recklessly.

I think that too many people are putting too much emphasis on Aldo's low kicking game. Aldo's hands have been getting him his wins for while now, the kicks have contributed but haven't ever ended a fight for him directly. If Conor can constantly pressure Aldo then those kicks won't be as powerful because he'll be forced onto his back foot. If Aldo is allowed to press forward with them or McGregor just stands in front of him then sure, he could target either of McGregor's legs a lot potentially, assuming they go unchecked.

Yeah, the total was about 5 less in the Lamas fight than the Faber fight.

Aldo has never been ONLY kicks. He is a guy that uses them when he seems them to be an advantage. But Hominick and Mendes II are where he seemed to abandon them for varying reasons.

I haven't watched either fight in awhile, but from what I remember Aldo had success with his left hook to the body/outside right low kick on Hominick early on in the fight. That's an old Ernesto Hoost combo(I'm aware someone taught it to him but he mastered it IMO) that Aldo uses consistently. After scoring a knockdown on Hominick with I believe a left hook, he started head hunting a bit as opposed to working his combos. Also got tired early and kicks take more energy to execute IMO. Against Mendes he started falling in love with his left hook again, and also couldn't kick too often as Mendes is a top notch wrestler. Aldo needs to earn Conor's respect with his power shots, and also get some early take downs/guard passes to keep him confused. Mendes tagged Aldo so much bc of the threat of the takedown and his clear improvement in boxing. Aldo needs to flip the script on Conor to make this an easier fight for him. A first round takedown off a wild kick followed by some solid grappling pressure/ground and pound would be perfect for Aldo, but I'm hoping it's a five round war mostly standup with a few scrambles/grappling exchanges here and there!

The combo you are mentioning usually is not his power leg kick. I am referring here to his power leg kicks. His combo kicks are not as deadly as his power kicks but you cannot hurt McGregor with soft or setup kicks.

Tell that to Frankie Edgar, Florian, Faber, and the many others he hurt with kicks set up by his combos. Please stop with unfounded claims, the facts are connor is very hittable with his open stance and low guard. People are acting like Aldo has bad boxing now, Frankie Edgar has great boxing and posed way more of threat than Connor and he loss, same with mendes. The difference what they brought to the table that connor lacks is strong wrestling, this will be a stand up fight where connor will be picked apart

lol, you must be drunk. You said career, right? Then you were wrong. Stop making excuses. He didn't have no TDD or sub defense, he had shit defense and payed for it, in his career.

One guy has survived McGregor in his career. Everyone else has been finished, one of them by submission, the rest got knocked out (KO or TKO). The lone survivor was Max Holloway in a fight that McGregor blew his knee out in, and it was only 3 rounds while Aldo-McGregor will be 5. So no, I'm not wrong about one guy going to decision with McGregor. I'm counting his career VICTORIES dummy, not his two losses. And you're repeating what I said, back then his TDD and sub defense was non-existent. That isn't the case anymore. If you think otherwise then watch the Holloway and Brandao fights for his ground game and TDD, and the Siver fight where you'll see his TDD and ability to pop immediately back up to his feet by winning the scrambles and not allowing Siver to score a takedown (both weren't scored takedowns because he couldn't even get a pure second of control/put him on his back).

Next, what's with the "stand down, whitebelt" shtick? Dude, you having a blackbelt on sherdog doesn't mean shit, it just means you post more. If you take that shit seriously and feel good about yourself for your virtual blackbelt, I feel sorry for you, dude.

[YT]WMX_DNeziH0?start=102&end=113[/YT]​

:icon_lol:

im not sure what you mean? the outside low kick is what troubles guys like Conor, but with Conor being a southpaw, Aldo can't hit the outside leg. It's easier to check an inside kick, which Aldo will be forced to do, unless he reaches across Conor's body and goes for the rear leg, which is risky, with Conor sending left straights to Aldo's chin.

No.

