African Boxers

People used to tell me West Africans are more athletic than other parts of Africa but not always true. South Africa, central and eastern have some good boxers. I think Ghana and South Africa push for boxing more whilst certain other countries don't have the opportunity.

I'm interested on knowing the little differences between East Africans and west Africans in regards to boxing. West Africans tend to be more muscular and explosive (good sprinters) whilst east africans tend to be leaner, long and great long distance runners. But with boxing there are so many different types of things you need to be good at. Its not just about explosiveness or stamina. There's so much more to it. Wish I could get several good boxing trainers and send them to different parts of Africa to train up some amateurs and have them fight each other. Be interested on seeing who comes out on top. Would be a good idea for a tv show but doubt it would ever happen.
well, Ghana, South Africa, and Nigeria are relatively developed areas for the African continent. I can't really speak to the ideas of physical differences, but I do believe that economics probably do play at least some factor in how they develop.

Sinister had an interesting quote a while back on how Uganda developed good boxers, I'll see if I can dig it up.

Well how about Zolani Tete? Soon to be fighting in the WBSS Bantamweight tournament. He'll be in with the likes of Inoue and Burnett so we should get to see how good he really is.

Gonna be a great tournament, potentially better than the CW one. I’m a big fan of Burnett but I struggle to see how he wins it with tete and especially inoue in it

Gonna be a great tournament, potentially better than the CW one. I’m a big fan of Burnett but I struggle to see how he wins it with tete and especially inoue in it
Yeah I'm really looking forward to it, the Bantamweights are where the class fighters reside. I think this will make the Monster really blow up when he slices through the tournament like a hot knife through butter.

Poverty always makes better fighters than any shade of skin. Africa is the last continent to develop so it's no suprise if there emerges some solid fighters from there.

You want to get the best fighters you find people with the worst lives.

People used to tell me West Africans are more athletic than other parts of Africa but not always true. South Africa, central and eastern have some good boxers. I think Ghana and South Africa push for boxing more whilst certain other countries don't have the opportunity.

I'm interested on knowing the little differences between East Africans and west Africans in regards to boxing. West Africans tend to be more muscular and explosive (good sprinters) whilst east africans tend to be leaner, long and great long distance runners. But with boxing there are so many different types of things you need to be good at. Its not just about explosiveness or stamina. There's so much more to it. Wish I could get several good boxing trainers and send them to different parts of Africa to train up some amateurs and have them fight each other. Be interested on seeing who comes out on top. Would be a good idea for a tv show but doubt it would ever happen.
Many people from central and southern Africa have West African ancestry because of the Bantu expansion.

Poverty always makes better fighters than any shade of skin. Africa is the last continent to develop so it's no suprise if there emerges some solid fighters from there.

A lot of truth to that. There's always exceptions but having a shitty life and limited options does forge a will to win at fighting.

has there ever been a notable ethiopian boxer? the modal personality of ethiopians doesn't lend itself to a vicious sport at all. the biggest issue is lack of good training I would think. South Africa has decent training I suppose but most of the talent had been coaxed out by british or other peoples. Black people have alot of things physically that help them with the sport but I still think china is the place to watch for boxers in the future but they'd have the same problem, no real boxing teachers, lots of martial arts but no good boxing training. Manny was a fluke and even he was too basic a fighter, without some of his freakish gifts and the drugs, he wouldn't have had the necessary skills to succeed in the sport.

Azumah Nelson was the first fighter I thought of when I saw this thread. ATG imo as well
azumah, dick tiger, some of the old timers, usually they are so completely out of their element from a business perspective that they get fucked. Battling Siki had a rough time, us tribal peoples, worldwide have a hard time telling people to fuck off when they are trying to give you a fucking. Also, we don't know how to be selfish, azumah and dick tiger were known to give away their shit. Azumah seems to be doing ok, dick tiger had to work as a security guard before he died of cancer.

Depends on your definition of "produced"...there's a big difference between trainers who get a guy who already knows how to fight, and trainers who build fighters from the ground up.

As an example, every major fighter from Uganda for the past 20-30 years has been produced by the same trainer from the ground level. Mugabi, Bogere, Kalule (I believe), Juuko, and right now Commonwealth Champion Fazil Juuma, and hosts of other very good Ugandan fighters. Meanwhile Angelo Dundee is credit with a litany of champs, most of which he didn't teach how to fight.

found it.

