• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ADCC 2019 participants so far (thread will be updated with invitees and trials winners)

Men -88kg
1st European Trials Winner: Adam Wardzinski (Poland)
1st North American Trials Winner: Alec Baulding (USA)
2nd North American Trials Winner: Josh Hinger (USA)
Invited: Xande Ribeiro
Invited: Kit Dale
Invited: Rustam Chsiev
Invited: Craig Jones
Invited: Keenan Cornelius
Invited: Murilo Santana
Invited: Mike Perez

I'm surprised they have 3 Atos guys for one weight class. I imagine Keenan, Hinger, and Perez will be 3/4 in one corner of the bracket. And I don't know why but I'd bet anything that they'll put Craig Jones or maybe Murilo Santana as the 4th man in that corner.

66 is looking good. Shane Jamil Hill is more of a Gi guy but he should still very be tough, he has plenty of time to gameplan.
Hopefully he's been wrestling.

66 is looking good. Shane Jamil Hill is more of a Gi guy but he should still very be tough, he has plenty of time to gameplan.
There’s a video of him on Flo rolling no gi and he looked really slick on there.

I'm gonna say some crazy shit and say I think Cobrinha takes Nicky's back but doesn't get the choke actually. Unless he's worked the straitjacket style back attacks I think the more conventional over-arm side RNC attacks are just not going to work that well against someone that's got hundreds if not thousands of hours spent on under-arm side RNC offense and defense.

Cobrinha may have switched but at least in 2017 he seemed to be following the format of over-arm = RNC and under-arm = armbar formula.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Cobrinha subs Nicky but I will be surprised if he back chokes him. Which probably makes me sound really dumb because that's Cobrinha's best sub.

I think you're right on the issues of reps. Nicky's defense is likely insane.

What did you think of Nicky's highlight from the trials? You mentioned the straight jacket system those guys are known for but in that video I see Nicky emphasizing the body triangle rather than trapping an arm with his leg. In the last match, he chairsits right into the arm trap but doesn't seem worried when dude wriggles out.

Is the system more about weak side attacks overall than always trapping that arm? Obviously Nicky had no trouble getting the choke even when guys had both hands to defend.

I know you've followed these developments pretty closely so I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

I think you're right on the issues of reps. Nicky's defense is likely insane.

What did you think of Nicky's highlight from the trials? You mentioned the straight jacket system those guys are known for but in that video I see Nicky emphasizing the body triangle rather than trapping an arm with his leg. In the last match, he chairsits right into the arm trap but doesn't seem worried when dude wriggles out.

Is the system more about weak side attacks overall than always trapping that arm? Obviously Nicky had no trouble getting the choke even when guys had both hands to defend.

I know you've followed these developments pretty closely so I'm interested to hear your thoughts.
Hey dude!

Awesome highlight. I wish it had some better angles. I'm happy to give some thoughts on their back stuff and thanks for even being interested in my thoughts.

From the DVD and the matches I've watched it seems like they focus most heavily on getting to the weak-side and throwing in the body triangle. And keeping the head between the opponent’s head and the floor. From there they start to handfight and have a progression of grips that have a sort of hierarchy, with the infamous 'straitjacket' being the highest on the list:

But as long as you can get a hold of that top-wrist and get it below the line of their pecs then it should be pretty easy to use your top leg to trap it either inside the body triangle or trap it and put your shoelaces against their back

sddefault.jpg

But sometimes (and maybe it's just a personality or preference thing?) they will skip that gripfighting and throw the arm directly across the jaw and just choke right thru it. In the finals it looks like Nicky said fuck all the grip fighting and he just threw the arm across the face and went for it. I wonder if time was part of the reason? Nicky got the finish with less just about 30 seconds left in the match. Maybe he didn't have time to grip fight?

So a short answer is yes from what I can tell they put more emphasis on weak-side and body triangle than trapping an arm. Although I think they like to trap one if possible.

Wow. That’s a fun lineup of competitors.

On the other hand, somebody mentioned Orlando Sanchez. I don’t see him on there. Does he still compete?

Hey dude!

Awesome highlight. I wish it had some better angles. I'm happy to give some thoughts on their back stuff and thanks for even being interested in my thoughts.

