Acai

stop being such a negative nancy

Why? You guys can't be serious with this.

Nobody has any evidence that it does anything at all but everybody swears by it? I feel like I'm in a TurboGym commercial or something.

People are eating it because it comes from Brazil and since they train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu it must be the best thing to eat? Are you kidding me?

Why? You guys can't be serious with this.

Nobody has any evidence that it does anything at all but everybody swears by it? I feel like I'm in a TurboGym commercial or something.

People are eating it because it comes from Brazil and since they train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu it must be the best thing to eat? Are you kidding me?
Is there something wrong with actually liking it because it has health benefits and tastes good?
We've told you the health benefits, and yeah you can find the same benefits elsewhere but some people just like acai.

I think it tastes good. So I buy it. I east blueberries, too...but they don't taste like Acai.

PASSION FRUIT FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!

war passion fruit

passion fruit>>>>>>>>>>>>>acai

damn i want some passion fruit, i heard of a place that sells it which is like an hour and a half away, but im too lazy to go there.....when i was in the dominican republic i must have ate a million passion fruits

anyone else eat them? if so you know where to get some in brooklyn new york?

Some guy said, in broken English, it will give you super powers. That someone was Brasilian, he obviously knows all. Sometimes I like to strain my Acai through the Gracie Juice Bag

Lol at groceries scamming Americans with their overpriced "superfruit". It's like a slightly better blueberry, but it's 3x the price.

Surely not the exact same ones (ALA/EPA/DHA) that I get from eating eggs, fish, fish oil tablets, flaxseed oil, and grass-fed beef?

Any other magical properties that make Acai worth the price?

Seriously. Everyone goes crazy over this shit and nobody can tell me anything that it does? Seriously...? For real for real?

So why are you opposed to acai if it has, according to one of your previous posts "more antioxidants than blueberries", omega 3 fatty acids, up to 30 times as many anthocyanins as red-wine, oleic acid, and essential amino acids(rare in plants I thought)?

I mean, even having anti-oxidants is enough to make dark-chocolate and red-wine "healthy" so why not acai?

The other point is that, apparently, it's delicious. Do you buy all your food based on cost-efficiency? Maybe it is just simply delicious and healthy, so people are willing to buy it? I spend a shitload of money on cheese, and wine, and cured meats, wild mushrooms and so on and so forth simply for the flavour profiles they add to my food. I could just as easily get by on kraft singles, baby duck, schneiders, and pennsylvania button mushrooms and save myself hundreds of dollars per year, but where's the fun in that? I'd rather have my Chateaux Margaux, Roquefort, pancetta, and chanterelle mushrooms and pay 6 times as much.

Some guy said, in broken English, it will give you super powers. That someone was Brasilian, he obviously knows all. Sometimes I like to strain my Acai through the Gracie Juice Bag

So why are you opposed to acai if it has, according to one of your previous posts "more antioxidants than blueberries", omega 3 fatty acids, up to 30 times as many anthocyanins as red-wine, oleic acid, and essential amino acids(rare in plants I thought)?

I mean, even having anti-oxidants is enough to make dark-chocolate and red-wine "healthy" so why not acai?

The other point is that, apparently, it's delicious. Do you buy all your food based on cost-efficiency? Maybe it is just simply delicious and healthy, so people are willing to buy it? I spend a shitload of money on cheese, and wine, and cured meats, wild mushrooms and so on and so forth simply for the flavour profiles they add to my food. I could just as easily get by on kraft singles, baby duck, schneiders, and pennsylvania button mushrooms and save myself hundreds of dollars per year, but where's the fun in that? I'd rather have my Chateaux Margaux, Roquefort, pancetta, and chanterelle mushrooms and pay 6 times as much.

I'm opposed to it because the minor increase in antioxidants doesn't justify the price of it. Furthermore, you don't really even know what you are getting unless you're buying immediately flash frozen Acai. Acai begins to lose its 'antioxidative' powers as soon as its picked, so studies done on the fruit vary widely on quantity of their benefits at all.

If that wasn't enough, people aren't supporting the cause because it's the most delicious fruit they've ate. No, they don't even want to taste it. They want to -drink- it PWO. For pete's sake it was posted in Grappling and nobody said anything because its "related to grappling." Wtf? No it's not.

Thirdly, if you want something with antioxidants, I can do all of you about 50 times better: drink Yerba Mate.

Medallion Labs Analytical Report said:
Antioxidant Activity of Common Foods (TE/100g)
Pure Vitamin E (standard antioxidant) 201,000
Aviva Yerba Mate 161,000
Red Beans 11,459
Raisins 5,900
Blueberries 3,300
Brocolli Flowers 500
*Trolox Units per 100g dry weight sample of Aviva Yerba Mate; Prakash PhD, Aruna, Medallion Labs Analytical Report, Antioxidant Activity, Summer 2001.

So let's say that this awesome Acai fruit has 10% more antioxidants than Blueberries... It's still pretty damned low on that list. Even if it was DOUBLE Blueberries, it's only slightly better than red beans?

