Aikido

lol @ combat aikido... wow... just wow

But seriously I got a brown belt in aikido before I decided to fight right... just don't put your bodyweight into your strikes and you'll be fine. Don't leave anything hanging out either... should be pretty easy.

P.S. please update with what happens in the fight lol

Just watch yourself when you start, and feel him out first.
You never know what he knows apart from combat aikido, whatever that is.

Aikido? You will pwn him with whatever you want. Just dont leave your hand limp and ready to be grabbed! And if he does grab it, just go with whatever he does!

I have no real advice for you. But all i can say is Goodluck man. Just keep level headed don't let his fight style make you think it will be a cake walk, or else your in for rude awakening..

Don't worry, you will kill him! Aikido isn't a striking art so i really wouldn't worry.:icon_chee

I have done a bit of Aikido and some bits are good but most of it isn't alive!!

But seriously I got a brown belt in aikido before I decided to fight right... just don't put your bodyweight into your strikes and you'll be fine. Don't leave anything hanging out either... should be pretty easy.

I agree, they use your body weight against you.

Good luck.:icon_chee

Aikido guys are all about retreating at angles.

Watch which way your guys circles as he backs up in the warmup, as he'll have a favorite side.

Double leg him, and plan on dumping him to the side he favors, transitioning to the full mount immediately.

My experience has been that Aikido guys will try to sidestep you like a bullfighter, but have very little takedown defense, but pretty good submissions, some of them a little unexpected.

thanks again guys. i'm trying to stay cautious about aikido because i don't know it at all. i will definitely not expect him to just let me beat his ass but i'm really confident i can. my boxing is pretty good and like most wrestlers i have some power. thanks again i'll let you know how it goes.

thanks again guys. i'm trying to stay cautious about aikido because i don't know it at all. i will definitely not expect him to just let me beat his ass but i'm really confident i can. my boxing is pretty good and like most wrestlers i have some power. thanks again i'll let you know how it goes.
do us proud, bring the videos

for sure my man. i actually have a student of mine coming to film it for me so it should be pretty funny.

Ok, awesome. But hey, listen, don't read this whole thread and go in there cocky. You know, just in case he has taken some kickboxing too or something. We don't need another Cro Cop video, right? You go in there and put it to him right from the start. I mean, if he's tough then you are prepared, and if he sucks, well then you'll be surprised how easy it was. Good luck!!

Ok, awesome. But hey, listen, don't read this whole thread and go in there cocky. You know, just in case he has taken some kickboxing too or something. We don't need another Cro Cop video, right? You go in there and put it to him right from the start. I mean, if he's tough then you are prepared, and if he sucks, well then you'll be surprised how easy it was. Good luck!!

ya i don't want to be a shamrock. i really want to ko someone standing i have never done it. i have got a few wobbly but never straight out. i couldn't find the chin but my boxing is better now so i really hope to catch him. it's headgear though so we will see. i definitely have the power at 155 though.

Aikido guys generally have low skill level when it comes to striking. They also are more comfortable countering than attacking.

The problem with Aikido is that the founder trained hard in Daito-Ryu Aikijujutsu and.........no one else has.

So you have this incredible martial artist and weapons expert who makes an incredible system based in swordplay mixed with Japanese jujutsu, and then...well everyone else, who doesn't do anything effective training wise, or really care.

I once talked to a female Aikido third degree black belt who never had to use her skills ever in a combat situation.

I love Aikido's philosophy and respect o-sensei Morihei Ueshiba, but it is not going to be too difficult to get past.

The problem with Aikido is that the founder trained hard in Daito-Ryu Aikijujutsu and.........no one else has.

So you have this incredible martial artist and weapons expert who makes an incredible system based in swordplay mixed with Japanese jujutsu, and then...well everyone else, who doesn't do anything effective training wise, or really care.

I once talked to a female Aikido third degree black belt who never had to use her skills ever in a combat situation.

I love Aikido's philosophy and respect o-sensei Morihei Ueshiba, but it is not going to be too difficult to get past.

Oh yes. But I must disagree with you, for that art is truly fearsome but mine is even better. I am the founder and uncontested world champion 40th degree black belt of Takai Sudo-rate. Its a mix of wrestling, boxing, muay thai, bjj, jjj, taekwondo, karate, judo, and marksmanship.

As has been mentioned, whatever you do DO NOT run at him with your hands extended.

It will be curtains for you pal. Ive had the oppurtunity to train with a highly ranked Aikido expert and to be honest I wasnt that impressed. He had an inflated opinion of what he could with his abilitys and upon demonstration in a "what if they do this" scenario for the class had no answer for my MT clinch which would have opened his eyes had I choosen to spin him and actually deliver knees. As it stood, I didnt want to embarass the man in front of 30 students.

Combat Aikido may be a completely different story, but I wouldnt let this "lull" you into believing its going to be a cake walk. He may very well be extremely well rounded, but its a safe bet the skills you will face from a true Aikido practitional well involve techniques from close quarters, they usually like to work off being grabbed or chased in a manner like you're trying to grab them. You should expect some type of throwing abilitys, depending on how advanced the guy is.

i do aikido and that opening line was hilarious because its so true!

honestly tho do one of 3 things:

a) take it to the ground thus making his aikido useless, since there is no ground training

and heres the secret to seriously beating anyone who even thinks of standing in front of you with the intention of using aikido in a MMA fight...

b) just jab him to death, honestly in aikido there is no defense for a quick jab at all

c) low leg kicks, there is nothing stopping that at all either, every time im at aikido im SO tempted to just give a hard kick to my partners lead leg just to see how he reacts :icon_chee because kicks in general are not practiced at all and usually if they are its only effective against a very weak one

but in all honesty i think this guy probably is more well rounded than just having aikido in his arsenal...i hope...but if he does these 3 things are your best bet.

Despite what some people would have you think in this post if he is actually good at aikido, he'll be pretty evasive. Treat him more like a judo guy than anything else and remember that aikido is based on the idea that your attacker is giving you 100% commitment in his attack, and then looking for the counter. This really only applies to haymakers and such (hence why the jab will frustrate him), if you keep good boxing and or MT stance/technique and remember to protect if he wants to counter you'll negate almost all of it on the feet.

i do aikido and that opening line was hilarious because its so true!

honestly tho do one of 3 things:

a) take it to the ground thus making his aikido useless

and heres the secret to seriously beating anyone who even thinks of standing in front of you with the intention of using aikido in a MMA fight...

b) just jab him to death, honestly in aikido there is no defense for a quick jab at all

c) low leg kicks, there is nothing stopping that at all either, every time im at aikido im SO tempted to just give a hard kick to my partners lead leg just to see how he reacts :icon_chee
because kicks in general are not practiced at all and usually only effective against a very weak one

but in all honesty i think this guy probably is more well rounded than just having aikido in his arsenal...i hope...but if he does these 3 things are your best bet

actually my muay thai instructor told me about the same thing last night. he is a second degree black belt in aikido so we worked leg kicks to death. he really wants me to set up the takedown with the kicks and some punches.

Back