Adrenaline dump?

lucid

FTW-champ!
Reaction score
I remember hearing this phrase while watching a boxing match, when the fighter had just seemed to lose all his energy early into the fight after coming in all pumped up.

Once me and a handful of mates were doing security at a party, and we ended up with a few dozen teenagers trying to start a riot, anyway the fight ensued, i had adrenaline pumping in me for the last hour or two while trying to control these people, but when the big fight started, while i was running in the help my friend, i suddenly felt like gravity was pulling me into the ground, like i was walking in glue, this had me very worried for the half second this happened, but i managed to pull myself out of it and got in there to help my mate.

Has this every happened to anyone of you? It really kind of worries me to have this happen again, maybe I just got a bit scared, i did think we we're going to get absolutley fucked up.

It's happened to just about everyone that's ever fought. In my first ever competition I felt EXACTLY like that and needless to say, I lost.

Hmm also, this was the first time i've ever had to iniatiate combat, in every previous fight ive been in, it's only been a reaction i havent had to think about, say when someone tries to grab or punch me. This situation I had to mentally tell myself to get in there and hit these people on my mate, this thought process took up that split second where I felt like I was stuck in glue. I supose its the same in the ring, it's not like ur at a pub and someone swings at you and you react, you have to conciously tell yourself to fight this guy from the moment the bell rings. Thoughts?

bump, anyone else have any thoughts on the matter?

They say the intial burst of adrenline only last around 30 seconds, what you desricbed is a pretty common occurence for people fighting who haven't really been in a fight or two many fights.

With experience you will be able to handle the adreniline better.

Adrenaline works exactly like a turbo does on a car. let me give you a few examples if someone tells you that a guy is after you and is going to sort you out next time he sees you. You get a slow release of adrenaline over a couple of days or so. The other kind of adrenaline is when you have a pre fight adrenaline rush or an in fight rush which some people mistake for fear but its not its your bodys way of saying i need to move quicker and faster exactly like a cars turbo. But like all turbos it burns out very fast.The last one is the dreaded adrenaline dump or fight or flight syndrome example guy comes up to you in a bar and for no apprent reason gets in your face and says what the FUCK is your problem.Frist your body says shit im in trouble and i need adrenaline quick and dumps you full of it causing some people to freeze or like there legs wont move and stuck in glue.Learn to control the dump act cool breath slow and calm and the feeling in your legs will go. Remember hes feeling the same too just hes hiding and controling his dump better.

Thanks guys, i have a better understanding now. :)

I think it's just a mental barrier. Just say to yourself, FUK THIS U PUSSY, GET MOVING!@#!@

rah1 said:
I think it's just a mental barrier. Just say to yourself, FUK THIS U PUSSY, GET MOVING!@#!@
Perhaps. But once the fight or flight response has kicked in your in trouble and even though you may be talking yourself down the body might not agree...
a few comments;
Experience will desensitize you to the situration so that you will not be overwelhmed by the situation next time. I mean really is there any learning method better than experience? Thats why street fights are so hard to prepare for...

Mental imagery can help prepare you.

Believe it or not the best MMA class i ever took was...an acting class...learning how to control you breathing, how to relax yourself, getting in touch with your body...how to read the rythm of the situation...how to draw on your imagination to deal with new situations...sounds alittle gay but acting and martial arts are closely related in terms of self development.

Back