• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Aldo and McGregor's striking. How do they match up?

Captain_Dammitt

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Everyone knows that this is going to be a big fight but McGregor is so polarizing I find it hard to come across an unbiased analysis of their respective skills and how they match up with each other. So I come here to get some opinions from the more educated. So, enlighten me, if you'll be so kind.

I personally see Aldo being better on his feet than Conor but I still have a more or less inexperienced eye.

Yes i have.

Next insinuation you'll grasp at to discredit my opinion of conors mediocre skillset..

Why do you think he has mediocre skillset?

This fight is as close as it gets in FW division, I can't say for sure that either Conor or Aldo are going to win decisively.

Aldo has better headmovement and footwork or at least has better lateral movement. He probably also has a better jab and he is faster both with hands and feet.
He also has great lowkicks allthough Mcgregor is a southpaw and against Florian Aldo threw less lowkicks than vs orthdoox fighters.

McGregor has a iron chin, better cardio, is one of the calmest fighters while getting hit, has relentless pressure and has great punch selection, accuracy and distance management.
He has the better rear straight.

Tough fight to call I think the longer the fight goes the better for Mcgrgeor and since McGregor has great stamina and an unbreakable chin it could be a tough night for Aldo

I do expect Aldo to outscore McGregor early on it just depends on whether he can keep it up long enough to win 3 rounds and survive when Mcgregor gets stronger

My perception of McGregor is that his 'feared striking' is like a lot of guys in mma who are said to have 'feared striking'; namely, that the fear itself is the biggest advantage, and how that then influences opponents game planning wrt the coherent whole of mixed martial arts.

Near as I can tell, conor does two things well, distance and timing, which I would say has in fact been making up for a lack of head movement and angling. That hasent gotten him in trouble so far though since distance management is very fundamental to striking success. His game is basically to walk guys down, then jump back just before he gets too close to try and bait his opponent to commit to something, upon which he will then leap forward again with an attack.

Most every guy he's fought so far has managed to get at least a few good solid hits, which so far he's toughed out with his chin. Aldo however has something of a reputation for hitting a lot harder than the norm, especially with leg kicks, so that could possibly cross the thin line between an impressive showing and looking like a foolish amateur who let himself get caught.

His wide upright stance is good for darting back and forth but it makes it harder to sprawl, and gsp spent a decade showing that the counter double is one of the finest techniques for neutralizing an opponents straits (he would have totally beaten Anderson in a catch weight super fight /derail). I don't think the question is if Aldo will get a takedown, rather, the question is if he can *keep* McGregor down, and if he does, does he have the skills to do damage while there. Aldo I think is kinda like vitor Belfort in that its common to talk up how they are bjj blackbelts and datdada, but when they actually fight you don't see it, doing their business mostly by brawling.

Mendes certainly showed conor has vulnerabilities in this area, and a full cardio mendes could very well have been his first loss by grinding it out for 3 rounds. Even while gassed he easily passed guard when he wanted too. His biggest mistake was letting conor have a bit of space to escape to try and catch the guillotine in transition when he obviously didn't have the juice too finish it. If things were really that bad he could have just leaned his shoulder onto conors neck with the cross face for the rest of the round and occasionally drop some knees and elbows to the torso to keep the ref off his back, let mcg burn his own energy instead. But then again this is mendes we are talking about and for all his virtues Aldo probably isn't quite at that level on the ground.

The x factor would be if conors antics have gotten to Aldo's head, which could influence his game planning or act foolishly by getting mad.

Above all I think aldo's best shot is indeed to try and take McGregor down and grapplefuck him. I think conor senses this too, consciously or unconsciously, which would explain all his rhetoric about 'panic-wrestlers' and 'fighting like a man'.

there is some truth to this, conor timing/dist creates alot of probs for opp def/off and in regards to counters; esp when you factor in his size..length...

i don't think he is a mediocre striker or mediocre fighters, i think its easy to get turned off by the act; an i think its easy to overlook the man's skills or methodology, i personally think conor wins. But i see why and how aldo wins..

aldo is amazing, brilliant fighter; but i think because conor has looked vulnerable and that people can't tolerate his schtick..and let it bias them to the very real skills he has..the very subtle..layered game he has. Is he as good or better than aldo, we find out sat; but conor is easy to sleep on..easy to downplay and ignore

Good analysis. Thanks for the input. My knock on Conor is how low he keeps his hand and how high his chin is. Aldo throws several punches when he counters where most seem to only hit Conor once.

