Adesanya's Last Three Opponents: 5-8-2 Record Over Past Five Fights

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by The Bard, Apr 18, 2019.

1. The Bard

The Bard Brown Belt

If you look at the past five fights of each of Adesanya's last three opponents, that is their combined record.

I'm not cherry-picking: if you take each fighter's past seven fights, that record is a similarly unimpressive 8-11-2.

To earn the interim title shot, Adesanya beat two fighters who combined to go 1-5-1 and 2-4 in their previous fights. And one of the three combined wins was because the two fought each other.

Prior to those fights, Adesanya fought Brad Tavarez and Marvin Vettori.

None of this is to say that Gastellum isn't a good fighter; he is. But UFC must really think this guy can be a star. Will they continue to give him good matchups, and how long can he be propped up before he loses?

2. DatSamboKid

DatSamboKid Black Belt

3. XRedStaRx

XRedStaRx Genetically superior

Great thread, he will run through Weaper.

4. Klaavical

Klaavical Black Belt

You're right he sucks

5. jeff7b9

jeff7b9 Silver Belt

People are working hard to discredit Israel.

6. Arm Barbarian

Arm Barbarian Titanium Belt Platinum Member

I'm not sold on him being a GOAT or anything, but that Gastelum fight was fire.

He definitely has potential.

7. Zanmato

Zanmato Black Belt

He has had performance of the night in 5 out of 6 fights beating an increasing level of competition. He has beaten both good strikers and good wrestlers, and recently won an interim title. He has never ducked anyone. Judge away from your couch but that guy is doing everything right and becoming a great success

8. Workaholic

Workaholic Silver Belt

We could dive deep into this and fully get into why it's dumb but since I'm pretty sure you're trolling there's no reason to

To keep it simple, no matter what you think about his run through the division, Kelvin was the #1 contender and he just beat him. On the basis of that alone, he's earned his shot

9. DeathStroke

DeathStroke Green Belt

This. Most of us aren't calling him the GOAT. I think theres even a solid chance Whittaker beats him. But to say hes a can, or a total hype job is a little silly.

10. Zoolander

Zoolander Green Belt

Well said bro! I'm so sick & tired of everyone trying to discredit the man. Especially after a performance like last weekend smh. If he beats Whitaker I'm sure threads like this will still happen...

Zanmato, GoshiShun17 and jeff7b9 like this.
  11. sonhow

sonhow Silver Coin

Jacare last three opponents record over past 5 fights: 5-9-1

<Fedor23>

12. BoD 2.0

BoD 2.0 Yellow Card Yellow Card

lol ok More like the UFC and fans are working very hard to hype him. He's won his first 6 fights in the UFC. Which is great. But he's a striker with a huge reach and height advantage over his opponents. And he only has 2 knockouts in his first 6 fights.

Go look at other UFC fighters who have won their first 6 fights. But not gotten the push he has.

Beans & Cornbread likes this.
  13. jeff7b9

jeff7b9 Silver Belt

Sherdog has a hard time adjusting to new faces and letting go of aging heroes.

If a guy climbs the ranks quickly (even if he earns it through an active fight schedule) Sherdog implodes.

14. Amalgam

Amalgam White Belt

<{clintugh}>

15. EL Capitan

EL Capitan Brown Belt

Hes very fun to watch and his potential is still growing.

I agree with Whitakers assessment though, this guy is very hittable. This isnt the next coming of prime Anderson.

yookfarb and Beans & Cornbread like this.
  16. MMAfanboy4life

MMAfanboy4life Green Belt

Well, if you’re going to go through all that work of looking up his past 3 opponents and their 15 fights, you might as well find us another interim champ/contender with a much better ratio of opponents and records for us to compare.

Otherwise, Izzy is still very impressive.

17. Demaestro

Demaestro Brown Belt

So what are you saying exactly?

He doesn't deserve a title shot?

He is overhyped?

What do you mean by "propped up"? Are you suggesting he has had easy fights? I don't get what you are saying at all. Obviously the UFC thinks he can be a star. He is exciting to watch and not a moron when he is behind the mic. Do you disagree that he doesn't have star power?

Other than telling us that you can tally win/lose records what are you trying to say here?

kneesus likes this.
  18. Demaestro

Demaestro Brown Belt

Wow ok... just be honest and say you don't like him. Don't try to convince everyone else who enjoy watching his fights that he isn't an entertaining fighter with amazing potential. It makes you come off as someone who is reaching into the stupid to make a bad point.

19. The Bard

The Bard Brown Belt

I mostly wanted to present the information. Sometimes that is its own purpose.

If you're asking my opinion, I think the Gastellum win was impressive. I think Gastellum is very good. I'm not sure Adesanya really earned the fight with Gastellum in the first place. Of course he won, but the end doesn't always justify the means. It was Israel's first fight against an elite fighter, and I think he managed to jump a lot of guys to get the opportunity at the interim belt. Typically, you'd expect a guy ranked in the top 10-15 to have to beat at least one guy like Jacare, Weidman, Rockhold before you give him a title eliminator and put him in there with the #1 contender or Romero.

I think the UFC let him skip at least one fight because of business considerations. That's a part of this game, unfortunately, but I think the fans should show they are more willing to pay for the fights that need to happen than for the latest guy getting a promotional push.

20. MirRocksFedor

MirRocksFedor Brown Belt

Numbers dont lie and never tell the whole story.

Truth is Anderson also took DC to a decision o a few days notice.

However I agree its interesting hes champ after missing Jacare Weidman Yoel and Rockhold

HaulParris likes this.