Wish I could get several good boxing trainers and send them to different parts of Africa to train up some amateurs and have them fight each other. Be interested on seeing who comes out on top. Would be a good idea for a tv show but doubt it would ever happen.
I'd totally watch that

has there ever been a notable ethiopian boxer? the modal personality of ethiopians doesn't lend itself to a vicious sport at all. the biggest issue is lack of good training I would think. South Africa has decent training I suppose but most of the talent had been coaxed out by british or other peoples. Black people have alot of things physically that help them with the sport but I still think china is the place to watch for boxers in the future but they'd have the same problem, no real boxing teachers, lots of martial arts but no good boxing training. Manny was a fluke and even he was too basic a fighter, without some of his freakish gifts and the drugs, he wouldn't have had the necessary skills to succeed in the sport.
I don't know of any Ethiopians who made it in pro boxing. I'm surprised as they can be quite long-limbed cardio machines and they have a warrior tradition being one of the only countries in Africa that was never fully conquered by invaders. And next door to Ethiopia is Somalia. Now I'm surprised they haven't produced any good boxers, well none that I'm aware of, as they have a warrior tradition with the Dervishes. And they seem to be quite long-limbed and have good cardio potential too. But I'm surprised they haven't produced any notable long-distance runners as well. You could count Mo Farah I suppose.

And I agree with you about China, big country with a lot of poor people. I think that will be a big hotspot in the future for pro boxers. You can see the strides they have made with their amateur game in a short time frame.

I don't know of any Ethiopians who made it in pro boxing. I'm surprised as they can be quite long-limbed cardio machines and they have a warrior tradition being one of the only countries in Africa that was never fully conquered by invaders. And next door to Ethiopia is Somalia. Now I'm surprised they haven't produced any good boxers, well none that I'm aware of, as they have a warrior tradition with the Dervishes. And they seem to be quite long-limbed and have good cardio potential too. But I'm surprised they haven't produced any notable long-distance runners as well. You could count Mo Farah I suppose.

And I agree with you about China, big country with a lot of poor people. I think that will be a big hotspot in the future for pro boxers. You can see the strides they have made with their amateur game in a short time frame.

i never thought of ethiopia as a warrior country, the ethiopians i've known have almost always been very quiet, respectful and mellow. the women are gorgeous of course with beatiful healthy bodies. anyway, one of my friends is ethiopian, known him for 20 years, i used to work with him, one day, i saw his car in the lot and I said to a co-worker "shaka zulu is here" he said "who?" I said "robel" he said "forgive me, i Never thought of Robel as Shaka Zulu". Robel looks like urkel more than shaka, straight nerd but wonderful guy.

Africa is the last continent to develop so it's no suprise if there emerges some solid fighters from there.

I used to think this but not always the case. There have been fighters who come from good lifestyles and still end up good fighters. I don't think you have to come from poverty but I guess it helps.

I used to think this but not always the case. There have been fighters who come from good lifestyles and still end up good fighters. I don't think you have to come from poverty but I guess it helps.

Poverty does tend to be a common thread across country and colour (as it does in many sports), but gyms and infrastructure are almost universally key, as well (as we've seen with the way guys like Mayweather, Golovkin, Hopkins, etc. train, it's not a matter of equipment, either, it's guidance, so costs, generally speaking, aren't prohibitive). Not all great African fighters came from being destitute, either. A guy like Kalambay, for example, came from a relatively affluent family.

Last edited:

Statistically the numbers favour poverty, but yes, it's not fated that wealthy social elites cannot become great athletes, it's just significantly less common.

Statistically the numbers favour poverty, but yes, it's not fated that wealthy social elites cannot become great athletes, it's just significantly less common.
Yeah you only really get the odd example: Barrera was one I believe, a lawyer.

Can't remember the name properly. Maybe it's ajagba. Guy who was going to fight the dude that walked out of the ring when the fight started.

well, Ghana, South Africa, and Nigeria are relatively developed areas for the African continent. I can't really speak to the ideas of physical differences, but I do believe that economics probably do play at least some factor in how they develop.

Sinister had an interesting quote a while back on how Uganda developed good boxers, I'll see if I can dig it up.
Well. South Africa was fairly developed.

They'll be very little talent coming out of south Africa for the next few years sadly. Athletic talents actually have to have something to eat.

Poverty does tend to be a common thread across country and colour (as it does in many sports), but gyms and infrastructure are almost universally key, as well (as we've seen with the way guys like Mayweather, Golovkin, Hopkins, etc. train, it's not a matter of equipment, either, it's guidance, so costs, generally speaking, aren't prohibitive). Not all great African fighters came from being destitute, either. A guy like Kalambay, for example, came from a relatively affluent family.
this was my thought too. Afghanistan, Timor-Leste, Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos, Bangladesh, Nepal, Guatemala, Bolivia, and various others are all nations with significant poverty (that aren't African) and between them all I can't think of any significant, high level boxers. There has to be a boxing culture, and some boxing infrastructure/resources.

Well. South Africa was fairly developed.

They'll be very little talent coming out of south Africa for the next few years sadly. Athletic talents actually have to have something to eat.
I feel like you're thinking of the horrific famine in South Sudan. South Africa, while definitely victim to many problems (including arguably the worlds worst wealth inequality), isn't exactly in a state of famine. And the whole "blacks can't farm" line as a response to land nationalization seems a little hackneyed doesn't it?

Back