Dude, if you only knew how much your underselling Aldo's grappling, which is world class. It's shocking actually, how he's been able to get by without really showing it. That said, the times he has taken people down usually ends up with Aldo passing their guards like they were blue belts.
Aldo's guard passing is beautiful. But he hasn't shown great GnP and neither does he hunt the sub. To some extent it must be due to only doing jiu jitsu as plan B when he's tired or hurt, though, it would be interesting to see what he could do if he came in with grappling as his game plan.

Aldo has better headmovement and footwork or at least has better lateral movement. He probably also has a better jab and he is faster both with hands and feet.
He also has great lowkicks allthough Mcgregor is a southpaw and against Florian Aldo threw less lowkicks than vs orthdoox fighters.

McGregor has a iron chin, better cardio, is one of the calmest fighters while getting hit, has relentless pressure and has great punch selection, accuracy and distance management.

Tough fight to call I think the longer the fight goes the better for Mcgrgeor and since McGregor has great stamina and an unbreakable chin it could be a tough night for Aldo

I do expect Aldo to outscore McGregor early on it just depends on whether he can keep it up long enough to win 3 rounds and survive when Mcgregor gets stronger

I agree with everything you said except for the prediction part.

Aldo will be a little more fired up than usual but will manage to keep his composure. Conor struggles to land a clean strike on Aldo and gets frustrated. After eating a few inside leg kicks, Conor gets a little reckless and starts looking for a big shot. Aldo lands a hard counter on Conor's chin as Conor approches him with his hands down. Conor is rocked but not out. Aldo fakes a punch, shoots a double, takes Conor down and unleashes some ground and pound. The ref steps in. Aldo wins by TKO in round 3.

Can we put to rest the myth that Aldo has bad cardio? The only times Aldo has gassed was against Mark Hominick and Frankie Edgar. He was sick for a week before the Hominich fight because of an infection and nobody can match Edgar's endurance anyway. Aldo went all 5 rounds against Chad Mendes at a high pace so I'm sure he'll be fine against McGregor.

Conor and Edgar are similar in that they apply relentless pressure although Conors output isn't as high as Frankies which is insane. We haven't seen Conor go 5 rounds but you don't fight with relentless pressure if you are worried about your gas tank. Aldo doesn't have bad cardio but he does notably slow down after the first two rounds. His cardio isn't bad but I believe Conors is better. Just the way they fight respectively shows that. Aldo is much more measured than Conor.

I agree with everything you said except for the prediction part.

Aldo will be a little more fired up than usual but will manage to keep his composure. Conor struggles to land a clean strike on Aldo and gets frustrated. After eating a few inside leg kicks, Conor gets a little reckless and starts looking for a big shot. Aldo lands a hard counter on Conor's chin as Conor approches him with his hands down. Conor is rocked but not out. Aldo fakes a punch, shoot a double, take Conor down and unleashes some ground and pound. The ref steps in. Aldo wins by TKO in round 3.

After the Mendes fight I can't see anyone finishing Mcgregor at this point. Aldo doesn't have the G&p to do it and if you wanna stop him anywhere you need to land a shitload of really hard punches if Mendes couldnt seriously hurt Mcgregor with clean punches then no one can with single punches.

Mendes shoock Mcgregor up at least once but usually Mendes puts people out cold with shots like those only Aldo and Mcgrgeor survived punches like that.

And Aldo might be damaged from the Mendes fight and he's had a long career anyway he isn't young anymore in figthing years.

