• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Aldo could have been the undisputed GOAT...

Ahmed Masood

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
had champ champ been a thing back in the day. Obviously, he was the FW champ and had 7 defences before the McGregor fight. The biggest reason why we never saw him fight at 135 was because it was thought he couldn't make the weight and his performances would diminish (which has obviously now been diminished).

Had he fought at 135 anywhere between 2011 and 2013, IMO, he would have been the BW champ. We all know how a Faber fight would have gone at any weight class, and Aldos style back then especially would have been a nightmare for Dominick Cruz. He would have crushed the likes of Michael McDonald and Eddie Wineland, and Barao would have probably never got a hold of the belt given how they're both part of Nova Uniao. TJ would have been a tough fight but given that he didn't fight for the belt till 2014, Aldo could have cemented his legacy further....

By claiming the 155 belt in 2013. Old school fans know that at one point, Aldo was in discussions to fight Pettis for the strap. IMO, 2013 Aldo would have beaten Pettis handidly, similarly to how he fought TKZ. Even if Aldo had decided to move up earlier, say in 2011, the champ back then was Frankie Edgar and we know how that fight goes. Benson Henderson would have admittedly been a competitive fight, but its not outside the realm of possibility that Aldo could have beaten him on points. Still, Pettis and Edgar were way more winnable and in regards to title defences, 2013 aldo probably would have wrecked gil melendez

To conclude, Aldo matched up favourably against Cruz, Faber, Edgar and Pettis so theoretically, between 2011 and 2013, had DW sanctioned champion vs champion bouts more frequently, Aldo could have been a legitimate 3 division champ in arguably the three most competitive divisions in MMA. If Aldo had been the 135lb champ, 145lb champ and 155 lb champ simultaneously, or even just held all three belts during that 2011-2013 period, would he have been the undisputed GOAT?

What do you think sherbros?

aldo is already one of the goat he is legacy is not over he can still win the title if yan is to lose the title

I always thought he should have moved to 155. Being less drained and having that speed advantage over everyone plus being the perfect anti-wrestler in a wrestling-heavy division would have more than made up for the size difference, and maybe prolonged his prime a bit

No way Aldo was making 135 back in the day. He was a huge 145. It wasn't until after USADA came in and shedded pure muscle could be make 135.

He was a guy that needed an IV back in the day.

He's already a generational talent having success from WEC and onward. It is hard to dispute he isn't the best FW of all time, currently. He definitely was the best of his era.

Would have been more likely to have taken Pettis LW belt, than drop to BW. He used to be a huuge 145er. Sad that fight never happened.

I blame Big John for wrecking his legacy..

DrDyHI2.gif

Aldo was about to bridge up when Big John comes out of nowhere to make sure that doesn't happen..

Conor should be sending BJM monthly checks..

I always thought he should have moved to 155. Being less drained and having that speed advantage over everyone plus being the perfect anti-wrestler in a wrestling-heavy division would have more than made up for the size difference, and maybe prolonged his prime a bit

He tried. He offered to fight Pettis. But Dana wouldn't let him. He said he had to drop the belt to go up so he wouldn't hold up two divisions which is more antiquated bullshit from Dana.

In all honesty, when Aldo beat Edgar, Frankie had a legitimate claim to still being the 155 champ. That first fight of their's was a super fight to me. And Aldo soundly won it.

I blame Big John for wrecking his legacy..

DrDyHI2.gif

Aldo was about to bridge up when Big John comes out of nowhere to make sure that doesn't happen..

Conor should be sending BJM monthly checks..

BJM is an all time fuck head and idiot. That was before he became possibly the worst commentator of all time.

People seem to forget that Aldo really, really struggled to make 145 back in the day. It was a huge weight cut for him. There was some talk of him moving up to 155, but it was never even considered that he would move down to 135 at any point during his reign on top of the FW division. He completely changed his diet and lifestyle in the last couple years which has allowed him to make the cut to 135, but that wasn't really an option for him back in the day.

Fucker is still only 34 -- who knows.

He's an all time GOAT and that was back in 2014. WEC/UFC streak is crazy good.

UFC was garbage in handling his Connor loss... 8 years with what, 7 defenses and he gets it right back w/Edgar?

Meanwhile Connor never defended a damn thing? Stupid.

Fucker is still only 34 -- who knows.

He's an all time GOAT and that was back in 2014. WEC/UFC streak is crazy good.

UFC was garbage in handling his Connor loss... 8 years with what, 7 defenses and he gets it right back w/Edgar?

Meanwhile Connor never defended a damn thing? Stupid.
"only" 34 years old with 37 pro mma fights under your belt. a lil cherry on top is competing enough in bjj to win 2 world championship medals(though just blue and purple)

Much better legacy than roiders like Anderson and Jones.

"only" 34 years old with 37 pro mma fights under your belt. a lil cherry on top is competing enough in bjj to win 2 world championship medals(though just blue and purple)
I make 38 at the end of the month with honorary status of the liver being 70+. I just hate how he is shit on by people that likely didn't watch those years. I also hate that streak ended with 13 seconds and him fighting on, and Connor not doing shit to defend or be a champ worth a shit, but somehow vastly superior in accomplishments.

Back