Would Aldo have beaten Pettis to win the lightweight title?

blaseblase

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
They both wanted this fight at the time but Dana demanded that Aldo vacate his belt first so the fight never happened. Then Conor entered the picture and suddenly champ champ fights were allowed.

His dominant wins over Edgar suggests he probably could have gotten that belt at any time in his prime.

Aldo is one of the few fighters I think had the skills to be a 3 division champion in his prime. He was denied the opportunity to be a champ champ by Dana and then he ended up dropping to bantamweight as an older fighter and still performed well against the new generation of fighters.

Rounds 1-3 would easily be Aldo's rounds. His jab, speed, power defence and grappling would all be things I think Pettis would struggle with but he was a high paced fighter and in his prime had the confidence to attack no matter what and could find a finish at any time which would make Aldo work hard.
RDA changed Pettis forever by putting doubt in his wild style but I don't think Aldo presented that same pressure to break him so Pettis is probably willing to attack at all angles at all times to his benefit here. His prime style was so effective because he had no reads and would attack the perfect counter whenever he saw openings. He only fell off after RDA because he started over feinting and overthinking taking himself out of fights. At least that's how I see it but Pettis in his prime was a beast that is super underrated now days.

I think Aldo starts strong similar to his fight with Hominick and Lamas but I think he flags hard here in the 4th. He'd have no where to take breaks. Guys like Bendo and Melendez both got subbed trying to fight safe so Aldo shooting a lazy double could get him finished.

I'd take Aldo by decision but this feels like a fight where Aldo dominates early and Pettis dominates late being decided by what round Aldo gasses.

I think so. Aldo would not lose unless it’s top competition. We could have said the same about Pettis until he went to WSOF and lost there too

They both wanted this fight at the time but Dana demanded that Aldo vacate his belt first so the fight never happened. Then Conor entered the picture and suddenly champ champ fights were allowed.

His dominant wins over Edgar suggests he probably could have gotten that belt at any time in his prime.

Aldo is one of the few fighters I think had the skills to be a 3 division champion in his prime. He was denied the opportunity to be a champ champ by Dana and then he ended up dropping to bantamweight as an older fighter and still performed well against the new generation of fighters.
No I dont think so.

If aldo didn't pull out of over half his fights and the promotion could plan around his title fights they'd have let him

Lol cmon, stop hating. Jones sat out for 2 years, publicly feuded with Dana on Twitter and got an immediate title shot at heavyweight. Remember Conor refusing to do press for UFC 200? He still got his champ champ fight after that.

Lol cmon, stop hating. Jones sat out for 2 years, publicly feuded with Dana on Twitter and got an immediate title shot at heavyweight. Remember Conor refusing to do press for UFC 200? He still got his champ champ fight after that.
That's not hating. Aldo has a very poor attendance record as a champ and that's a fact. Aldo had the Fw title for 4 years and only defended 6 times. As a promoter no, I would never let aldo touch two belts. Conor has never once signed a date for a fight and not fought on that date. not once. Conor and jones to a certain extent, are much more reliable in terms of fighting multiple times a year.

Last edited:
That's not hating. Aldo has a very poor attendance record as a champ and that's a fact. Aldo had the Fw title for 4 years and only defended 6 times. As a promoter no, I would never let aldo touch two belts. Conor has never once signed a date for a fight and not fought on that date. not once. Conor and jones to a certain extent, are much more reliable in terms of fighting multiple times a year.

That’s true, but Conor had even a worse attendance record as champ. Win belts then never defended them, not even once.

That’s true, but Conor had even a worse attendance record as champ. Win belts then never defended them, not even once.
That's true, but a completely different arguement.

at the time conor was holding 2 titles and him being given that opportunity he was active. as far as not defended, The floyd fight is an anomoly that changed things. the ufc obviously promoted it too.

He'd have been a threat anywhere from Edgar through Pettis.

No. As much a chance as GSP had v Anderson. That version of Pettis was better thsn folks remember

Again, I just pointed out that Jones sat out for 2 years. No he was not reliable, they literally had to cancel a ppv because of him. He was stripped of his title twice. Conor rarely fights and has never defended a title period. You are hating.

Not to mention you made up this 6 times in 4 years number or got your math wrong.

at the time conor was holding 2 titles and him being given that opportunity he was active.

Oh, you mean the opportunity he got that Aldo didn't? He's literally never defended a title. Every other double champ has.

The floyd fight is an anomoly that changed things. the ufc obviously promoted it too.

He sat out for a year before the Floyd fight happened.

Back