From the DVD and the matches I've watched it seems like they focus most heavily on getting to the weak-side and throwing in the body triangle. And keeping the head between the opponent’s head and the floor. From there they start to handfight and have a progression of grips that have a sort of hierarchy, with the infamous 'straitjacket' being the highest on the list:

But as long as you can get a hold of that top-wrist and get it below the line of their pecs then it should be pretty easy to use your top leg to trap it either inside the body triangle or trap it and put your shoelaces against their back

sddefault.jpg

But sometimes (and maybe it's just a personality or preference thing?) they will skip that gripfighting and throw the arm directly across the jaw and just choke right thru it. In the finals it looks like Nicky said fuck all the grip fighting and he just threw the arm across the face and went for it. I wonder if time was part of the reason? Nicky got the finish with less just about 30 seconds left in the match. Maybe he didn't have time to grip fight?

So a short answer is yes from what I can tell they put more emphasis on weak-side and body triangle than trapping an arm. Although I think they like to trap one if possible.

Thanks, my guy! Just what I was hoping for.
Last question and we'll keep it ADCC.
What's your opinion on choking through the jaw? Braulio said it was a game changer for him. I'm starting to have some success with his approach. What say you, personally or from study?

I was thinking the same thing and went and looked at some of his no-gi matches. After watching them I think he'll be the darkhorse of that division. I don't think anyone besides Agusto Mendes can stop his wrestling. Its hard to say because all the matches I saw him in were against people who I didn't know and weren't really on his level. His attacks and technique looked very sharp and his wrestling and no-gi guard were much better than I thought they'd be.

I think Renato Canuto is the dark horse of his division too. His takedowns and explosive style might cause a lot of problems for people. Lepri stopped his take downs in the gi, but I don't know if he'll be able to do the same no-gi.

The only thing that makes me think they will lose is they don't have much experience with heelhooks and both of them can get too aggressive, so they might lose on points trying to sub someone. If they fight smart I think both will win, but I don't think either of them like to play it safe.

What's your opinion on choking through the jaw? Braulio said it was a game changer for him. I'm starting to have some success with his approach. What say you, personally or from study?
I like it man. I don’t just do it on everybody. I like to let people know ahead of time that I might work on it and that I’m not just trying to break their face. I haven’t had anybody get annoyed at me yet if I let them know ahead of time. I don’t know if you were anyone else has experienced this, but I have much better results when I can get their chin dead in the middle of the crook of my V (arm). The farther my choking Elbow comes towards myself, the more it seems to cross the face instead of choke. How about you?

Gordon has tapped a lot of his best opponents through the jaw. It's a game changing skill for sure because you take a super annoying part of the battle out.

Gordon has tapped a lot of his best opponents through the jaw. It's a game changing skill for sure because you take a super annoying part of the battle out.
And funny enough Pena tapped Ryan the same way. Damn near had his nose in there too.

I'm very interested to see how this Nick Rodriguez does. Apparently he'd been training BJJ for only 6 months before the trials. I've been told he has freakish natural ability and almost never makes the same mistake twice.

He is a freak of nature. Only 22 and smashing legit black belts after just a few months of BJJ training. WTF?!

I wonder how he will perform against the very top in the world, but I don't think he can repeat the success from the trials. That would be just too insane.

adcc1-1.jpg

nick_and_gordon_1024x1024.jpg

He is a freak of nature. Only 22 and smashing legit black belts after just a few months of BJJ training. WTF?!

I wonder how he will perform against the very top in the world, but I don't think he can repeat the success from the trials. That would be just too insane.

adcc1-1.jpg

I see him winning a match or maybe 2 depending on the bracket layout. If he's able to win a match in a dominant fashion I'd say that's a successful trip. He's in an absolute shark tank at +99 which is more stacked than usual already. Chances are since Nick is a trial winner he will be seeded to face off against one of the top seeds in his first match. He's the kind of guy that ADCC would likely have go up against Buchecha or Cybrorg in either his first or 2nd match. He's also a good dark horse pick for that division that could upset a top seed so who knows? He could have a Craig Jones in '17 type of year.

Anyone want to explain how AJ keeps showing up in these tournamnets, when all he does is talk shit and consistantly lose to people that aren't mediocre?

Anyone want to explain how AJ keeps showing up in these tournamnets, when all he does is talk shit and consistantly lose to people that aren't mediocre?
I'm not a big fan of AJ but he did the ADCC trials in 2015, the big event in 2015, got silver in the trials in 2017, and then made it to the finals against Cobrinha in 2017 at the big event. ADCC puts the most stock in people that make a habit out of competing in their events. AJ consistently does their events and is often a part of wild matches even if it's just because he's not tapping out to submissions.

I know he's pretty much disliked across the board but he doesn't suck and ADCC is a tough rule set to beat him in because it favors. He also has some equity in Flograppling (so I've heard from reliable sources) and I think he has some political connections to ADCC (as do a lot of other event regulars).

adcc1-1.jpg

Looking at the second picture makes me feel like I've just injected steroids.

Back