Adding Strongman

Technick

White Belt
Reaction score
I would like to lie and say I did an exhaustive search, but I didn't. I quickly searched and found benefits of adding strongman event training to current your powerlifting, but no real application/template recommended.

I currently train 3 times per week (5/3/1 full body template), and would like to add a strongman day or two per week.

looking for suggestions from those with strongman knowledge on how/what to do on my 1 day (or 2) per week of strongman training. Thanks in advance.

I should be able to aquire/make some of the basics (concrete atlas stones, farmers walk handles, tires, etc.). I'm just curious as to which implements my time/money would be best spent on; and then how to train with them.

I'd go hit up Marunde Muscle forum if you're interested in strongman.

What exactly do you want out of strongman training? Do you want to compete at strongman? Use it as assistance for the powerlifts? GPP?

Tosa,
I would like to initially use it as assistance to the main lifts (powerlifting) and for something new. My goal would to be to compete in strongman and maybe highland at some point. I have never done a powerlifting comp, and will probably start there. I also probably only meet the minimum requirements for beginning strongman training as I do not possess anywhere close to a bodyweight press, but my squat and deadlift are starting to come along (squat is my focus).

TF: I have been to that site some good info there also, thanks.

ive done strongman a few times and this is the template i used
two week split
first week in the gym
second week strongman

week 1

monday
deadlift
front squat
good mornings
grip work

wednesday
clean and press
incline dumbell press
dips
rows
pullups

friday
squat
rack deadlift
lunges
ab work

week 2

monday
tires for reps and singles
farmers walk

wednesday
log lift
keg lifts

friday
truck pulls
loading races

it helped that quite a few of the guys from my gym where all running the same routine for a competition so we banded together for equipment
the idea of a 2 week split was from an old article by jouko ahola

Tosa,
I would like to initially use it as assistance to the main lifts (powerlifting) and for something new. My goal would to be to compete in strongman and maybe highland at some point. I have never done a powerlifting comp, and will probably start there. I also probably only meet the minimum requirements for beginning strongman training as I do not possess anywhere close to a bodyweight press, but my squat and deadlift are starting to come along (squat is my focus).

TF: I have been to that site some good info there also, thanks.

You certainly can use strongman exercises as assistance for powerlifting, but keep in mind that deliberately choosing strongman exercises may mean not doing something that could be more optimal. Some of the following I haven't tried, and I don't regularly use strongman type exercises in my training, but I can talk about what I've read and observed at my gym.

Atlas Stones, for strengthening the back.
Farmer's walks, for grip, abs, and traps/upper back.
Log or fat bar presses, obviously as pressing assistance.
Prowler sprints and sled drags for conditioning.

Since it's assistance, the focus is usually on volume, so most of the time the intensity is medium. Typically done at the end of the workout, or on a day where strongman and some high intensity conditioning work is done, although the presses can fit in wherever. I've seen other stuff done, but that's what I've seen done with any consistency.

Anyway, this is just some suggestions of what you could try, or maybe to give you ideas. I'm not recommending this as right or wrong.

I would like to lie and say I did an exhaustive search, but I didn't. I quickly searched and found benefits of adding strongman event training to current your powerlifting, but no real application/template recommended.

I currently train 3 times per week (5/3/1 full body template), and would like to add a strongman day or two per week.

looking for suggestions from those with strongman knowledge on how/what to do on my 1 day (or 2) per week of strongman training. Thanks in advance.

My suggestion, would be to stick with 5/3/1 and put 90% of your energy into the 4 main barbell lifts. Train the most popular strongman events after the 5/3/1 work and treat it like easy GPP.

Squat - yoke/sandbag carry

Dead lift - stones/farmers walk

Overhead press - you can use an axle, or a log instead of a barbell

Bench - after 5/3/1 bench get some overhead volume in with an axle or log

Personally, I think strongman training is a little over hyped. I've read a lot of articles claiming it will put lbs on your squat n DL etc. But it's really the other way around. Put most of your energy into the barbell lifts, and you'll be good for strongman.

Back