Just a few posts ago, I mentioned Aldo vs Brookins and specifically pointed out how well Aldo lands outside leg kicks against a southpaw. He buckled Brookins several times with the outside switch kick to the lead leg. They were just as hard and fast as his bread and butter outside leg kick to a righty.

People are acting like Aldo has bad boxing now, Frankie Edgar has great boxing and posed way more of threat than Connor and he loss, same with mendes.

Neither was (or is) as big of a threat in terms of actual danger of losing his consciousness than McGregor is to Aldo. Mendes has great wrestling, something that doesn't trouble Aldo. Mendes has decent boxing with good power, Frankie has the same minus heavy power in his punches. Aldo is a better boxer than both. Against McGregor he won't be, or at least they'll be closer in skill because their boxing is the best at 145 pounds. McGregor is bigger than Mendes and Frankie too by a lot and hits harder than Mendes. I'm a big Frankie fan, check the sig, so let's just hope that you were talking about 'threat' to losing the title because neither Mendes nor Frankie are more dangerous than Conor.

Some guys here react too much that they seem to bark at a wrong tree.. Nobody is underestimating the skill sets of Aldo - his boxing, his grappling, etc...

The point of this thread is to discuss about the fact that the LEG KICKs of Aldo are the ones that intimidate his opponents. He has to intimidate McG by imposing leg kicks otherwise, McG is very good at controlling distances because of his ability to use his height and reach advantage. But because of their opposing stances, it could doubtful for Aldo to take a risk and allowing McG to counter with straight left. Well, the K.O percentage of McG is impressive enough to stop a fight with a blink of an eye.

One guy has survived McGregor in his career. Everyone else has been finished, one of them by submission, the rest got knocked out (KO or TKO). The lone survivor was Max Holloway in a fight that McGregor blew his knee out in, and it was only 3 rounds while Aldo-McGregor will be 5. So no, I'm not wrong about one guy going to decision with McGregor. I'm counting his career VICTORIES dummy, not his two losses. And you're repeating what I said, back then his TDD and sub defense was non-existent. That isn't the case anymore. If you think otherwise then watch the Holloway and Brandao fights for his ground game and TDD, and the Siver fight where you'll see his TDD and ability to pop immediately back up to his feet by winning the scrambles and not allowing Siver to score a takedown (both weren't scored takedowns because he couldn't even get a pure second of control/put him on his back).

[YT]WMX_DNeziH0?start=102&end=113[/YT]​

:icon_lol:

Awesome.

> talks about career, is wrong
> makes excuses
> decides to only count the fights that don't prove you were wrong
> talks about Sivers panic mode takedowns like they mean anything
> calls me whitebelt
> unable to articulate why that matters
> lets an irrelevant video speak for you

Good talk, kid. Can't wait for your next essay on hand wraps and gameplans.

It isnt rocket science. Cerrone has had several almost stoppages by legkick fighting orthodox fighters. The inside leg kick is harder to hide behind punches. Cerrone has a very hard switch outside while slapping down the opponents lead hand. Aldo should study this kick and parry the lead hand of Conor that he hangs out . Watch the Adriano Martins vs Cerrones fight.

TS isn't giving Aldo enough credit for his fight IQ and kick technique.

TS isn't giving Aldo enough credit for his fight IQ and kick technique.

Come on! Aldo is a among, if not, the p4p's best. It takes more than the fight IQ and technique to achieve this. Mixed martial arts is constantly evolving, the same as every fighter constantly evolves. It just so happen that in this division comes a new challenger with a serious K.O. power. And it's good for us to see another interesting match-up.

For the last few years, I have been bored in this division because of mismatches - of midgets who rely on decisions (or submission, if lucky). Those skill sets won't work against Aldo. But this time, it's unique because McG can stop a fight at any time. This is a good motivation for Aldo and the followers MMA.

Come on! Aldo is a among, if not, the p4p's best. It takes more than the fight IQ and technique to achieve this. Mixed martial arts is constantly evolving, the same as every fighter constantly evolves. It just so happen that in this division comes a new challenger with a serious K.O. power. And it's good for us to see another interesting match-up.

