According to a recent study, women are viewed as being more trustworthy than men

Seahawks Fan

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Hey guys I got to recently attend a symposium held by the University of Washington's psychology department. There were many presentations done on the various studies that have been conducted over the last few years by the department's researchers. The one that caught my attention the most was a study done on the apparent trustworthiness of both genders.

Basically the researchers had men and women walk around Seattle asking for change for a $50 bill. The assumption was that whenever someone agreed to give change for $50 they trusted that the person was presenting them with a genuine $50 bill, i.e. not a counterfeit. The overall rate at which people were willing to give change was extremely low (slightly above 3%), but for every 100 interactions by both male and female subjects, women were given change at a rate of more than 3x that of men. Even when you adjust for the fact that some men might give change to women subjects rather than men subjects for sexual reasons, the results still look the same: in other words, when the people being asked for change were women, women were still significantly more successful at getting change than men.

The conclusion was that women might be presumed more trustworthy than men in novel situations.

I don't think that solidifies the belief that women are viewed as more "trustworthy". The species as a whole will do more for a woman than a man, in almost all cases.
Exactly. This "test" could also be telling us that society views women as helpless. Like you better give her change or she'll end up asking the wrong guy and next thing you know she's putting the lotion in the basket.

Exactly. This "test" could also be telling us that society views women as helpless. Like you better give her change or she'll end up asking the wrong guy and next thing you know she's putting the lotion in the basket.

Even comes down to the fact that if a woman was trying to scam, many could easily take her out if need be. Guy scamming you is tougher, especially if they are bigger or what not. There are just so many different reasons that could be attributed to the result of this test or whatever. You have to ask why they did it too.

I think they just trusted that women would screw up the math and give them extra money.

eric-guilty.gif

All the reason for the posters above are valid. At the same time, I do feel society views women as more trustworthy and men more likely to scam.

That doesn’t seem as though there is enough of a control here.
If you come up and ask for 50 dollars I’m gonna assume you are no good regardless of gender.

How many people even carry cash to break a 50 these days, let alone want to pull their wallet out in the middle of a street downtown?

All the reason for the posters above are valid. At the same time, I do feel society views women as more trustworthy and men more likely to scam.
Yeah but that’s where things get more tricky. Trustworthy encompasses a huge broad range of things, and scamming is just one of them. I would agree that yes scammers are mostly male. Just read a simp forum though and you’ll see that a lot of men won’t trust women when they say they’ve been sexually assaulted. So yeah this study is just garbage

Think about the study too. They only had like 3% of people willing to make change. By their framing that implies no one trusts anyone. However, I’ll bet like 70-80% of people don’t have change for a 50 in their wallet these days. I rarely have more than like 30 bucks in cash on me these days.

I think the conclusion should be that women are perceived as being more trustworthy rather than just being more trustworthy.

I’m not saying women are more or less trustworthy than men. Just that it’s the perception of trustworthiness that was measured, not actual trustworthiness.

Possibly, I mean blokes will always tell a lie to try and get a woman in the sack. I once told a girl I was in the Australian Archery team, absolute bullshit of course but never got me anywhere anyway!

Possibly, I mean blokes will always tell a lie to try and get a woman in the sack. I once told a girl I was in the Australian Archery team, absolute bullshit of course but never got me anywhere anyway!

Try tell it to @Slobodan
you might get lucky.

Maybe people just don't believe women have the initiative and daring to be running a counterfeiting operation? A terribly sexist attitude btw

Men are more honest with themselves

That’s what matters

Back