Advice on jiu jitsu books

Mike Piekarski

Blue Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
Okay, recently I just got a lot of money that have to be spent towards books, and among many things, one category of books I want to buy are jiu jitsu/mma-type books. Could anyone suggest some good books on these topics?

I've seen a good one by Renzo which I really like and I've seen some technique books, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ed Benneville's Guard book is great.

Eddie Bravo's new book is a fun read with great technique.

Rigan's Triangle book is my favorite and has helped my game a lot

Alberto Crane's books is great too. The most technique I have ever seen in such a small book. Comes with a DVD and is only like 25 bucks.

Mastering Jujitsu by Renzo and John Danaher - good history and overview
Brazilian JiuJitsu Theory and Technique by Renzo and Royler - great for basics
Passing the Guard by Beneville and Cartmell - great for duh, passing the guard
The Guard by Beneville - just ordered it today!!!

anybody know where you can get that book Helio did, the limited edtion one

Anything made with Kid Peligro, he helps put together the best quality books.

I just ordered The Guard too. Has anybody seen it yet? It looks awesome, I can't wait. I already have Passing The Guard.

Yeah, I have the Helio book..."Gracie Jiu Jitsu" hardback. You can get it at www.gracieacademy.com. It's like $70 and honestly I think it's overpriced. But if you got a lot of dough, why not.
Kid Peligro just came out with a new book on the guard too, I think it's called The Essential Guard.

rigan and JJ machado books are good..

For MMA - "BJJ No Holds Barred Fighting Techniques" by Rodrigo Gracie and Kid Peligro.
For BJJ basics - "Brazilian JiuJitsu Theory and Technique" by Renzo and Royler Gracie.
For Self-defense - "BJJ Self-Defense Techniques" by Royce Gracie and Charles Gracie with K. Peligro.
For BJJ advanced (and no gi) - "Black Belt Techniques" by JJ Machado.
For targeted stuff - "The Guard" & "Passing the Guard" - Ed Beneville.

Don't go for Mastering Jiu Jitsu unless you are interested in the history of JJ and some tactics regarding an MMA fight. It's black and white and only no gi stuff, too. Also, all the techniques are contained by the first book I've mentioned.

Why do people say Theory and Technique is good for basics? The techniques aren't very detailed and some, like the gracie gift, will gte you killed. After a few months of training I found it useless and ditched it for "For experts only".

Eddie Bravo's JJ Unleashed is second to none. Best BJJ book on the market.

You have noticed Nick Diaz's Jiu-jitsu............this is where he got his BJJ

From Cesar Gracie's camp, the "Jiu-jitsu Bible"! its the best value. 500+ moves for $34.00

www.BJjBook.com

Reviews;

Nick Diaz , Sport Jiu-jitsu and Submission Grappling Champ and UFC Fighter . " I took Steve Heaths copy [he is in the book] and have referenced it when planning classes I've taught".

"The Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Bible",
Reviewer: Daniel Edralin from Fontana, Ca. United States
Hi, I have been a practitionar of Brazilian Jiu-jitsu for over 3 years studying with Cleber Luciano, who is a black belt under Rickson and Royler Gracie. When I saw the price of this book I did have second thoughts on purchasing it, but went through with the purchase. When the book arrived I was throughly pleased with the book. It includes attacks, sweeps, reversal form every position. It was well worth the price. No color photos, but lots of techniques.

Great book - many fantastic techniques, May 14, 2004
Reviewer: therosen "therosen" (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This may be the first jiu jitsu technique book with so many techniques you will not have time to practice them all. With 500+ moves and 3000+ pictures, you are presented with an enormous brain dump of jiu jitsu as Montanha learned it.

The price is steep but keep it in perspective. A tape set will cost you the same, but you'll be lucky to get 100 techniques from it. Other books are cheaper, but also much thinner. The value you get will be literally years of added positions and techniques to work on.

The book is money well spent for any student of jiu jitsu.

Eddie Bravo's

Jiu-jitsu Unleashed

bar none!!! da best grappling book
my skills, I'd say I'm intermediate

Immortal-BJJ said:
Anything made with Kid Peligro, he helps put together the best quality books.

That should read: Avoid anything made with Kid Peligro.

Yeah honestly, the technique book by renzo and royler blows ass. The passing the guard book is much better. It actually teaches you the BASICS, which Theory & Technique fails miserably. And also, I think it's more important to learn control and passing the guard before submissions.

I've seen lots of books and most are good, probably DAMN good considering we
had 0 for a long time, but
budget presentation, and everything included I'd still go with Eddie's book,
even if I had a $200 budget I'd still get that one.

DreamKeella said:
JJ Machados book was good, didn't that have Kid?

Haven't read that one, I guess I should say any of the Kid books with the 1-103 or something around there technique layout.

i have been thinking of picking up a book for a little while now..thanks threadstarter and those who made recomendations

Back