Green tea (Yerba Mate has 10-11x the antioxidative power of Green Tea) would be around 16,000. And Green tea is cheap. Hell, so is Yerba Mate. I got about a month supply for about 4 bucks at my health food store.

So what exactly does Acai do for you that you can't get cheaper (and in massive quantities) elsewhere?

It's a scam whether or not you guys are too proud/biased to admit it or not.

I'm opposed to it because the minor increase in antioxidants doesn't justify the price of it. Furthermore, you don't really even know what you are getting unless you're buying immediately flash frozen Acai. Acai begins to lose its 'antioxidative' powers as soon as its picked, so studies done on the fruit vary widely on quantity of their benefits at all.

If that wasn't enough, people aren't supporting the cause because it's the most delicious fruit they've ate. No, they don't even want to taste it. They want to -drink- it PWO. For pete's sake it was posted in Grappling and nobody said anything because its "related to grappling." Wtf? No it's not.

Thirdly, if you want something with antioxidants, I can do all of you about 50 times better: drink Yerba Mate.

So let's say that this awesome Acai fruit has 10% more antioxidants than Blueberries... It's still pretty damned low on that list. Even if it was DOUBLE Blueberries, it's only slightly better than red beans?

Green tea (Yerba Mate has 10-11x the antioxidative power of Green Tea) would be around 16,000. And Green tea is cheap. Hell, so is Yerba Mate. I got about a month supply for about 4 bucks at my health food store.

So what exactly does Acai do for you that you can't get cheaper (and in massive quantities) elsewhere?

I will concede the flash frozen point. However, there's a lot more to acai, it seems, than anti-oxidants. What about the oleic acid and omega 3, amino acids, polyphenols, anthocyanids etc. It seems like it has a lot to offer, far more than a pear for example.

I'm not so sure if you could say that this fruit is a scam? It is being marketed as a wonder-fruit. Whether it is or not it is debatable...whether it is healthy or not really isnt. I dont think the price is driven by its wonder fruit status. I think it's price is driven by the same force as every other product...supply and demand. Are truffles a scam too because they contain very little nutritional value?

Personally I'm not going to go hunting down acai because of its health benefits. I dont really go to health food stores because I just try to eat everything as fresh as possible, with as few processed foods as possible, without freaking out about the chemical compounds represented in my food. The only reason that I would go hunting it down is for its flavour profile....could you imagine, Foie Gras with an Acai and red-wine compot? That would be strange and possibly wonderful.

I will concede the flash frozen point. However, there's a lot more to acai, it seems, than anti-oxidants. What about the oleic acid and omega 3, amino acids, polyphenols, anthocyanids etc. It seems like it has a lot to offer, far more than a pear for example.

I'm not so sure if you could say that this fruit is a scam? It is being marketed as a wonder-fruit. Whether it is or not it is debatable...whether it is healthy or not really isnt. I dont think the price is driven by its wonder fruit status. I think it's price is driven by the same force as every other product...supply and demand. Are truffles a scam too because they contain very little nutritional value?

Personally I'm not going to go hunting down acai because of its health benefits. I dont really go to health food stores because I just try to eat everything as fresh as possible, with as few processed foods as possible, without freaking out about the chemical compounds represented in my food. The only reason that I would go hunting it down is for its flavour profile....could you imagine, Foie Gras with an Acai and red-wine compot? That would be strange and possibly wonderful.

Taste is probably the best argument for this, as I can't tell you what tastes good to you. And the way you are using it is probably the best reason for buying it. But people aren't really arguing the taste. There were like 4-5 people claiming it has all these extra health benefits and then fail to mention any.

They don't just want to taste it, they want to mix it in with their nasty tasting PWO shake and down it because I seriously think they're under this guise of thinking it will make them better at jiu jitsu since the Gracie's use it.

Do they not know they can get these same health benefits in greater quantities in a lot of different places?

Besides omega-3, you can get all of those from Yerba Mate as well. And a lot of the same stuff is found in Green tea. Personally I eat enough fish or fish oil supplements where I don't need Acai's omega-3. And eating Acai for omega-3 benefits seems like a great way to waste money.

That's why I think it's a scam. Everyone seems to have been gobbled up this 'Acai has the antioxidants!' spiel with no mention of the quantity and then they begin to regurgitate it to everyone else while never really asking themselves 'What else has these same chemicals that I can get for a lot cheaper, has the same ultra-jiu-jitsu-fighting benefits, and that's a lot more readily available?'

Ah, so finally we get to go "scientific".

1) Which study shows those 10 % more than blueberries you keep claiming? I assume you got that from Wikipedia? Isn't that number related to wild blueberries?

2) Who has done the study? Always you have to ask yourself. Maybe it was sponsored by the blueberry mafia of America? :icon_chee Trying to protect the market share.

3) The issue of antioxydants is very complex, as there are many different ones and no one really knows what all of them are doing exactly.

