After 13 years, I re start with BJJ

Daniel Wanderley's got some slick stuff. He did a seminar at our gym a couple months ago. Really cool guy too.

The two arts are very closely related, if your proficient at Judo, you should pick up BJJ easily and progress quite faster then others.

13 years ago, Rickson Gracie gave me a blue belt after rolling with me. From that time, I would go and roll with some BJJ guys, but never really want to go deeper into it since my thing was purely judo. I recently started officially training with Carlson Gracie Jr and his 2nd degree BB Daniel Wanderley. I am really having a blast training with these guys. Since my club participates in BJJ tournaments, I became an associate club, so, my students can actually be ranked in BJJ by Carlson Gracie.

Cool. That slightly reminds me of this guy, who originally got a blue belt from Craig Kukuk way back in the day, left BJJ for almost two decades, then restarted and re-earned his blue belt around 2009 or so (from a Matt Serra black belt, IIRC, or at least somebody in the Renzo lineage).

I'm guessing this doesn't quite apply to you, as you were still training judo and competing in BJJ tournaments, but did it feel at all strange strapping the blue belt back on after so long?

13 years ago? Wow BJJ as a whole has changed a lot in the past 6 years, not too mention 13 years. good for you though.

but did it feel at all strange strapping the blue belt back on after so long?
Cool story! It didn't feel strange because I was contemplating in coming back for good for awhile, my life's circumstances changed and I had the opportunity to train on Tuesdays and Thursdays mornings. The dynamics of judo and BJJ are similar. While on the ground, Judo in BJJ helps me with my base, balance and control. Things evolved so much in BJJ from 13 years ago. I am enjoying very much and I feel that I am improving even when I get my @ss kicked LOL. But it's just a matter of time until I figure them out...:icon_chee

Great stuff man and great attitude to have.

I am not nearly your age (31) but I know I will def. have to invest some serious time into Judo in the near future.

I dread what it will do to my body though, to be honest. Much easier to go the other way around...

Enjoy the journey!

Man, tell me about it! Just injured my tail bone during judo sparring. I can't sit, can't pull guard, can't go on my back and I am walking funny! This is the first time I injured the tail bone, so don't know exactly how long it will take to heal. I guess I 'll be out of training for few weeks! It suck!

Back