Advice for my mom....

B

Brand Nizzle

What's going on guys?

I need some advice regarding my mom. I wouldn't even consider her fat, she's probably a few pounds overweight, no biggie. But she is always buying those stupid "weight loss pills" to lose weight. I opened the cabinent and there was like bottles of Stacker 2 and Hydroxycut and shit like that. I found she ordered appetite surpressor pills online too which isn't good. I always tell her that she doesn't need it, and it probably does her more harm than good, and to just work out and diet and she'll lose the weight. However she got in a car accident years ago and had surgery on both of her knees and they still bother her so she is unable to really exercise.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone has any advice or any exercises I could give my mom that wouldn't hurt her knees at all or something? I know that doesn't leave much but I can't really think of anything besides push ups and sit ups which aren't even really cardiovascular. Thanks!

Swimming would probably be a good option.

She could get one of those floatation belts for water walking and that'd give a good workout and probably even help the knees.

Or she could just swim. There are little floats available that you can put inbetween our legs just to practice your stroke with your arms. Thats only necessary if it hurts her to flutter kick. It might not even be a problem, since there isn't the conventional walking/running weight on the knees....just resistance on the muscles and connective tissues.

She'll probably want to walk sometime. I've never had knee surgery so I don't know what kind of pain/recovery is involved. But eventually she'll wanna start moving when its healthy to do so.

I find the elliptical machine is pretty easy on me. I'm pretty overweight, so if its not hurting my knees she might have a pretty good shot.

A stationary bike might also take enough weight off the knees to allow exercise.

Its never to late to start eating healthy stuff either. I've had pretty good results just with eating healthy high fiber foods. Basically if you've spent any time at all on the diet subforum you aught have a good idea what this means...if not you might pop in there and get some ideas to pass along to you mom.

The best thing to me is that these kinds of foods tend to fill you up faster and leave you more satisfied then all the crap foods I was eating before. It's hard to overeat healthy foods.

I thought Hydroxycut worked?

Pilates/those rubberball exercise routines/core type stuff...yea but just to let you know Nizzle, unfortunatley this is the norm for women today, just about all women have issues with their weight and most never get over it. My mom has been on all sorts of diets over the years and now does the atkins/protien thing. Just tell her you love her and be supportive and focus on your own life. As tragic as it is noone can carry someone else's burden so don't let yourself feel too bad about it...

Swimming and eating right m8 . Tell her unless she is eating and training the things she is buying is just gonna lose her money not weight .

5 small meals a day . No carbs 4 hours before bed . No sat fats no sugar

IronMikeTyson69 said:
Swimming and eating right m8 . Tell her unless she is eating and training the things she is buying is just gonna lose her money not weight .

5 small meals a day . No carbs 4 hours before bed . No sat fats no sugar

Good advice but like the saying says you can only lead a horse to water you can't make him drink...women are especially hard headed when it comes to taking advice or learning about proper diet and training...they want to lose the weight now and don't want to do it right...if you can convince her to see a nutritionist once a week and maybe get a personal trainer...

Sohei said:
I thought Hydroxycut worked?

Hydroxycut and similar weight loss drugs are intended to be used in conjunction with a solid diet and exercise program. They are effective under those conditions. With either of the other two elements missing in a weight loss program, the body will suffer.

Back