Accurate kanji symbol for jiu jitsu?

chi town tom

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
ive searched around and have found a bunch differnt symbols that are supposed to be jiu jitsu.
anyone know what the accurate symbol for jiu jitsu is?
thanks guys

This one in contemporary Jpnz.

Kanji-Jiu-Jitsu-2.gif

If you plan on getting it tattoo'ed on yourself, don't.

i wasnt planning on it, i just needed it for a school project.
i have thoguht about it tho, can i hear why you beleive i shouldnt? just curious

LOL, I was just thinking that I've just confirmed this guy's new tattoo.

i have thoguht about it tho, can i hear why you beleive i shouldnt? just curious

Some people think that getting a tattoo of a symbol that you cant read from a culture you dont understand is stupid, and even kind of disrespectful.

The jiu jitsu kanji doesnt bother me so much because it is a big part of a lot of peoples lives, and it is a japanese word that has a functional kanji.

Most kanji tats make my eyes bleed though.

Because some people think that once a bunch of people have something, it is no longer cool. Therefor if it's not cool, you shouldn't do it. I say fuck that. If you love jiu-jitsu there's nothing wrong tattooing it on your body. If you like the kanji, get at it. This guy probably changes his wardrobe every year based on what is now cool and burns any remnants of what he used to think was cool. I bet he had a big ass Tapout hoodie that he rocked all over till they became the "poser" MMA brand. Personally, I love jiu-jitsu and will get a jiu-jitsu tat one day (once I get some expendable cash).

it would be more appropriate to get something from the brazilian alphabet than Japanese kanji

it would be more appropriate to get something from the brazilian alphabet than Japanese kanji

I completely agree, why would you ask for the japanese kanji of Jiu-Jitsu, wouldn't you ask what the japanese kanji of jujitsu is?

Jiu-Jitsu = Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
JuJitsu = Japanese (Traditional) JuJitsu
Completely different.

If you can't read it it is moronic to tattoo yourself with it.

Jiu-Jitsu = Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
JuJitsu = Japanese (Traditional) JuJitsu
Completely different.

Now you are getting into semantics.

Kanji has to be broken down in a way that westerners can read. When westerners tried to romanize the Jpnz system their were a lot of different styles.

One style spelled it Jiu Jitsu. Another Jujitsu. Another Jyu jitsu. Their are even more spellings that I am missing, but they are all the same kanji and all have the same meaning. Now the Jpnz romanization system has become more standardized so Jujitsu is the most common, but Jiu Jitsu had already become part of the Brazilian vernacular so it stayed the same over their, and that spelling was exported when referring to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

Of course, if that has to be explained, you might be better off without the tat.

I bet you wanted to get it in between your shoulder blades or under the barbwire on your bicep.

First, too many people have Kanji tattoos, many of whom, have no idea what it says (AKA. Many tattoo artists have purposely messed up people's Kanji tramp stamps). More so however, because you can't understand what it's saying, and thus it has no meaning to you. I would much rather see someone with simply JiuJitsu tattoo'ed in some unorthodox lettering, or something else Jiujitsu related (A belt, two guys rolling, anything, be creative). My belief is: If you need to ask someone how to write it, don't get it tattoo'ed on yourself.
Because some people think that once a bunch of people have something, it is no longer cool. Therefor if it's not cool, you shouldn't do it. I say fuck that. If you love jiu-jitsu there's nothing wrong tattooing it on your body. If you like the kanji, get at it. This guy probably changes his wardrobe every year based on what is now cool and burns any remnants of what he used to think was cool. I bet he had a big ass Tapout hoodie that he rocked all over till they became the "poser" MMA brand. Personally, I love jiu-jitsu and will get a jiu-jitsu tat one day (once I get some expendable cash).
Yeah, man, you're so cool. You don't care what anyone thinks, you're such a bad ass, I bet you do whatever you want with no regard for what other people think. You're also such a bad-ass, that you can make completely irrational conclusions about people based on a single sentence. Get off your fucking high horse, I guarantee that you act, or dress in a manner to be accepted by some social circle.

Kanji tattoos on people who don't speak Japanese, were never cool. I'm half japanese, so it's part of my heritage, but I don't speak it, so I'm not going to get something tattoo'ed on me in Kanji. Just like I wouldn't advise someone who doesn't speak Thai, to get a Thai tattoo, even though personally, their writing looks just as cool as Kanji.

We got an old school BJJ guy, doesn't speak any english, is like 65+, and has prob been a brown belt for like 10 years, but just doesn't want the promotion for some reason or other, prob would be able to find out...but i don't speak Portuguese, anyway, he's got it tatted on both wrist's, pretty small, but it's totally bad ass...

We got an old school BJJ guy, doesn't speak any english, is like 65+, and has prob been a brown belt for like 10 years, but just doesn't want the promotion for some reason or other, prob would be able to find out...but i don't speak Portuguese, anyway, he's got it tatted on both wrist's, pretty small, but it's totally bad ass...

I want to be him.

Im getting a triangle on my forehead

A triangle choke on your forehead? Or you mean, a triangle tattooed on your forehead? Or you ACTUALLY mean to get a tattoo of someone applying a triangle choke? That would be badass, nobody would want to mess with you.

You should tat whatever you want on your body wherever you want. yes the whole japanese lettering, kanji, gracie triangle is a bit played but so what? Do you really care what some douche bag on the internet thinks?

For me I have two tats, both have meaning to me. 4 years of latin in HS and 4 years of latin in college, plus 2 years of random latin lit classes in grad school. Guess what, I have a latin phrase tat. 5 years in the marines, 32 months of combat pay, I have a generic marine meat tags. Do I care that both are a bit cheesy, maybe, but they still are part of who I am. No regrets.

Back