Aldo v Yan HISTORY WILL BE MADE!

Okay?

On paper its still a great fight and the pandemic along with Cejudo retiring set this all in motion. Do you think Cruz deserved the title shot when he got it? I don't. But the circumstances led to that. Just be happy we're getting three title fights on one card and we're getting so many cards in quick succession.

Well no of course Cruz didn't deserve it. Point I was making we've never had both fighters not deserve it. Cruz is more ridicolous than Yan. Cruz was a humpty dumpty case, Aldo jumped a guy who beat him and almost finished the retired champ.

Critiquing IMO bad matchmaking doesn't mean you don't appreciate the fact there's fights. I've been on the side justifying lots of undeserved title shots. Hendo cause making the champ a meme matters, Sonnen against Jones cause people who'll never admit it wanted that fight etc. Here though neither deserves it. Aldo is getting it off legacy at 145, Yan is getting it off beating Faber it's not 2012 anymore. Yan is ranked third and Aldo is ranked sixth.

Sterling and Sandhagan should have been the title fight. And Moraes is the number one contender who almost beat the previous champ and beat Aldo who somehow gets a title shot ahead of him. Split/close decisions are debatable and all but UFC doesn't typically reward the loser of non robberies.

I typically don't get mad about title shots(not recently anyway). I just think this one is unprecedented. But this is a stacked division and the champ is going to be someone who probably isn't one of the top 2 likely not one of the top 3 or 4 best fighters. They are actually going further to boost Aldo to a title shot than they did for Conor(who didn't jump over someone who beat him) that's how bizzare this is.

Anyhow people talk about UFC rigging their rankings? Well why even rig them if you're going to not listen to your own rigged rankings? Aldos not in the top 5, Yans not in the top 2. Moraes and Sterling are the best 2 135'ers in the promotion.

Who cares, Yan beats anyone at 135

I disagree but hey it's arguable. Right now he's getting a shot off beating Faber the gatekeeper of 5 years ago. Aldo getting the shot is worse. I'm used to not agreeing with 1 title combatant sometimes, everyone is, but can you think of a time when arguably neither guy deserved it(guess some will go with Bisping/Hendo but Bisping KO'd Rockhold he was the champ)?

how the fuck is Sandhagan clearly above Yan to you? lol. Yan has a better overall record and better UFC record. Neither guy is super established but Yan is pretty clearly ahead.

I think Aljo deserved a shot too but any combo of Aljo/Yan/Moraes would have been perfect. Aldo just got in there because he arguably beat Moraes and has more name/legend value than all three of those guys combined. That's how the UFC has worked for decades, it isn't "history being made" lol.

All of Fabers shots were deserved other than that last one against Cruz.

Not as clear as Sterling and Moraes. Yan over Sandhagan wouldn't complain in isolation, he's ranked higher and given Sandhagan lost I agree with that I guess. I do think Sanhagan's better though.

Fabers shots were deserved except the last one, agree. His last deserved title shot then was 6 years ago, if Cruz is a relic of the past, Faber is more of one. Yeah he won a fight against someone he shouldn't have beaten. Fabers 1000% in title elims(before this one I gues), 0% in title fights. Unlike the other guys with endless lives like Gus and Joe B, Fabers the only one who never came close to winning a belt.

Never seen the UFC advance the loser of a close decision unless they thought it was a robbery. Might advance a third party instead but not the loser. Don't think they've denied the winner of a decision a title shot given it to the loser. Rua v Machida was a rematch. If there is an example I imagine it being an injury replacement where the winner couldn't go. UFC has always respected the results of the scorecards. I don't think they'd even do that for Conor. It's legit never happened before unless I'm forgetting something, I don't think I am.

Who gives a f*ck. Legit title fights have been a rarity for awhile now. We all should be used to it. B*tching about it sure isn’t gonna change anything. Just accept it and enjoy the fights or don’t. Idgaf either way.

<Fedor23>

You're exaggerating. Title shots aren't always perfect but there's usually a reason behind them. Injury replacement/win over champ, UFC 151 situation. Title fights being legit and not the alphabet soup of boxing is one of the best parts of the sport. It's not perfect but it's usually close.

People have been bitching about things on here for 15+years here, we just find different things bother us.

Bisping vs GSP.

Bisping was the champ. They were never going to strip a champ who was willing to defend. Can disagree with the Hendo thing but Hendo got the shot and Bisping beat him. Flukes count, if we only acknowledge when the favorites win what's even the point of sports?

That would be number 2 IMO though. GSP got the shot off no fights at 185 not a fight and a close loss(though the Hendricks fights years earlier at 170 is close to that). Both would be understandable if there was a lack of qualfiied challengers but in both quite a few elite fighters got passed over. Some crazy Mousasi fan was screaming to me recently about how that shot was Mousasi's and Mousasi was like the fifth most deserving guy. Jeez what a mess thankful I was taking a break from the sport at the time.

Last edited:
How do you put Cory ahead of Yan?

I put Munoz actually. I get Munoz is number 7(I disagree) but he beat Cody only loss to Sterling whose likely the best fighter in the division. Feel Cody and Sterling winning should help Munoz makes his competition look better.

Sorry for putting lots of posts in a row was responding to responses.

Okay?

On paper its still a great fight and the pandemic along with Cejudo retiring set this all in motion. Do you think Cruz deserved the title shot when he got it? I don't. But the circumstances led to that. Just be happy we're getting three title fights on one card and we're getting so many cards in quick succession.

Agreed about Cruz. He didn't deserve a shot at all. Before Cejudo his last fight was a loss to Garbrandt in 2016. Mind you a one sided loss where he got completely outclassed. Yet comes back after nearly 4 years and gets a title shot? Ridiculous

Bisping vs GSP.
Bisping was one by default, although we all know it was a Cinderella story that got him there.

It was really weird when Serra beat GSP and he was number one for like a year until the rematch. Don’t even know if Matt was in the top ten at the time. If he was, it was just barely.

Bisping was one by default, although we all know it was a Cinderella story that got him there.

It was really weird when Serra beat GSP and he was number one for like a year until the rematch. Don’t even know if Matt was in the top ten at the time. If he was, it was just barely.

In the earlier years of MMA seems having a win over a champ or a long reign could get you a title shot you didn't deserve. Hendo obviously cut the line of more deserving people but I see where they were coming from. If Bisping was viewed as the actual best MW, a guy who'd beaten him brutally sounds much more rational. Idea is the man who beat the man should get another chance to beat the man. But if the champ isn't seen as the best that idea seems dumb.

And checked Serra was number 25(fightmatrix) when he was about to fight for the title. That's everyone not just the UFC but still. Next quarterly ranking he's number 1 lmfao. Lutter got a title shot at AS too but he missed weight and it didn't count. But after Serra beat GSP people can't mock reality show title shots anymore.

Back