For the last few years, I have been bored in this division because of mismatches - of midgets who rely on decisions (or submission, if lucky). Those skill sets won't work against Aldo. But this time, it's unique because McG can stop a fight at any time. This is a good motivation for Aldo and the followers MMA.

I don't disagree that Connor is a talented fighter with seriously heavy hands, but I take issue with the idea that his straight left from SP stance completely neutralizes Aldo's inside leg kick. A kick that if performed correctly moves Aldo's head offline and away from the straight left.

I don't disagree that Connor is a talented fighter with seriously heavy hands, but I take issue with the idea that his straight left from SP stance completely neutralizes Aldo's inside leg kick. A kick that if performed correctly moves Aldo's head offline and away from the straight left.

Great observation. For anyone to not see this or realize this would make me wonder how much of the intricacies of the fight game does said person really know.

The shernalysis on McGregor is out of fucking control.

This. People keep on saying Aldo won't be able to establish his kicks as though repeating it enough times makes it true.

People say Conor can check leg kicks, which is true and it might keep Aldo's kicks at bay. MIGHT. On the other hand, Aldo kicks faster and sets them up better with his hands than anyone Conor has faced.

People say Conor has a good left counter. He does have a good counter, but it probably won't stop Aldo's leg kicks. He might land some lefts; he might hurt Aldo with it; he MIGHT even win the fight with one. But the fear of one doesn't stop Aldo from kicking in the first place. And it's not like Conor is the first guy Aldo has faced with punching power and an ability to counter. The question will be whether Conor can land a huge counter before Aldo has damaged him to the point that he can't throw it with authority anymore.

People say Aldo won't be able to kick Conor because Conor's a southpaw. This is nonsense. Watch more Aldo fights if you believe this.

The big deterrent Conor does not possess is a legit threat of a takedown. This doesn't mean he can't stop Aldo's kicks by other means, but his stance and movement tends to invite leg kicks, so it's not hard to imagine they factor into this fight.

Indeed, also Aldo simple don`t just kick he always setup his kicks with a combo. I`m yet to see a fighter that was not on his back foot when Aldo was throwing his combo.

Inside leg kicks hurt way more than kicks to the outside of your leg. It's not like being a Southpaw protects your legs; it protects your left leg but leaves your right vulnerable.

Edit: I'll give you the outside leg kick is easier to land but that's offset by the difference in damage from each kick landed into the inside of the leg.

Last edited:

Thanks.

> talks about career, is wrong

About? I'm counting wins and wins only. Losses 4 & 6 years ago = not relevant today, as another SD member had to remind you of.

> makes excuses

Where? Counting wins and not his two losses = making excuses? K...

> decides to only count the fights that don't prove you were wrong

Again, if it upsets you so badly then we'll count his two losses. That still means he finished every man but 3 in his career. It doesn't change my point (that he's a very dangerous fighter with huge power).

> talks about Sivers panic mode takedowns like they mean anything

They don't mean anything because they weren't scored as takedowns, for the reason I explained. So I agree, they don't mean anything. Look to the Brandao fight where he also got stuffed. Conor has improved his TDD and sub defense enormously since his last loss back then.

> calls me whitebelt

That's because you are a white belt, are you not? You don't even have 100 posts here yet, already have fuckin dubs and you think you run the show. You won't be here long at this rate.

> unable to articulate why that matters

Articulate on what? Quit making shit up out of desperation.

> lets an irrelevant video speak for you

You asked me where the "stand down shtick" came from and I gave you the source of where it came from, the scene in the movie. Are you remedial? That's rhetorical so don't answer because I already know the answer.

Good talk, kid. Can't wait for your next essay on hand wraps and gameplans.

I'm in my early 30's, that isn't a kid you nub. I'm glad you enjoy my essays though. Enjoy the dubs and inability to edit your sig, search the forum and make your own threads.

Back