Social Afghan girls detained and lashed by Taliban for violating hijab rules

LeonardoBjj

Professional Wrestler
@Brown
Reaction score
Girls as young as 16 arrested in shops, classes and markets in Kabul by the Taliban, who labelled them ‘infidels’ for wearing ‘bad hijab’
Zuhal Ahad
Wed 10 Jan 2024 06.30 GMT

Girls as young as 16 have been arrested across the Afghan capital, Kabul, in the past week for violating the Taliban’s hijab rules.
The girls – who were detained in shopping centres, classes and street markets – were accused of “spreading and encouraging others to wear a bad hijab” and wearing makeup.

Since taking power in Afghanistan in August 2021, the Taliban have further restricted women’s access to education, employment and public spaces. In May 2022, they decreed that women should cover themselves from head to toe, revealing only their eyes.
Lale*, 16, said she was arrested by the Taliban along with a number of other girls at her English language class and pulled into a police truck.

She said girls who confronted the men and refused to go were beaten, while she was lashed on her feet and legs when trying to reason with them. Her father was later badly beaten for “raising immoral girls”.

“My attire was modest and even included a face mask – a precaution I had adopted since the Taliban takeover,” said Lale. “But they beat me anyway, insisting that my outfit was improper.”

Lale, who was detained for two days and nights, said the Taliban repeatedly cursed them as infidels, for studying English and for aspiring to go abroad.

She was released after community elders intervened and she signed a document pledging not to leave her home without the mandatory head-covering. She has also been banned from attending her English classes.

5000.jpg

Lale: ‘I was barred from school when the Taliban took over in 2021, and now I cannot even go to my private classes.’ Photograph: Ebrahim Noroozi/AP

“I was barred from school when the Taliban took over in 2021, and now I cannot even go to my private classes,” she said. “I can no longer imagine anything for my future other than staying home and getting married.

“I saw how badly my father was beaten because I went to the [English] course. When I saw his photos after returning home, I was so scared that I would lose him. I don’t have the motivation to study after this. I don’t want this experience again.”

Zabihullah Mujahid, the Taliban’s chief spokesperson, claimed in a voice message to the Guardian that families of the detained women had raised concerns with the Ministry for Propagation of Virtue and Prevention of Vice that their daughters were supported by foreign groups to promote “bad hijab”.

“As a result, they were taken to police stations and freed on bail,” he said, adding that such arrests were “not usual practice”.

The detentions happened less than a week after the UN security council requested a special envoy to engage with the Taliban, particularly over gender and women’s rights. The Taliban rejected this proposal, however, claiming it would complicate the situation by imposing external solutions.

Fereshta Abbasi, a researcher at the New York-based organisation Human Rights Watch, said: “The arrests of women in Afghanistan are a further crackdown on the basic rights of women and can be intimidating and put more pressure even on women who are still working in the health, primary education and nutrition sectors, and they would not appear in public as they used to.”

Videos and photographs shared with the Guardian by another female Afghan activist, who asked not to disclose her identity, show a number of men and women demonstrating in the Dasht-e-Barchi area of Kabul, with placards inviting people to a “beautiful life” by “promoting and observing proper hijab”.

The activist, who witnessed the demonstrations, explained that these were families of detainees seeking the release of the women and aiming to prevent further arrests in the community.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-...tan-girls-detained-beaten-taliban-hijab-rules

Different Culture.... easy to judge.

They are a bunch of cunts.
These muslim extremists are a pox on humanity... Women, Muslims, Christians, Jews, Hindu's, athiests... EVERYBODY.

It is disgusting to me that in 2023 this shit still exists on planet earth.

They are lucky that they didn't get stripped naked and stoned to death in the street.

Different Culture.... easy to judge.

They are a bunch of cunts.
These muslim extremists are a pox on humanity... Women, Muslims, Christians, Jews, Hindu's, athiests... EVERYBODY.

It is disgusting to me that in 2023 this shit still exists on planet earth.

What is even crazier that when do this barbaric shit that they all use their new iphones to record it happening.

like you said, it crazy that in 2024 this shit is still happening and millions condone it.

What is even crazier that when do this barbaric shit that they all use their new iphones to record it happening.

like you said, it crazy that in 2024 this shit is still happening and millions condone it.

"we hate everything from the west. it is haram. Oh wait it benefits me, its fine"

On one hand some people would say that the US should have never left, but on the other hand the US stayed all that time and clearly effected 0 lasting change on the culture. Making coked-out government security forces do jumping jacks isn't anything compared to 1300 years of religious history and its' impact on the local culture.

On one hand some people would say that the US should have never left, but on the other hand the US stayed all that time and clearly effected 0 lasting change on the culture. Making coked-out government security forces do jumping jacks isn't anything compared to 1300 years of religious history and its' impact on the local culture.
This is overly simplistic, Afghanistan was fairly progressive before Cold War power struggles really did a number of civil society. Change is possible, it just takes a long time and lots of effort.

This is overly simplistic, Afghanistan was fairly progressive before Cold War power struggles really did a number of civil society. Change is possible, it just takes a long time and lots of effort.

Pretty much all of the Muslim world has become more extremist. Although what we typically call "extremist" Islamic groups in the West are in practice orthodox Islam groups. They can easily justify their actions by pointing to a more literal reading of their religious texts. Since these religious texts are set in stone - Allah has revealed all there is to know, no more has to be searched or discovered - the risk of extremism will likely never go away, only fluctuate.

Although what we typically call "extremist" Islamic groups in the West are in practice orthodox Islam groups.
Those aren't orthodox Islamic positions or groups, the kind of extremist political Islam you have in mind is effectively a 20th century extremism. That's like me arguing that the orthodox position in Christianity is the Youth Earth position, even though that too is a modern offshoot. I think you are confusing various types of political Islam. That's not to say there hasn't been democratic backsliding, it comes and goes for various reasons.
Since these religious texts are set in stone - Allah has revealed all there is to know, no more has to be searched or discovered - the risk of extremism will likely never go away, only fluctuate.
There is plenty of interpretation and debate of religious texts. Do you not realize how many scholars spend their entire lives debating various practical (or non-practical/theoretical) questions in Islam?

Extremism will always exist, but the main problem with the modern wave of it is it arose from the corrosion of civil society, and that's very slow and difficult to fix.

Damn, that's downright lenient for the Taliban. Maybe all hope is not lost. In 100 years, maybe they'll be allowed to read. Baby steps...

And these are the people that the blue hairs are cheering on. Also, a lot of people want to blame this on local culture or the country when it’s simply Islam being practiced as it’s written.

No one should want this spreading to Europe and around the world. I have no problem with people believing in God/Allah or cherry picking good things out of holy texts. When you practice fundamentalism however, that should not be tolerated or respected. It’s barbaric and has no place in a civilized society.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back