• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

After Three Years Grappling I Am Starting To Feel Comfortable

DaleyChamp

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Recently won my first blue belt competition gold medal and feel like im building good skillset. How long did it take you to find your form on the mats?

Ten years in and a brown belt, I'm still searching but that's the fun, always learning.

At three years I didn't even realize how I liked to play. Was a point grappler and it wasn't my thing. Sub guy.

Last edited:
A year of casual Judo then a bit over 2 years BJJ now. I feel comfortable smashing most new people, even younger and more athletic, unless they were a good former wrestler. And I can handle the other guys still at white belt but would not say I can always impose what I want, and I still fall back on the same 2-3 sweeps and subs if challenged in the slightest. I still feel very much shut down by seasoned blue belts, and helpless against most purple belts but I can survive. I guess that's what I am comfortable with? Surviving bad positions and not giving up a sub as easily? I definitely feel more at home fighting out of bad spots than avoiding them or imposing my own offensive on others.

When you are in competition, this is the time to believe you know everything, and that you are unstoppable.

When you are out of competition, this is the time to believe you know nothing, and that everything you think you know is at best incomplete.

Both mindsets must exist in harmony. Neither is ever fully true, nor is either ever completely false.

Back