• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Aldo and McGregor's striking. How do they match up?

Weidman won round 1 and was winning round 3 easy. That dumb fucking kick man, I don't even know...

I think round 1 could have gone either way. Round 2 was definitely Rockhold and round 3 was Weidman's before whatever that was...

It was a freak occurrence from Weidman but I think next time Rockhold will be better prepared - I think his gas tank went after round 2 and he was running on fumes. Pressure of the situation I think got to him plus too many kicks - needs more economical use of kicking behind his hands - plus should make use of that jab & reach whenever he did Weidman ate them.

If he has a better wiser gameplan, fights more economically - next time I can see him dismantling Weidman. I think he has the tools for it.

He gave Weidman problems - the only problems that Rockhold had in that fight I feel was his stamina but I think next time that might not be an issue - as he had notable health issues coming into this.

If that fight had gone on though - I feel Rockhold would probably have lost not because it wasn't a competitive fight but because his stamina faded considerably after round 2 - I don't think he would have lasted 5 rounds.

did not see that one coming at all. i could see either fighter winning. but not that fast.

kinda sad we did not get a longer fight.

Same here and it's depressing. I was hoping this fight would tell us a lot about McGregor. Aldo is the most competent striker he has faced (by a lot) and it was possible we got to see Aldo work his takedowns and ground game. Instead we got an embarrassing loss for Aldo. It was a great card on paper that didn't pan out that way for serious fans.

your all kiding right about frankie taking conor im not a conor fan but frankie beat mendes with the same combo that aldo used and lost to conor in one punch you think conor is falling for feints

I am wondering if it would've been better for Aldo to commit to that right punch? Conor was expecting that punch (I don't think he immediately realized it was fake) and pulled slighlty backwards (so the punch would not really hurt him anyways) and started countering with his left (kind of like an overhand). However, if Aldo's right arm was fully extended, maybe he would have been able to deflect Conor's punch with his elbow?

And if he really wanted to fake the right, he should have pulled his hand back to his chin and that probably would have saved him from Conor's punch too. Unfortunately, he pulled it away from his face, possibly to help him create even more momentum for the left hook.

I find it really annoying when MMA fighters are not doing enough to protect their chins, especially when they are throwing punches and entering someone's range.

I am wondering if it would've been better for Aldo to commit to that right punch? Conor was expecting that punch (I don't think he immediately realized it was fake) and pulled slighlty backwards (so the punch would not really hurt him anyways) and started countering with his left (kind of like an overhand). However, if Aldo's right arm was fully extended, maybe he would have been able to deflect Conor's punch with his elbow?

And if he really wanted to fake the right, he should have pulled his hand back to his chin and that probably would have saved him from Conor's punch too. Unfortunately, he pulled it away from his face, possibly to help him create even more momentum for the left hook.

I find it really annoying when MMA fighters are not doing enough to protect their chins, especially when they are throwing punches and entering someone's range.

It would've been better if he was defensively responsible and not off balance. He rushed in with his face first, with his head way over his lead leg almost to the point he was standing on one leg when he got hit. And a part of feinting is to see how your opponent reacts to it, which Aldo didn't do. If he was balanced at least, he wouldn't have been as hurt by the punch and the left hand he landed would have done more damage on Mcgregor.

It would've been better if he was defensively responsible and not off balance. He rushed in with his face first, with his head way over his lead leg almost to the point he was standing on one leg when he got hit. And a part of feinting is to see how your opponent reacts to it, which Aldo didn't do. If he was balanced at least, he wouldn't have been as hurt by the punch and the left hand he landed would have done more damage on Mcgregor.

He most likely commits that far over because it adds more torque to the leg kick that comes after the left.

I'm just guessin though.

Freak accident. Aldo underestimated Canner, fought recklessly for the first time and got caught. Aldo wins 9/10 times. McGregor is now moving up to 155 to avoid the rematch.

You should meander back to the heavies.

You should meander back to the heavies.

The mere fact you're a McGregor fanboy proves I know 10 times more about striking than you. I'm pretty sure you have no idea what actually happened and are just thinking McGregor used some kind of psychic power to knock Aldo out.

Back