Movies AL Pacino Movie Marathon (Movie #13 - The Devil's Advocate)

GOAT
pacino-cruising.gif

Scent of a woman is terrific.

I used to love him and then once he became this mega star he starts adding his own script and just talks too much.. watch the difference in godfather 1-2 and then godfather 3.. or any movie he’s in now

Just like the Clint Eastwood marathon watch, I'm gonna watch majority of Al Pacinos filmography, except this time I'm gonna do it in order starting with his 70s work.

First up: The Panic in Needle Park

I will not be watching: The Godfather & The Godfather II because they're both 10/10 films, they are my favorite films, and my ratings on them will never change.

Current Rankings

1. The Godfather - 10
2. The Godfather II - 10

Skip the 70s and go straight to jack and jill

Dont watch anything after like 1995 just started yelling all the time in every movie. Maybe he went def I dunno, but huge difference in craftsmanship

These are the ones where I think you'll get more bang for your buck compared to the film's reputation or esteem...

Looking for Richard - about as interesting as Shakespeare can be for someone who isn't another student of the Bard.
Cruising - movie had a lot of atmosphere and great supporting actors like Joe Spinell, Steve Inwood, etc. It could have taken place somewhere else in a shared universe with Taxi Driver and Nighthawks.
Two for the Money - as far as Pacino's later "actor for hire" phase of his career it is one of the best movies.
And Justice for All - was held in high regard in its day but is the forgotten classic of Pacino's career now.
Carlito's Way - perhaps Pacino's last great performance and kind of an elsewords spiritual what if sequel to Scarface.

* Movie #1 Scarface

My Rating - 9/10
This is probably my 10th time or so watching this film.
Excellent film. The story is great, coming from nothing to something, the acting was great, the action was great and the ending was excellent. My only gripe with it is

Tony giving it all up over a woman and kids he didn't know

I get that he has a code but he also told Sosa that he would never f*** over anyone that didn't have it coming and Sosa didn't have it coming, he was trying to protect the business. Tonys downfall was steep and the fall was great but it's also what made the film excellent. It's rare to find a great film where the main character goes out on his shield. I remember making a thread asking you guys to rate Scarface and was a little surprised at a lot of the reactions to it. This film is a high 8 at worst for me.

I don't know what it is, but I never thought of Scarface as this remarkable film like others do. I give it a 6.5.

Scarface is Overrated. New Jack City is 2x as good.

But Donnie Basco is better than Scarface of a Al flix.

Not even fucking close.

Scarface is one of the best movies ever made.

NJC is good but not even in the same league as scarface.

* Movie #1 Scarface

My Rating - 9/10
This is probably my 10th time or so watching this film.
Excellent film. The story is great, coming from nothing to something, the acting was great, the action was great and the ending was excellent. My only gripe with it is

Tony giving it all up over a woman and kids he didn't know

I get that he has a code but he also told Sosa that he would never f*** over anyone that didn't have it coming and Sosa didn't have it coming, he was trying to protect the business. Tonys downfall was steep and the fall was great but it's also what made the film excellent. It's rare to find a great film where the main character goes out on his shield. I remember making a thread asking you guys to rate Scarface and was a little surprised at a lot of the reactions to it. This film is a high 8 at worst for me.

the kids thing made sense. He liked kids and wanted kids of his own. He wanted to protect what he thought was pure, even down to the over protection of his sister. I think what makes it great is that despite all his negative qualities and actions, it's the good still left in him that starts the clock of his downfall.

Anyway, I just finished watching it. I havent seen it fully through in several years but it's one I also used to watch pretty frequently.

Still holds up for me. Every scene in the movie is memorable and engaging. The acting is top notch even down to Ernie. The movie is amazing to look at, the score is fantastic. The writing and directing is top notch. The editing is also amazing, no scene goes on too long or not long enough.

I think it's a 9.5/10 for me. Maybe even higher. Theres almost nothing I dislike about it. Personally I think it's up there when it comes to ATG movies.

the kids thing made sense. He liked kids and wanted kids of his own. He wanted to protect what he thought was pure, even down to the over protection of his sister. I think what makes it great is that despite all his negative qualities and actions, it's the good still left in him that starts the clock of his downfall.

Anyway, I just finished watching it. I havent seen it fully through in several years but it's one I also used to watch pretty frequently.

Still holds up for me. Every scene in the movie is memorable and engaging. The acting is top notch even down to Ernie. The movie is amazing to look at, the score is fantastic. The writing and directing is top notch. The editing is also amazing, no scene goes on too long or not long enough.

I think it's a 9.5/10 for me. Maybe even higher. Theres almost nothing I dislike about it. Personally I think it's up there when it comes to ATG movies.

Bisex gives it a 10 as well you're not alone. He might have wanted kids but to end his empire which is what he chose to do since he didn't kill the guy who was going to give the speech then he ultimately chose strangers over his life. I mean I guess he couldn't have thought about that and just acted out in rage but that's what he did.

The last 12 mins I could watch all the time it's so good. Perfect ending to an excellent movie. Carlito was good but nowhere close to Scarface. Penn was excellent and stood out over all. Have that in the 8 range.

Back