Accurate kanji symbol for jiu jitsu?

You should tat whatever you want on your body wherever you want. yes the whole japanese lettering, kanji, gracie triangle is a bit played but so what? Do you really care what some douche bag on the internet thinks?

For me I have two tats, both have meaning to me. 4 years of latin in HS and 4 years of latin in college, plus 2 years of random latin lit classes in grad school. Guess what, I have a latin phrase tat. 5 years in the marines, 32 months of combat pay, I have a generic marine meat tags. Do I care that both are a bit cheesy, maybe, but they still are part of who I am. No regrets.

Very few people would have a problem with your tattoos. You obviously know what your tattoo means, I'm simply saying, if you can't read what it says, don't get it.

Very few people would have a problem with your tattoos. You obviously know what your tattoo means, I'm simply saying, if you can't read what it says, don't get it.

I agree but in this case people do know what the jiu jitsu symbols mean.

There's a guy in K1 with the bushido virtues tattooed around his neck - that's a far better kanji tattoo imho.

Obviously, if neither you or the tattooist can read the characters, there's a very good chance mistakes will be made. I often see upside down kanji hanging on walls etc.

I agree but in this case people do know what the jiu jitsu symbols mean.

There's a guy in K1 with the bushido virtues tattooed around his neck - that's a far better kanji tattoo imho.

Obviously, if neither you or the tattooist can read the characters, there's a very good chance mistakes will be made. I often see upside down kanji hanging on walls etc.

Very good point, however if you have a japanese friend (or anyone who is profcient reading Kanji) who can vete it for you, I say have at it.

Nice double post...

I wonder how many Japanese boxers have a "boxing" tattoo written in English?

i wasnt planning on it, i just needed it for a school project.
i have thoguht about it tho, can i hear why you beleive i shouldnt? just curious

Wow... interesting how this became a thread about tattoos. The guy just needed the kanji for a school project. One guy starts throwing insults re: kanji tattoos at the guy and everyone suddenly jumps on board.

Ken Flo got a kanji tattoo on the inside of his bicep that means 'bushido'

Yeah, man, you're so cool. You don't care what anyone thinks, you're such a bad ass, I bet you do whatever you want with no regard for what other people think. You're also such a bad-ass, that you can make completely irrational conclusions about people based on a single sentence.[/U] Get off your fucking high horse, I guarantee that you act, or dress in a manner to be accepted by some social circle.

Kanji tattoos on people who don't speak Japanese, were never cool. I'm half japanese, so it's part of my heritage, but I don't speak it, so I'm not going to get something tattoo'ed on me in Kanji. Just like I wouldn't advise someone who doesn't speak Thai, to get a Thai tattoo, even though personally, their writing looks just as cool as Kanji.

Don't get so butt hurt cuz I nailed you on the head. Point is Kanji is just a type of lettering that looks cooler as a tattoo than writing out Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in "Times New Roman". So, why should anyone give a fuck if someone else thinks it's "not cool" if he likes it? It represents something important to him (jiu jitsu) so what difference does it make what language it's in? Especially considering jiu jitsu originated in Japan, it makes sense to me. Besides, once he figures out what it means, he no longer "can't read it".

As far as how I dress and act, I usually wear BJJ related clothing (hoodies and t-shirts). I have a shaved head and wear my "earned" cauliflower ear proudly. I do so because I f'n love BJJ and am proud of it. Anybody who thinks I dress this way to try and look tough is an idiot and I could care less what they think. If I was a hockey fan/player I would probably wear hockey clothing and tattoo a puck on my arm... even if you thought that was cheesy.

Don't get so butt hurt cuz I nailed you on the head. Point is Kanji is just a type of lettering that looks cooler as a tattoo than writing out Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in "Times New Roman". So, why should anyone give a fuck if someone else thinks it's "not cool" if he likes it? It represents something important to him (jiu jitsu) so what difference does it make what language it's in? Especially considering jiu jitsu originated in Japan, it makes sense to me. Besides, once he figures out what it means, he no longer "can't read it".

As far as how I dress and act, I usually wear BJJ related clothing (hoodies and t-shirts). I have a shaved head and wear my "earned" cauliflower ear proudly. I do so because I f'n love BJJ and am proud of it. Anybody who thinks I dress this way to try and look tough is an idiot and I could care less what they think. If I was a hockey fan/player I would probably wear hockey clothing and tattoo a puck on my arm... even if you thought that was cheesy.

well said

I completely agree, why would you ask for the japanese kanji of Jiu-Jitsu, wouldn't you ask what the japanese kanji of jujitsu is?

Jiu-Jitsu = Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
JuJitsu = Japanese (Traditional) JuJitsu
Completely different.

If you can't read it it is moronic to tattoo yourself with it.

Traditional Japanese JJ is spelled Jujutsu. That is the correct way to spell it and pronounce it. Actualy Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu should be spelled Jujutsu, but go figure...

I know i'd rather have a kanji tattooed on me than a stupid G with the Tasmanian Devil in it. The G by itself would be cool, but the Taz is LAME! Might as well get a big blue M&M tattooed on your forearm like this chick that works at the subway by my house.

I dont think it is a bid deal. I have a good percentage of my upperbody covered in Asian artwork and I have incorporated the kanji for Jiu-Jitsu within. It is the only kanji I have on my body, but I feel like BJJ was such an important part of my life that I wanted to represent it on my body for the rest of my life. I have over 10 yrs in the art of Jiu-Jitsu and in the traditional Japanese Jujitsu combined. So yeah, it is a big part of my life and I feel without it, I may have been a lost soul that could have easily gone down the wrong path.

just because everybody is arguing about the coolness, or uncoolness of that tattoo, i'm going to go get it to prove i don't care about what you think!

:icon_chee

I know i'd rather have a kanji tattooed on me than a stupid G with the Tasmanian Devil in it. The G by itself would be cool, but the Taz is LAME! Might as well get a big blue M&M tattooed on your forearm like this chick that works at the subway by my house.

:rolleyes:

Back