Advice on Building a Routine

TheLeftHandPath**

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So I am a bit slow on understanding Starting Strength, but I get the concept.

My Concern is how to shape my workout and understanding / figuring out my max and how much (% wise) I should be pushing..

Mon

- Squat 5x5
- ???
- ???

Misc add-on workout
- (Either Push up, Pull up, Chin up)
- (Sit up, Planks, Bicycle/Scissor Kick)

Wed

- Front Squat 5x5
- ???
- ???

Misc add-on workout (Won't repeat same one from Mon)

Fri

- ???
- ???
- Deadlift 1x5

Misc add-on workout (Won't repeat same one from Mon/Wed)

===========

Choices to fill in

Back Squat
Front Squat
Deadlift
Bench Press
Weighted Press (aka OHP/Military)
Bentover Row (overhand grip)
Bentover Row (underhand grip)

==================================

Lastly how do I learn / figure out what my max is.
I've been hitting the gym but I kept my

Squats / Deadlift at 135 lbs
Presses at 85 lbs
Rows at 35 lbs
Front Squat at 95 lbs

for awhile - never really pushing as I always felt a bit sore the next day.. and my job has my legs working out a lot too - constantly Deadlifting 50 lbs and going up and down a lot of stairs while lifting 50-75 lbs.

I do want to strengthen my core and gain some mass on my calves and arms/forearm.. they are pretty puny... I am not asking for Hulk Hogan pythons here or a cro cop leg.
My body frame is similar to the Diaz brothers.

I'd appreciate any advice and what to fill in on those ??? blanks.

Honestly if you're just starting, you don't really need to plan it out in too much detail. It should get more specific once you get going. Throw some snatches in there and some presses. Mix pushes and pulls cause even the shit you don't want to work help the thing you do. You'll need a spotter to get you max or one of those bars that hooks into a groove.

Well, there is more to it which I didn't explain myself. Aswell as forgetting to mention Bill Starr program.. so im mixing both principle - their layout has no intrest for me..

I am not interested nor confident to mess with Power cleans, nor have a gym buddy to spot me. Same with incline/decline bench press - atleast not yet. Or ramping weights.

Keep it simple. Each time you go to the gym, first start with squats, dont bastardize them on a smith machine or any shit either, then do a press, then do deadlifts or chin ups depending on the day. For squats, do 4-5 warm up sets- like a set of 5 with the bar, a set of five with 75lbs, a set of 3 with 95lbs, a set of 2 with 115 lbs, then on to your working weight of 135. If 135 is too easy, rest a few minutes then add 5-10lbs and do another set. Keep doing that until the bar speed slows down on any of the reps, or you find it difficult to maintain proper form (knees out, proper depth, shoulder blades tight, proper back angle, etc). If 135 is too heavy and slows down or form breaks down, take weight off until reps are smooth and technically correct. That is your starting weight. Next time you go to the gym, do 3 sets of 5 reps with that weight, then the next time in the gym after that, add 5lbs and do 3 sets of 5. Just keep adding 5lbs to your 3 sets of 5 every workout. The same procedure for find your starting weight goes for standing overhead press, bench press, and deadlift, except with deadlift you only do 1 set of 5, and add 10lbs every deadlift session. Just deadlift every wednesday, and do 3 sets of chin ups for maximum reps on monday and friday. You alternate bench and standing overhead press each work out. Thats an official template in the book and on the website, and doesnt call for any power cleans. If you're honest with your starting weight, you shouldnt have reps slowing down putting your in danger of failing a rep, thus eliminating the need for a spotter.

A sample of the overall program based on the number you gave would be:

Week 1:
Monday:
Squat 135 3x5
Overhead press 85 3x5
Chins 3xfailure

Wednesday:
Squat 140 3x5
Bench press 115? 3x5
Deadlift 135 1x5

Friday:
Squat 145 3x5
Overhead press 90 3x5
Chins 3xfailure

Week 2:
Monday:
Squat 150 3x5
Bench press 120 3x5
Chins 3xfailure

Wednesday:
Squat 155 3x5
Overhead press 95 3x5
Deadlift 145 1x5

Friday:
Squat 160 3x5
Bench press 125 3x5
Chins 3xfailure

Etc... Keep adding 5 lbs each session

If you havent already done that program or cant follow that for some reason, you shouldnt be making your own program or combining programs. If you dont understand something, look at the wiki linked earlier.

Just fill in all those question marks with squats. Do a calf raise now and then.

Oh, and read the FAQ a few more times.

Thanks ssdd - I do want to add front squats, bent over row or T-rows
Would it be a bad idea adding the Row on Wed w/ my Deadlift session?
Should I alternate front squat or pick a day to do double squats? (front/back)

Edit - how is this - still doesn't have front squat - not sure if I want to Alternate, or do it once a week, like on a WED w/ Deadlift or have Fri do both Front and Back Squat since I will have a 3day rest afterwards.

Week 1:
Monday:
Squat 135 3x5
Overhead press 85 3x5
Row 3x5

Chins 3xfailure
Sit up 3xfailure

Wednesday: (Front Squat)
Squat 140 3x5
Bench press 115? 3x5
Deadlift 135 1x5

Plank
Push Up 3x failure

Friday:
Squat 145 3x5
Overhead press 90 3x5
Row 3x5

Pull up 3xfailure
reverse plank

Week 2:
Monday:
Squat 150 3x5
Bench press 120 3x5
Row 3x5

Chins 3xfailure
Sit up 3xfailure

Wednesday:
Squat 155 3x5
Overhead press 95 3x5
Deadlift 145 1x5

Plank
Push Up 3x failure

Friday:
Squat 160 3x5
Bench press 125 3x5
Row 3x5

Pull up 3xfailure
reverse plank

Last edited:
Use a Bill Starr type template to make the additions you suggested:

Squat
Bench or Press
Row

Deadlift
Press or Bench
Front Squat

Squat
Bench or Press
Chin-Ups

This is also very similar to Mark Rippetoe's intermediate program, which has you Deadlifting once per week, with Chin-ups in its place the other days.

The Rippetoe version will have you alternating Bench and Press - in other words doing each lift 3x per fortnight. Conversely, Starr's version has you Benching every Monday and Friday, and Pressing every Wednesday. So bench 4x and Press 2x per fortnight.

You could also do the reverse - Pressing x 4 and Benching x 2, if you decided you wanted to focus more on the Press.

Personally I like this template more than SS - and it transitions well to Madcow and Texas Method, which are the typically suggested follow-up programs once you stall with SS anyway.

Edit: Here is a link to some of the programs: http://oldschooltrainer.com/bill-starrs-5-x-5-training/

I can't speak to their authenticity. Some may be bastardised versions or hearsay. Lol. Nevertheless, they all seem like a solid way of making gains.

You obviously know more about planning a lifting routine than Mark Rippetoe, so why are you asking us for help?

Just do the fucking routine as written.

Back