Affects of swimming on explosive power in legs?

zere0wn

Green Belt
Reaction score
Wondering what sort of effect swimming has on explosive power in the legs? someone said swimming lengthens the quadricep, i would think this would limit explosiveness? Is "lengthening" the quadriceps even a real concept? Just another one of those things i heard in the gym...I'm using the vertical jump bible to increase my vertical but have begun swimming once or twice a week so wondering....

Very little. Good for endurance, and taking the stress off your joints.

If you "lengthen" any of your muscles, you best go to the ER.

Swimming is good active rest though. A number of top strongmen do it, I believe.

What do you mean by active rest? not sure what that means, sorry

"Active rest" and "active recovery" are just fancy words for doing something that's not especially taxing, but still gets your muscles moving. You recover more quickly between workouts if you do SOMETHING as opposed to just sitting on your ass.

For people who train in martial arts or even just do manual labor for a living it's pretty much built in.

I find swimming to be mostly upperbody

I haven't been in a pool, lake, or ocean since I was 15, and the only reason I did it then was because I was on a ton of acid.

I think that would cause me to freak out. Or drown. Possibly one as the result of the other.

"Active rest" and "active recovery" are just fancy words for doing something that's not especially taxing, but still gets your muscles moving. You recover more quickly between workouts if you do SOMETHING as opposed to just sitting on your ass.

For people who train in martial arts or even just do manual labor for a living it's pretty much built in.

mind over matter

if you don't mind, it don't matter

The question is:
Do you swim naked?

Just one on topic comment: From what I've seen, sprinters in swimming tend to use a lot more leg because they need to utilize every tool in their arsenal for the sake of more speed. Some of those guys have strong enough legs to kick 100m faster than most people off the street can do a full body 100m freestyle.

Back