Accounting, Finance, or Econ? Which would you recommend?

I would go with accounting, because I believe there will always be a need for accountants. On top of that accounting is pretty fun, at least it was at the 100/200 level.

You find accounting fun? I don't think I have ever met anyone who said that before.

I would go with accounting, because I believe there will always be a need for accountants. On top of that accounting is pretty fun, at least it was at the 100/200 level.

"Accounting" and "Fun" don't belong in the same sentence.

I've done accounting and economics and i regret i didn't take finance.

I did my undergrad in Economics and in retrospect, I probably wouldn't do it again. I think it's becoming one of those degrees that necessitates at least a Master's degree in order to do work relevant to your education. You won't be "an economist" with a Bachelor's degree, so you'll find yourself looking for jobs for which others are better suited (e.g., finance jobs or whatever).

If you decide to do it anyway, I strongly suggest that by the time you graduate, you have some serious data analysis, statistical, and programming skills, and the ability to apply all these skills to doing strong research. That's your strongest selling point as an economics student. This likely means teaching yourself things that your classes will probably omit.

Economics all day err day.

I would tend to agree since accounting & finance are really more vocational, whereas Econ is much more interesting because of its application to nearly every aspect of every day life. But then again, I am biased since I majored in Econ. I would bet finance & accounting can land you better jobs.

It really depends on what you want. All three have their benefits and drawbacks.

If you want a stable job where you'll make decent pay but is ridiculously boring go for Accounting

If you want a higher ceiling, and would prefer to work harder and be compensated better than accounting, go for Finance. However, to reach the highest levels of Finance, be prepared to get your MBA.

I personally wouldn't go for Economics unless you get your PHD.

Most of the fellow accountants i've met have been quite successful, and many don't flash their wealth. From what i've observed, many had passive income coming from numerous sources. Not every accountant is a depressed bean counting office grunt. If you are going accountant route, then try to specialize in a particular skill that gets you out of an office.

I don't know what your ambitions are but this is my five cent advice

Finances = usually higher pay

Accounting = best for job stability and chances at getting a job

Econ = Academia. If you are fueled by theory, research and analysis, then choose this.

Agree with this.

Back