I have no idea who win Mcgregor has the age and the momentum and it's like he's supposed to win but Aldo is really great and has always been underappreciated with people giving him shit for not fighting as reckless and wild as in his WEC days to at one point Barao being higher p4p and now Aldo being treated like he's the opponent despite him being the only UFC FW champ up to this point and kinda a young legend in the sport

Conor has a mediocre skillset and i honestly cant understand the hype for it. Understanding the hype for him i do understand. Hes not boring. Thats enough for me.

After the Mendes fight I can't see anyone finishing Mcgregor at this point. Aldo doesn't have the G&p to do it and if you wanna stop him anywhere you need to land a shitload of really hard punches if Mendes couldnt seriously hurt Mcgregor with clean punches then no one can with single punches.

Mendes shoock Mcgregor up at least once but usually Mendes puts people out cold with shots like those only Aldo and Mcgrgeor survived punches like that.

And Aldo might be damaged from the Mendes fight and he's had a long career anyway he isn't young anymore in figthing years.

I have no idea who win Mcgregor has the age and the momentum and it's like he's supposed to win but Aldo is really great and has always been underappreciated with people giving him shit for not fighting as reckless and wild as in his WEC days to at one point Barao being higher p4p and now Aldo being treated like he's the opponent despite him being the only UFC FW champ up to this point and kinda a young legend in the sport

Frankie just finished Mendes in the first round, got anything to change ?

Good analysis. Thanks for the input. My knock on Conor is how low he keeps his hand and how high his chin is. Aldo throws several punches when he counters where most seem to only hit Conor once.

His chin raises sometimes a bit when he lunges which he sometimes does but i dont think its high in general, people with high chins don't take punches nearly as well as he does whatever position he has his chin in seems right or he wouldn't eat clean punches from mendes and stay conscious

Aldo has gassed a few times or at least slowed down and he sometimes fights in a way that conserves energy.

He was more energic than Edgar in the 4th and 5th rounds of their fight. Edgar is known (you're supposed to know that...) as a cardio machine. How come Aldo was better than him in the later rounds...? maybe it's true that he was sick before the Hominick fight.

Why do you think Conor has better cardio than Aldo? I mean sure Aldo isn't a cardio machine but Conor hasn't gone past the 3 rounds, and even then when he fought Holloway he was way more measured.

Frankie just finished Mendes in the first round, got anything to change ?

Not really it has nothing to do with Mendes' power allthough I wonder how good the version of Mendes that fought Mcgregor was.

Mendes' striking seems to be declining compared to the Aldo fight so apparently Ludwig did indeed have a heavy influence of the stirking of that team.

Right now they lack a quality striking coach as in an elite striking coach and they have no real mastermind head trainer I know of.

I also wonder if Mendes' chin is starting to break down or if Edgar just caught him with a perfect punch.
That said I'm not sure how damaged Mendes really was first I thought the stoppage was prmeature but Mendes didnt complain so i guess he was really gone.

This fight is all about distance. In short, McGregor's critical distance is slightly farther out than Aldo's. McGregor wants everything to start from long range. He wants space to throw his hipster kicks, and he wants to be able to step into his left hand when you're on the defensive. He also wants enough space that if you step forward, he has plenty of time to take an angle and counter you. Ideally, he wants his opponents moving away from him when he attacks, and forward when he's setting a trap. Aldo is famous for his low kicks, but his hands are what have been winning many of his recent fights. He's one of the best boxers in MMA. He's dangerous with both hands, and is ideally throwing his punches from just barely within the pocket. Occasionally he'll step a bit deeper into the pocket to knee, or step all the way inside to take the other guy down, but his real critical distance is just at the edge of and inside the pocket.