Acai antioxydants have been shown to destroy cancer cells, but so far only in vitro http://news.ufl.edu/2006/01/12/berries/

They also have been proven to maintain health in the cardio vascular system.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...serid=10&md5=e350ac785696881207bb74c55327e946

But other antioxydants have similar effects, the most common one being ascorbic acid, which is, you guessed it, Vitamin C.

The issue is that there is no single measurement of antioxidants that makes a comparison really possible.
There are actually a number of polyphenols present in Acai that aren't even known yet.
So you saying it only is 10% better in antioxydant properties (whatever that means) is plain misleading, as you do not specify which measure you are looking at.

Additionally the real benefits of any food come from the whole package:

"This study demonstrated that a

Ah, so finally we get to go "scientific".

1) Which study shows those 10 % more than blueberries you keep claiming? I assume you got that from Wikipedia? Isn't that number related to wild blueberries?

2) Who has done the study? Always you have to ask yourself. Maybe it was sponsored by the blueberry mafia of America? :icon_chee Trying to protect the market share.

You can say this for pretty much any study that has ever been conducted ever. I don't think the blueberry mafia of America has anything to fear from Acai.

3) The issue of antioxydants is very complex, as there are many different ones and no one really knows what all of them are doing exactly.

You're right. It's not like we are talking about a single easily measured chemical. It is a mixture of properties that define the all-encompassing 'antioxidant.'

That doesn't matter though, because the entire basis you have for eating Acai is based on the same layman 'antioxidant' term. Nobody seems to care exactly what is in the Acai. They just know that it has 'antioxidants' and Gracie's use it. Good enough for them.

But other antioxydants have similar effects, the most common one being ascorbic acid, which is, you guessed it, Vitamin C.

Ding ding ding. You win. Eat oranges.

The issue is that there is no single measurement of antioxidants that makes a comparison really possible.
There are actually a number of polyphenols present in Acai that aren't even known yet.
So you saying it only is 10% better in antioxydant properties (whatever that means) is plain misleading, as you do not specify which measure you are looking at.

Direct quote from Wikipedia and numerous other places across the web. If you have a problem with it maybe you could email the author and ask how he did his comparison.

Furthermore, the same can be said, again, for Yerba mate. It has 196 volatile chemicals and 11 known polyphenols. It also has:

Vitamins A, C, E, B1, B2, Niacin (B3), B5, and B Complex, Calcium, Manganese, Iron, Selenium, Potassium, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Fatty Acids, Chlorophyll, Flavonols, Polyphenols, Trace Minerals, Antioxidants, Pantothenic Acid and 15 Amino Acids.

And studies keep finding more great things about it. Sounds awesome, huh? Sounds like you want to just stick it in a shake and go tap out Royce Gracie?

Additionally the real benefits of any food come from the whole package:

"This study demonstrated that a

One of the upsides of living in Europe (london) is that Acai is reaadily available in the super market for extremely cheap (relative to the states.) Its no different then buying milk or orange juice and at about $3 for 2 liters you can't go wrong.

Like tescos, ASDA and such?

You can say this for pretty much any study that has ever been conducted ever. I don't think the blueberry mafia of America has anything to fear from Acai.

You're right. It's not like we are talking about a single easily measured chemical. It is a mixture of properties that define the all-encompassing 'antioxidant.'

That doesn't matter though, because the entire basis you have for eating Acai is based on the same layman 'antioxidant' term. Nobody seems to care exactly what is in the Acai. They just know that it has 'antioxidants' and Gracie's use it. Good enough for them.

Ding ding ding. You win. Eat oranges.

Direct quote from Wikipedia and numerous other places across the web. If you have a problem with it maybe you could email the author and ask how he did his comparison.

Furthermore, the same can be said, again, for Yerba mate. It has 196 volatile chemicals and 11 known polyphenols. It also has:

Vitamins A, C, E, B1, B2, Niacin (B3), B5, and B Complex, Calcium, Manganese, Iron, Selenium, Potassium, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Fatty Acids, Chlorophyll, Flavonols, Polyphenols, Trace Minerals, Antioxidants, Pantothenic Acid and 15 Amino Acids.

And studies keep finding more great things about it. Sounds awesome, huh? Sounds like you want to just stick it in a shake and go tap out Royce Gracie?

So basically you're just saying that even if Acai doesn't have mystical BJJ health benefits, its still awesome because they admit they need more research to evaluate benefits of whole foods? What? The same polyphenols are in a lot of things.

You can buy freeze died blueberries just as easily (actually, more easily.) Not sure what this proves other than humans are capable of freezing a lot of stuff.

I know that other foods offer the same benefits while being much cheaper. That's really all I need to know.

I never said anybody was wrong for buying it. I said I wanted proof of these completely outlandish claims and got nothing. Leading me to believe that nobody actually knows anything about it other than 'the Gracie's use it' and thus can't possibly be worth what it costs.

Thanks, I will.

WTF...People like the taste and it's good for you...What's the big deal?

Tea makes me want to vomit. never liked the stuff.

Acai is bomb. simply delicious.

My 2

Back