• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Aldo’s decline

He's slowly fading , due to damage and injuries he took from fighting for so long...

ALDO's from at least two generations ago.

His career began before Gray Maynard, Jim Miller, Matt Brown, etc ... he's from the Clay Guida, Nate Diaz era. The dude has been fighting forever and the game has left him behind a little, like it has for all guys of that vintage. Even size-wise 145 has changed, he used to be a big 145er then the likes of Conor, Max and co came along and made him look small in comparison

And this is a guy who was training at Nova Uniao, where they stuck with the brutal old school sparring and weight cut methods well after other camps modernised.

And yet he's still stopping young contenders like Moicano and dangerous wiley vets like Lil Heathen.

Last edited:
Aldo has lost a step physically, but his main problem is that he's been figured out. Aldo does the same thing each fight, and he's damn good at it, but if you're good you can exploit his habits.

Pick at him/fake strikes, avoid his big power for a round or two, and then step on the gas.

lol And yet people want to see him rematch Conor McGregor, the same man that knocked him senseless

You make it sounds like it's farfetched that he could win a rematch but that fight lasted so little, it gave us very little sense of how they match up. If Aldo doesn't act uncharacteristically rashly and doesn't get caught, then what? We have no idea.

He was a champ before UFC then reigned in it to, lost the belt but came back to win it again. He’s done it all and whilst he probably still is physically able to become a champ again he doesn’t have the mental drive after already doing it all

If Aldo is a GOAT then so is Askren.

Preposterous comparison! Aldo dominated his weight class for years, beating the best opponents available; Askren has a couple of good wins, the best of which is widely considered phony.

Preposterous comparison! Aldo dominated his weight class for years, beating the best opponents available; Askren has a couple of good wins, the best of which is widely considered phony.

Why? Aldo dominated FW at the highest level for years. Askren can't even have a dominating performances on his only win at the highest level. TF you talking about.

Nah, just disappointed in myself that I bit the bait so easily. Troll on young Andrew, troll on.

its been evident for a while but never more than in his complete lackluster performance against Volkanski.

Sorry but the Aussie guy is as ordinary as they come prime ALDO would have played with him easily.

He clearly couldn’t pull the trigger anymore despite never being hurt he just couldn’t do nothing anymore.

I’m afraid Aldo is just looking to get paid now ala Anderson Silva.

Tbh he hasn't declined, maybe not at all. 145 just got better. The Aussie guy ain't as ordinary as they come, he's a monster and I expect him to tear through Max like Jones tore through Shogun. Have never been as certain of a title challengers success as I have with Volk. If the level of Aldo's competition dips I think he will look great again(this is why he wants to go to a 135 he's clearly too big for cause he knows he can win that belt). Dude was on top in the early 2010's from the WEC era, truth is he was dominating the early days of sub 155 MMA and the sport has just evolved. Aldo isn't old at all, he's in his early 30's and every time he faces a 5-10 guy he looks like "prime Aldo".

Tbh he hasn't declined, maybe not at all. 145 just got better. The Aussie guy ain't as ordinary as they come, he's a monster and I expect him to tear through Max like Jones tore through Shogun. Have never been as certain of a title challengers success as I have with Volk. If the level of Aldo's competition dips I think he will look great again(this is why he wants to go to a 135 he's clearly too big for cause he knows he can win that belt). Dude was on top in the early 2010's from the WEC era, truth is he was dominating the early days of sub 155 MMA and the sport has just evolved. Aldo isn't old at all, he's in his early 30's and every time he faces a 5-10 guy he looks like "prime Aldo".
idk what youre watching

watch any of his fights pretty much from 2017 on and then watch a fight of his from like 2012. the speed, athleticism, explosiveness etc. is on another level. hes clearly lost a few steps just like everyone does when they fight for a long time. his style wasnt gonna age too well to begin with being that he was an explosive muay thai striker that used his physical tools to dominate fights. fast forward to now he barely moves in his fights and is essentially a stationary boxer that throws a kick once in a while. he has like half of the energy that he had 5 years ago

Volkanoski is a tough match up for any version of Aldo. Aldo had no idea what to do when the shorter fighter was actually capable of outstriking him from range. He was used to countering short wrestlers like Edgar and mendes who had to close the range on him, but volkanovski just outpointed Aldo from range and made Aldo look confused.

Volkanovski is not "ordinary", he's Mendes 2.0 with better cardio.

yeah its been evident that aldo is not championship material anymore.

he can be like urijah faber now and just beat prospects who are climbing the ranks.

max, volk, ortega, zabit, korean zombie and emmet beat him imo. the rest he beats.
emmett was losing to michael johnson before pulling off a hail mary shot. Aldo beats him

Volkonovski may not be the most exciting guy in the world, but he's on quite the streak and may well cause Max a few issues.

the man has been professionally fighting for almost 15yrs....he SHOULD be declining.....unless he is immortal.... <BC1>

Lots of fight mileage. He was already approaching the end of his prime when the WEC got absorbed, add injuries and whatnot ... it happens. The fact that he's still fucking formidable as a testament to his skill and heart.

"Aldo's decline" was slow and he won an unanimous decision against Frankie and then went on to fu** up Stephens and Moicano even as he is far past his prime.....<mma3>Volk is under rated that is all.

Last edited:
TS suffers from hella recency bias. Goddang amnesiacs everywhere. <mma3>

Last edited:
He got a taste of that reebok money along with reebok swag...a taste of the high life, if you will...and now he balloons up to 220 in between fights. He got fat and happy, and the result is what you see now.

I heard sometimes he doesn't even train ufc anymore...he just goes into the jungle every day, and reenacts that scene from footloose where Kevin Bacon does an angry dance. Aldo is a huge footloose fan.

Back