It's important to note that both guys are very skilled at distance and in the pocket, so there's some overlap between each of their usual critical distances. However, Aldo is most likely to win the fight if he can force exchanges to take place just a step closer than McGregor wants them to. His best chance of doing that is to step forward when McGregor does. If Aldo backs up every time McGregor kicks, he's gonna get stuck too far away to work his hands. He should be able to counter some of McGregor's kicks at distance with his own, but ideally he'll step inside them to counter. If he can do that, he'll have to deal with McGregor's left hand. Again, he doesn't want to move away from it. Guys who run from McGregor get run over. He needs to step forward, move his head and make McGregor pay when he throws that left. If he can do that, and he can start stepping into the pocket to set up his own offense (preferably throwing outside low kicks and inside body kicks when McGregor backs off), then he should be able to force McGregor to respect him, slow down the pace of the fight to one that suits him, and take control.

However, McGregor wants to do everything he can to keep Aldo at range, and make sure that any time Aldo steps forward, it's into a counter. Not only that left straight, but I'm fully expecting McGregor to try a couple classic tkd jump spin kicks to the body as counters when Aldo comes forward looking to throw hands. The more McGregor can force Aldo to initiate his offense from too far away, the more he can wear Aldo down. The more he can back Aldo up, the more he can unload.

So in this fight, control of critical distance is key to control of pace, which will ultimately be the deciding factor IMO.

Not really it has nothing to do with Mendes' power allthough I wonder how good the version of Mendes that fought Mcgregor was.

Mendes' striking seems to be declining compared to the Aldo fight so apparently Ludwig did indeed have a heavy influence of the stirking of that team.

Right now they lack a quality striking coach as in an elite striking coach and they have no real mastermind head trainer I know of.

I also wonder if Mendes' chin is starting to break down or if Edgar just caught him with a perfect punch.
That said I'm not sure how damaged Mendes really was first I thought the stoppage was prmeature but Mendes didnt complain so i guess he was really gone.

I think it's a little bit of both; Mendes not having Ludwig, and for that matter the whole of TAM, Duane was able to put things together and Mendes defo didn't look nothing at like he did vs Aldo. He was a man on a mission on that fight.

Also Frankie seems to be improving his boxing, being less cautious with it too.

How do you know that Mcgregor got better cardio?

Tough fight to call I think the longer the fight goes the better for ____ and since ____ has great stamina and an unbreakable chin it could be a tough night for Aldo

This applies to pretty much every single fight Aldo has ever been in.

Aldo is a significantly better striker than McGregor. I figure it will be the first 3 rounds Aldo, last 2 McGregor. Pretty much only wild card for me is how CM handles the adrenaline dump, especially if he gets really roughed up the first 3 rounds. His personality might collapse and he gives up, or he might rise to the occasion like Jones did in the Gus fight, which was his first real adversity he faced.

How do you know that Mcgregor got better cardio?

Aldo has gassed a few times or at least slowed down and he sometimes fights in a way that conserves energy.

McGregor doesn't fight like someone who knows that he has cardio issues so if he has them he isn't aware of it himself and against Mendes he fought at a ridiculously high pace and granted it wasn't that long of a fight but he tired Mendes out and still looked really fresh.

And guys with an explosive style like Aldo has tend to fade easier 99% f the times whether it's genetics and fast twitch muscle fibers or whether it's the way they fight or a combination of both

how does aldo have better boxing than mcgregor? because he keeps his hands up and stands more square and looks more like tyson? mcgregor is the better boxer with better boxing credentials and background.

Really tough call on this one. Aldo has better defense, better kicks, and better grappling. He's a great tactician and is good at making adjustments during the fight.
On the other hand, McGoat is fucking relentless. He doesn't have the same tactical depth that Aldo has demonstrated, but his normal high output pressure fighting style is a rough match up for Aldo. He can take this to the later rounds and really pile on the points if Aldo figure him out early.
I'm really not sure how to call it. My head says Aldo but heart says Connor.

giphy.gif

Conor will take it in the later rounds as Aldo tires and slows down. Aldo can't finish Conor because he won't be able hurt him enough. Might be the first time we see Aldo stopped by strikes.

washed him. aldo fucked up big time. mcgregors feet werent even properly set and he still sparked him he was so open. conors footwork and timing are amazing.

aldo really fell for the mind games. came rushing in nervous and tense. shocking.

