Adesanya's Last Three Opponents: 5-8-2 Record Over Past Five Fights

Wow ok... just be honest and say you don't like him. Don't try to convince everyone else who enjoy watching his fights that he isn't an entertaining fighter with amazing potential. It makes you come off as someone who is reaching into the stupid to make a bad point.
I'm a huge fan of Adesanya lol And was excited and loved the fight saturday. What the hell are you talking about.

I can be a fan of someone, but also think they are being very over hyped and overrated at this point. He may one day earn all this praise, but he hasnt yet.

Just as a comparison. Israel has won his first 6 UFC fights, with 2 by stoppage. Anderson won his first 16 UFC fights, with 14 by stoppage. JDS won his first 9 with 7 by stoppage. Conor won his first 7, with 5 by stoppage.

The truth is, the UFC badly needs stars right now.

Well, if you’re going to go through all that work of looking up his past 3 opponents and their 15 fights, you might as well find us another interim champ/contender with a much better ratio of opponents and records for us to compare.

Otherwise, Izzy is still very impressive.
Sure, Covington's three most recent opponents had a combined record of 11-4 in their last 15 (including RDA's loss to Covington itself) and a combined record of 16-5 in their previous seven fights when Covington won the interim belt.

AND their wins were better, including guys like Lawler, Magny, Cerrone, Masvidal, Condit (plus Gunner Nelson and Burkman). Israel's opponents' best wins were guys like old Machida, Daniel Kelly, Uriah Hall, and Jotko. Entirely different tiers of competition. Israel may be the best MW in the world (who knows yet), but he had an objectively easier road to the title. I don't see how it's even debatable.

Last edited:
This would have been relevant pre-fight with KG. He's got the belt now. He had a fortunate run to the top, but freaking out about it is silly considering the divisional depth. One way or the other, Izzy will be put through the paces. His fight for the interim was great and he proved himself worthy of respect.

Not the hardest road to the title but not like he was gifted it.

That said he needs to get by at least 3 of the following to even be considered in the Silva realm

Whitaker
Yoel
Paulo
Wiedman
Souza

lol ok More like the UFC and fans are working very hard to hype him. He's won his first 6 fights in the UFC. Which is great. But he's a striker with a huge reach and height advantage over his opponents. And he only has 2 knockouts in his first 6 fights.

Go look at other UFC fighters who have won their first 6 fights. But not gotten the push he has.
Yes. New talented fighters who burst on the scene will attract a certain amount of attention, even more so for those who are able to market themselves to increase their status.

So your main points are that

A) Israel is being hyped (already addressed)
B) he is tall with long reach
C) He has 2 KOs in 6 UFC fights

Well....

B) until the UFC switches to height (or reach) classes his height is irrelevant. He uses his physical attributes to his advantage as athletes have for as long as there have been athletic competitions

C) he has 2 KOs in 6 fights... so?

A bout under the Unified Rules of MMA can be won vie knockout (tko), submission, decision or DQ.
I love finishes as much if not more than the next guy, but especially at the highest levels, fighters are durable and adept at defending themselves; furthermore going for a finish can leave a fighter tired and can lead to openings for counters for the opponent. A win is a win. Finishes are great but not required. I do value a finish win higher than a decision in some cases, but it isn't always going to go that way.

Israel dropped Kelvin 4x I believe, maybe more, Kelvin had only been dropped ONCE in his entire UFC career prior to last weekend. And the fight could have been called in the end of the 5th without controversy, Kelvin was badly hurt and dropped multiple times in rapid succession but he got the benefit of the doubt because he is a warrior and was less then a minute from the final bell.

True but he just beat Kelvin who I would argue is top 2-4 in the division.

I for one am utterly shocked that an undefeated fighter's opponents' number of losses went up after losing to him.

Yes. New talented fighters who burst on the scene will attract a certain amount of attention, even more so for those who are able to market themselves to increase their status.

So your main points are that

A) Israel is being hyped (already addressed)
B) he is tall with long reach
C) He has 2 KOs in 6 UFC fights

Well....

B) until the UFC switches to height (or reach) classes his height is irrelevant. He uses his physical attributes to his advantage as athletes have for as long as there have been athletic competitions

C) he has 2 KOs in 6 fights... so?

A bout under the Unified Rules of MMA can be won vie knockout (tko), submission, decision or DQ.
I love finishes as much if not more than the next guy, but especially at the highest levels, fighters are durable and adept at defending themselves; furthermore going for a finish can leave a fighter tired and can lead to openings for counters for the opponent. A win is a win. Finishes are great but not required. I do value a finish win higher than a decision in some cases, but it isn't always going to go that way.

