Advice on jiu jitsu books

Zankou said:
I just ordered The Guard too. Has anybody seen it yet? It looks awesome, I can't wait. I already have Passing The Guard.

Who's that by? Joe Moreira or somebody? He promoted Beneville and Cartmell, right?

Yeah. It's by Moreira. I got it, and it looks great. The only thing I don't like is that he calls shrimping "snake moves," which I find really cheezy. Otherwise it is a sweet book.

Actually Royler has a submission wrestling book out now and its pretty nice.

i just ordered "the path to the black belt" by rodrigo...on amazon it had really good reviews...so well see about it whenever it gets here

great thread, i am looking to purchase a good beginners BJJ book but that is still effective as many of the basic techniques seem ineffective when on the ground. any reason why beginner should not start with a more advanced book. i do have a wrestling background.

vote for sticky!

that book came and its actually pretty good...it doesnt really have anything to do with progression from belt to belt...its just set up like block lessons...guard...mount...etc....but it is good

and i also ordered jiu jitsu unleashed by eddie bravo...well hafta see about that

but i got brazilian jiu-jitsu from a-z like 2-3 years ago...and i still learn shit from that...its a really good instructional for the price

I own mastering jiu jitsu and the royler book. Both are good reads for beginners.

My next one would be path to black belt and the guard/passing guard series personally.

- J.

I have The Guard by Beneville and Moreira, and it is a must have. I need to pick up Passing the Guard, which I am sad that I don't have. I also own the Renzo and Royler book, and while it has some good techniques, it gets annoying when literally every other word in the descriptions are Renzo or Royler. I like The Guard's descriptions better where they are just like "Blue does x to White" etc. I have read through The Essential Guard for the most part at the bookstore (without buying it) and it has a lot of good stuff such as breaking the posture, closed/open/butterfly/spider guard stuff, attack combinations (I liked the techs from the armwrap), and sweeps also. I plan on getting The Essential Guard and Passing the Guard in the near future.

I know people will laugh when I recomend this, but:

The Encylopedia Of Finishing Holds By Gene LeBell is great.

Sure they don't show how to set them up, and sure quite a few of the hold are a bit out of the realm of reality, but Gene is genuinely funny, and I can almost promise the next "new" submission someone pulls off that leaves everyone wondering how they did it is already somewhere in this book.

Hell, I look at it as a challenge. When I'm good enough to pull off some of these submissions on an unwilling opponent I'll know how good I am. :)

I am not as well read as some of these guys, but I did get Eddie Bravos' jj unleashed. It is a good book man and you can start applying the shit like now. It is all no gi, but awesome control techniques and some good sweeps. The more I play bjj the more I realize this is a game of sweeping nad position control. Not submissions.

I have Royler Gracie's Submission Grappling book (with help from Kid Pelligro and Wellington Dias) and it's pretty good.

It has about 250 pgs and is well-presented. They present many different options (sweeps, defense, submissions) from various positions (mount, guard, side mount, etc). I find it most useful for learning specific moves. Like I've only been rolling for 2 months now, so I've used it so far as a tool to learn 1 or 2 different submissions from each position. The pictures are well done and pretty "illustrative", and the descriptions are thorough, making it clear what should go where and why. If you think about getting this one (he's put out a few books), make sure you get the one which is suited to your game (e.g. gi, no gi, etc.). I bought this one without realizing it was all submission grappling (i.e. no-gi).

Back