This fight is all about distance. In short, McGregor's critical distance is slightly farther out than Aldo's. McGregor wants everything to start from long range. He wants space to throw his hipster kicks, and he wants to be able to step into his left hand when you're on the defensive. He also wants enough space that if you step forward, he has plenty of time to take an angle and counter you. Ideally, he wants his opponents moving away from him when he attacks, and forward when he's setting a trap. Aldo is famous for his low kicks, but his hands are what have been winning many of his recent fights. He's one of the best boxers in MMA. He's dangerous with both hands, and is ideally throwing his punches from just barely within the pocket. Occasionally he'll step a bit deeper into the pocket to knee, or step all the way inside to take the other guy down, but his real critical distance is just at the edge of and inside the pocket.

It's important to note that both guys are very skilled at distance and in the pocket, so there's some overlap between each of their usual critical distances. However, Aldo is most likely to win the fight if he can force exchanges to take place just a step closer than McGregor wants them to. His best chance of doing that is to step forward when McGregor does. If Aldo backs up every time McGregor kicks, he's gonna get stuck too far away to work his hands. He should be able to counter some of McGregor's kicks at distance with his own, but ideally he'll step inside them to counter. If he can do that, he'll have to deal with McGregor's left hand. Again, he doesn't want to move away from it. Guys who run from McGregor get run over. He needs to step forward, move his head and make McGregor pay when he throws that left. If he can do that, and he can start stepping into the pocket to set up his own offense (preferably throwing outside low kicks and inside body kicks when McGregor backs off), then he should be able to force McGregor to respect him, slow down the pace of the fight to one that suits him, and take control.

However, McGregor wants to do everything he can to keep Aldo at range, and make sure that any time Aldo steps forward, it's into a counter. Not only that left straight, but I'm fully expecting McGregor to try a couple classic tkd jump spin kicks to the body as counters when Aldo comes forward looking to throw hands. The more McGregor can force Aldo to initiate his offense from too far away, the more he can wear Aldo down. The more he can back Aldo up, the more he can unload.

So in this fight, control of critical distance is key to control of pace, which will ultimately be the deciding factor IMO.

As usual, great analysis. One thing I'm concerned with is Aldo's lack of (talented) southpaw opponents. Kenny Florian is a far cry from Conor McGregor. That being said, McGregor likes to put weight on the front foot. Aldo's inside leg kicks will test Conor and if he has some luck there, switch kicks to the body could bring further damage.

I really like the idea of Aldo crowding McGregor, as you have outlined. A right lead uppercut and left hand are the only weapons Conor really has in the pocket. The spinning kicks and snap kicks rely on that distance you spoke of. Aldo's angles will be a significant factor as well. If Mendes had the ability(and energy) to circle off the cage and avoid the long, straight kicks/punches by getting off a straight line, Conor could have been in serious trouble. I'll go out on a limb and say Aldo successfully crowds early on and wins some exchanges, then switches things up and lands a TD. Aldo by sub, round 3.

I don't believe in lucky punches. But this was unsatisfying and I think everyone will agree that this wasn't the full extent of Aldo's ability.

As usual, great analysis. One thing I'm concerned with is Aldo's lack of (talented) southpaw opponents. Kenny Florian is a far cry from Conor McGregor. That being said, McGregor likes to put weight on the front foot. Aldo's inside leg kicks will test Conor and if he has some luck there, switch kicks to the body could bring further damage.

I really like the idea of Aldo crowding McGregor, as you have outlined. A right lead uppercut and left hand are the only weapons Conor really has in the pocket. The spinning kicks and snap kicks rely on that distance you spoke of. Aldo's angles will be a significant factor as well. If Mendes had the ability(and energy) to circle off the cage and avoid the long, straight kicks/punches by getting off a straight line, Conor could have been in serious trouble. I'll go out on a limb and say Aldo successfully crowds early on and wins some exchanges, then switches things up and lands a TD. Aldo by sub, round 3.