Israel dropped Kelvin 4x I believe, maybe more, Kelvin had only been dropped ONCE in his entire UFC career prior to last weekend. And the fight could have been called in the end of the 5th without controversy, Kelvin was badly hurt and dropped multiple times in rapid succession but he got the benefit of the doubt because he is a warrior and was less then a minute from the final bell.
People are so sensitive. All I said was he's being overhyped.

Maybe I should've elaborated more. One reason being is that he is a very exciting and dynamic striker. Another is that he is good on the mic and on social media. And lastly, it's because the UFC NEEDS stars right now.

I don't think it's necessarily a knock against Israel to say this.

But the truth is, other fighters have come into the UFC performing better than him, and not gotten the same level of hype. That's a fact.

If you look at the past five fights of each of Adesanya's last three opponents, that is their combined record.

I'm not cherry-picking: if you take each fighter's past seven fights, that record is a similarly unimpressive 8-11-2.

To earn the interim title shot, Adesanya beat two fighters who combined to go 1-5-1 and 2-4 in their previous fights. And one of the three combined wins was because the two fought each other.

Prior to those fights, Adesanya fought Brad Tavarez and Marvin Vettori.

None of this is to say that Gastellum isn't a good fighter; he is. But UFC must really think this guy can be a star. Will they continue to give him good matchups, and how long can he be propped up before he loses?

He's been protected by Dana let's be honest.. Most unbiased people see it..

Silva/Brunson are barely top 10.. Gastelum beat Jacare (debatable decision) and lost to Wiedman (who lost 4 of his last 5)..

Not buying on Israel at all.. I think he losses to Whitakker.. but even Rob is a more favourable fight.. then say a Romero.. Jacare or Rockhold

Did he earn a title shot? Absolutely not. The UFC clearly guided him to a title shot. I don't think anyone would argue otherwise. But he just had an epic fight against Kelvin, and he has to fight Whittaker next. If the UFC gives Jacare his shot (assuming he beats Hermansson), all will be right with the division by the end of the year.

If you look at the past five fights of each of Adesanya's last three opponents, that is their combined record.

I'm not cherry-picking: if you take each fighter's past seven fights, that record is a similarly unimpressive 8-11-2.

To earn the interim title shot, Adesanya beat two fighters who combined to go 1-5-1 and 2-4 in their previous fights. And one of the three combined wins was because the two fought each other.

Prior to those fights, Adesanya fought Brad Tavarez and Marvin Vettori.

None of this is to say that Gastellum isn't a good fighter; he is. But UFC must really think this guy can be a star. Will they continue to give him good matchups, and how long can he be propped up before he loses?

Middleweight is a division in which the top guys have mostly matured and fought one another. It’s not like welterweight where you had Till, Covington, Usman (and now Askren) coming up, all undefeated or on long winning streaks.

It’s funny that you pointed that one of the wins was because two guys fought each other. Yea, that’s one of the losses too. When top fighters are fighting top fighters there will be exactly as many wins as losses.

If Romero and Whittaker fight 10 times in row and then Adensanya beats them both, he’ll have beaten two guys who are a combined 10-10 in their last ten fights each.

Romero, Rockhold, Weidman and Jacare are a combined 5-7 in their last three fights each. That’s the way it goes at the top.

The only people who get to have great records are the dominant champions and really talented guys on their way up.

Did he earn a title shot? Absolutely not. The UFC clearly guided him to a title shot. I don't think anyone would argue otherwise. But he just had an epic fight against Kelvin, and he has to fight Whittaker next. If the UFC gives Jacare his shot (assuming he beats Hermansson), all will be right with the division by the end of the year.

The only problem was the Anderson Silva fight. If that’s Weidman, Rockhold, Jacare or Romero everything would have been perfectly on schedule.

I'm a huge fan of Adesanya lol And was excited and loved the fight saturday. What the hell are you talking about.

I can be a fan of someone, but also think they are being very over hyped and overrated at this point. He may one day earn all this praise, but he hasnt yet.

Just as a comparison. Israel has won his first 6 UFC fights, with 2 by stoppage. Anderson won his first 16 UFC fights, with 14 by stoppage. JDS won his first 9 with 7 by stoppage. Conor won his first 7, with 5 by stoppage.

The truth is, the UFC badly needs stars right now.

Well you need to work on your writing skills because it doesn't come off that way. And also you are missing some key points that render your argument stupid. You can't compare apples to oranges and come off looking clever.

