• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Acquiring Tastes

pugilistico

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I've heard you need to try something (food) six times or so before you start to get used to it and even start liking it. Kimchi and tempeh was like this for me. I didn't like tempeh the first time but now I love it.

Beer is another one albeit it's not food. When I first tried beer as a young man, I didn't understand why people drink it, but now I crave a cold beer here and there.

But not matter how many times I try licorice or durian, I can't get used to it. I can sort of tolerate durian now after having tried it multiple times, but I'd rather not have it again. Licorice I can't stand and I've tried to like it many times.

Is there food you tried multiples but still don't like?

Ikura (raw salmon egg sushi) was an acquired taste for me. The first time I could barely choke it down and now it’s my favourite. I’m in my 50’s and just now starting to appreciate olives.

Kimchi, I hate. I know that I should like it. I’ve had it in restaurants, grocery store versions and homemade but I can’t get used to it.

Sushi
Mustard
Relish
Meatloaf

Coconut but to its credit, coconut is proud, it stands tall and says I am coconut and I am ruining your fried shrip. Deal with it pallsy wallsy...

Not like those sneaky pieces of shit we call celery. They sneak into all kinds of yummy mayonaisey salads like, tuna, chicken, ham etc. It hunkers down in the depth of the lovely meat and mayo combo and then snipes you with its shitty taste. oh but it adds crunch, the snooty town fathers will tell you as they powdered their wigs and look down their pointy noses at you.

Well wtf said I wanted crunch?

Hulk Vomit.jpg

Wine. I just can't dig the taste, the aftertaste, the heart burn, the headaches. White, Red, Blends doesn't matter. Tastes like cat piss to me. I have been lucky in what I do for a living I get to use an expense card and eat and drink at the high-end places. No matter who orders the wine, I never care for it. And besides Gin, I like almost all other spirits.

Things I have acquired a taste for:
Mushrooms
Spinach
Shellfish
Sushi
Oysters

Man, I was thinking about this the other day. I’ve been craving spicy food the past year and I really wasn’t partial to it before that…..weird.

This is disgusting, better eat some more to see if it gets good...
Well, if I never tried again after my 10th grade girlfriend, there would have been plenty of disappointed ladies in my life over the years.

Coffee and beer were the two things I disliked the first time I had them.

Only tried cigarettes once and felt the same way. That might fall into the same category but I didn't want to get caught with a disgusting habit plus my dad died of lung cancer so I never tried again.

The first time I drank gin I was like, "this tastes like pine sol, yuck"

Now I'm like, "this tastes like pine sol, yumm!"

its a very long list for me, i wasnt into eating everything i came across as a young lad

Back