Yea I think one of the big differences with Aldo's angles is that he knows how to step around while coming in. He did this to Florian. Too many guys try to circle away at distance from McGregor's left straight, at which point he either pivots inside to square them up and hits them with it anyway, or he runs them into a wheel kick. Aldo can come in behind his jab while stepping that way, which will make it tough for McGregor to walk him down. He can also angle effectively in both directions, and knows how to move in and out to bait and draw. His movement will be a significant challenge for McGregor to track, especially if Aldo is able to keep threatening his base.

Aldo's advantage on the ground should technically be significant, but I'm actually thinking McGregor's size and strength will make it tough for Aldo to finish him there.

Wow. That's exactly how many thought it was going to go, but I doubt many people thought it was going to happen that quickly.

Conor will take it in the later rounds as Aldo tires and slows down. Aldo can't finish Conor because he won't be able hurt him enough. Might be the first time we see Aldo stopped by strikes.

Can we put to rest the myth that Aldo has bad cardio? The only times Aldo has gassed was against Mark Hominick and Frankie Edgar. He was sick for a week before the Hominich fight because of an infection and nobody can match Edgar's endurance anyway. Aldo went all 5 rounds against Chad Mendes at a high pace so I'm sure he'll be fine against McGregor.

Aldo spars with Andy Souwer, a way better southpaw striker than McGregor.

well damn, aldo loaded up for a leaping hook, conor timed him beautifully with a cross. id love to see a rematch, but id also like to see frankie get his shot.

Conor has a mediocre skillset and i honestly cant understand the hype for it. Understanding the hype for him i do understand. Hes not boring. Thats enough for me.

you have never laced up a glove in your life, have you?

Wow. That's exactly how many thought it was going to go, but I doubt many people thought it was going to happen that quickly.

Yup. I made a big deal about talking how versatile McGregor's left was, and how hittable Aldo is, but I didn't think that would happen.

A GUY WHERE YOU AT BRAH

Souwer is southpaw?

Agree that Hominick and Edgar would tire anybody our over 5 rounds. Both those guys are here gh activity.

Yup. I made a big deal about talking how versatile McGregor's left was, and how hittable Aldo is, but I didn't think that would happen.

Just the perfect confluence. Hit while being attacked, Aldo leaping in over his feat, and boom. I thought this was going to be a match that hinged on whether or not Aldo had lost anything from age, wear and injury, and if so, that it would show as Connor did his early damage.

Didn't think the damage would be THAT early.

I think McGregor is gonna land that left hand too many times and either get the finish or take a decision. I can see both guys having striking success but I think McGregor is more durable than Aldo at this point in their careers. Every fighter reaches that breaking point where they can't take punishment like before and I think Aldo may be closing in on that. He has been fighting the highest ranked featherweights for basically six years at this point. He seems to get injured fairly frequently in fights and training.

I realize this isn't much of a striking breakdown, but I really think the damage Aldo has accumulated may be an x-factor in this fight.

Have you guys ever seen shit like that at this level? Aldo hasn't lost in 10 years and got put to sleep with one punch. That's a first for me, how embarrassing.

Wasn't aware of that, but 'styles make fights' is the saying and for good reason. Souwer is a great dutch kickboxer, but McG has a difficult style to emulate. Aldo couldn't have gotten to be the striker he is today without training with the elite. I'm just saying he has an uncommon puzzle to solve on the 12th. Nothing more, nothing less. The fact that McGregor fights southpaw only adds to that.

Just the perfect confluence. Hit while being attacked, Aldo leaping in over his feat, and boom. I thought this was going to be a match that hinged on whether or not Aldo had lost anything from age, wear and injury, and if so, that it would show as Connor did his early damage.

Didn't think the damage would be THAT early.

I don't think it was age, wear and injury. I think it was mental. Aldo never charges like that. I think he really wanted to bring the fight to Conor. That wasn't a great idea.

Have you guys ever seen shit like that at this level? Aldo hasn't lost in 10 years and got put to sleep with one punch. That's a first for me, how embarrassing.

Yeah, like when fucking Chris was winning round 3 and decided to throw some spinning shit. He is banned with training from Wonderboy from here on out.

Back