Anderson was 31 for his first UFC fight, and was the champ of another org. Israel is currently only 29. Anderson's career was always MMA, Israel transitioned from kickboxing.

JDS fights at heavyweight where talent is more shallow and KOs are more common.

Which leaves your argument down to "Conor's record was better therefor Israel is overhyped" ... which on it's face just sounds stupid, and again Israel is younger and came from another sport so has less xp.

Can you not see the progression and potential in a fighter who, for 1 example, got taken down and held by lesser tiered fighter, who then 4 fights and 1 year later a top tiered fighter like Kelvin can't secure and hold a take down against him. There is a reason people who understand the sport are excited about Israel. You are making no compelling arguments that they are misguided in that excitement.

Well you need to work on your writing skills .
Ok. Sherdogger. I hate to think I made you all triggered for no reason lol

giphy.gif

Well you need to work on your writing skills because it doesn't come off that way. And also you are missing some key points that render your argument stupid. You can't compare apples to oranges and come off looking clever.

Anderson was 31 for his first UFC fight, and was the champ of another org. Israel is currently only 29. Anderson's career was always MMA, Israel transitioned from kickboxing.

JDS fights at heavyweight where talent is more shallow and KOs are more common.

Which leaves your argument down to "Conor's record was better therefor Israel is overhyped" ... which on it's face just sounds stupid, and again Israel is younger and came from another sport so has less xp.

Can you not see the progression and potential in a fighter who, for 1 example, got taken down and held by lesser tiered fighter, who then 4 fights and 1 year later a top tiered fighter like Kelvin can't secure and hold a take down against him. There is a reason people who understand the sport are excited about Israel. You are making no compelling arguments that they are misguided in that excitement.
Jesus, you are really fighting hard to convince yourself that Adesanya is NOT being overrated. Fine. Believe what you want. He's lucky to have fans like you. Decision wins over a washed up Anderson and Kelvin, surely makes him the future GOAT.

I mostly wanted to present the information. Sometimes that is its own purpose.

If you're asking my opinion, I think the Gastellum win was impressive. I think Gastellum is very good. I'm not sure Adesanya really earned the fight with Gastellum in the first place. Of course he won, but the end doesn't always justify the means. It was Israel's first fight against an elite fighter, and I think he managed to jump a lot of guys to get the opportunity at the interim belt. Typically, you'd expect a guy ranked in the top 10-15 to have to beat at least one guy like Jacare, Weidman, Rockhold before you give him a title eliminator and put him in there with the #1 contender or Romero.

I think the UFC let him skip at least one fight because of business considerations. That's a part of this game, unfortunately, but I think the fans should show they are more willing to pay for the fights that need to happen than for the latest guy getting a promotional push.

That is a fair point. But it doesn't make him overhyped, maybe just undeserving in your eyes.

Jesus, you are really fighting hard to convince yourself that Adesanya is NOT being overrated. Fine. Believe what you want. He's lucky to have fans like you. Decision wins over a washed up Anderson and Kelvin, surely makes him the future GOAT.

Well you have made no compelling arguments to convince me otherwise. If you don't enjoy his fights, then I don't think you are really a fan of MMA. He is exciting, and talented.

People are so sensitive. All I said was he's being overhyped.

Maybe I should've elaborated more. One reason being is that he is a very exciting and dynamic striker. Another is that he is good on the mic and on social media. And lastly, it's because the UFC NEEDS stars right now.

I don't think it's necessarily a knock against Israel to say this.

But the truth is, other fighters have come into the UFC performing better than him, and not gotten the same level of hype. That's a fact.
That's how combat sports work though. The flashy exciting fighters with highlight reels who can deliver sound bytes get more attention. What about the situation would you expect to play out differently?

Israel and Conor, active standup fighters who talk and are active on social media (even guys like Mike Perry or MVP get lots of attention and main event slots) are going to get a much more direct path to the top than quiet grapplers like a Jon Fitch or even worse a non English speaker like Jacare. It isn't fair but it is how it has been for a long time.

I don't see how the hype Israel is getting is out of proportion if you factor in the circumstances.

Well you have made no compelling arguments to convince me otherwise. If you don't enjoy his fights, then I don't think you are really a fan of MMA. He is exciting, and talented.
When have I ever say I don't enjoy his fights? I enjoy Zabit's fights too. And in my opinion Zabit has been much more impressive than Israel.

And what are you a fucking attorney? Compelling arguments? It's an opinion. You either think he deserves the level of hype he's getting, or you don't. I honestly think that his personality and UFC's need for stars has given him more of a push.

Back