Accounting, Finance, or Econ? Which would you recommend?

CardonaLJ**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Curious as to see what people here would rather go for. I'm about 90% sure im transferring schools to St John, and as such am looking into degree programs. Which would you guys do. For those with degrees in these majors, whats it like (school wise and work wise).

For the record, im leaning towards Accounting. Just seeing what others might have to say.

I would go with accounting, because I believe there will always be a need for accountants. On top of that accounting is pretty fun, at least it was at the 100/200 level.

Finance, it could be broaden up to more in future because it's pretty general. Accounting will be just Accounting.

Whatever is good for you. They're all solid majors. You may be leaning towards accounting now but most people tend to stray away from it after the first 2 classes.

Really depends on what you're good at and what you would like to do for a living. It should be relatively easy to find a job as a run of the mill accountant, but I rarely hear of anyone saying that it's rewarding work. Finance has the highest ceiling probably in terms of the amount of revenue you can make, provided you're better than average. Economics gives you a wealth of opportunities, but I'd say it's probably also the most challenging (I myself studied economics up through the graduate level).

Double majored in accounting and finance. I was three classes away from the econ major. I'd suggest accounting but if you get it, you need 150 credits for the CPA so you'll either wanna double major or get your masters to meet the requirements.

Econ is a subject I like a lot but I didn't see much use for it in finding a job. The only thing I knew is I'd likely have to move to DC and have a connection.

What do you want to do as a career? Whatever it is, just look on monster.com or somewhere and see which degree they want and there's your answer.

I can't see accounting as a very fun job, but to each their own. If that's what you want to do, then go for that. From what I've heard it's easy to get into that field and have solid job security.

Curious as to see what people here would rather go for. I'm about 90% sure im transferring schools to St John, and as such am looking into degree programs. Which would you guys do. For those with degrees in these majors, whats it like (school wise and work wise).

For the record, im leaning towards Accounting. Just seeing what others might have to say.

Like I said, if you think it's accounting, just double major and get the 150 done in four years. For a masters, a masters in accounting isn't too useful other than teaching while a masters in tax (MST) is in demand. The problem is, you have no idea at this stage whether you'll be interested specifically in audit/tax/corporate accounting/etc until you have enough classes so I wouldn't rely on the masters for your 150. It also usually keeps you in school an extra year.

I don't know what your ambitions are but this is my five cent advice

Finances = usually higher pay

Accounting = best for job stability and chances at getting a job

Econ = Academia. If you are fueled by theory, research and analysis, then choose this.

What do you want to do as a career? Whatever it is, just look on monster.com or somewhere and see which degree they want and there's your answer.

I can't see accounting as a very fun job, but to each their own. If that's what you want to do, then go for that. From what I've heard it's easy to get into that field and have solid job security.

Accounting to me is the major you want if you are getting into business. If you can understand financial statements with business and tax law, you pretty much become the guy people come to for advice. When you go into public accounting, the first few years can be tedious work but the longer your there, the more you understand about how a business works and become an expert. After that, you essentially become a consultant to your clients which brings in big money. I have partners who get paid 200/hr telling clients how to run their business on the phone.

thanks for the input guys. ideally, id like to work in the front offices of ANY local team. realistically, id want to find a job that pays well and offers stability. econ doesnt seem like something id want to do since i really hate implied theories and i dont think id be entering academia. which makes it a toss up between accounting and finance.

just trying to gauge what options id have after getting a degree

I would go with accounting, because I believe there will always be a need for accountants. On top of that accounting is pretty fun, at least it was at the 100/200 level.

LOL you have no idea. Once you hit corporate tax and the intermediate and advanced courses of financial accounting, the fun stops at the lecture room door. Accounting courses beyond first-year are incredibly challenging.

The stigma of accounting being dry, repetitive work is 100% true. Many people in my school switch to finance because they can't handle the dullness presented to them in accounting classes.

Finance = more risk but more rewards (though fewer jobs)
Accounting = less risk, more stability, and more areas of employment (but boring)

My advice is to major in both finance and accounting and decide upon graduation to pursue either the CPA or CFA designation.

Last edited:
Back