Absolute Question...

Trickster***

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Who is the lightest guy to even win the absolutes at the Worlds, Abu Dhabi or Pan Ams?

This weekend (assuming my knee feels a lil better) I'll be competing at the Grapplers Quest in NJ. I plan on doing the no-gi beginner and I am considering doing the Novice absolute division too but Im 6ft 170lbs (tall, skinny, average strength) So im wondering...are the guys that usually win the absolute monsters?? Im picturing going up against these freakish 200lbs (215 before the weight cut) juiceheads.

I dont mind going up against huge heavy guys, bc I usually end up on their backs even if Im not strong enough to sub them, but 200lbs muscle-bond freaks would be a huge problem for me.

So what weight class usually end up winning the absolutes?

Typically what I see is either an average schmo around 170-185 wins or one of those freakishly huge 240 lbs. guys. In the novice divisions usually it's the 240 guys, but the more advanced bjjers I see mostly 175 or so.

Don't worry about strength and size though. With the bigger guys, try not to get on your back though, get on top and just keep moving.

Typically what I see is either an average schmo around 170-185 wins or one of those freakishly huge 240 lbs. guys. In the novice divisions usually it's the 240 guys, but the more advanced bjjers I see mostly 175 or so.

Don't worry about strength and size though. With the bigger guys, try not to get on your back though, get on top and just keep moving.

Thanks for the info, maybe I'll check it out. It would be nice to win a few hundred bucks

Marcelo Garcia comes to mind - he won all his cat fights by submission AND won his way to the Absolute final by submissions.

But there are far more statitition feaks out there than me - so Im sure there are others -

ooh - didnt Rodrigo medieros win at absolute in the world - hes not big

Royler is pretty small at around 150 (maybe 140) lbs.

At 6 feet, 160 lbs you stand about zero chance of winning the absolute.

The only way you could win would be if you were just on a completely different level than all of the other competitors. That's definitely not going to be to the case since you are entering the Novice division.

Sorry to give you the bad news, but that's just how it works.

Marcelo Garcia is not really a relevant example in this case. First off, he never actually won an Absolute division at ADCC anyway. He has placed 2nd and 3rd. He's also not really that skinny although he does fight in the 76 kg class. If you have ever seen him, he has a thicker build, especially his legs.

The fact is, the guys who win are almost always in the heaviest weight classes.

a guy at my gym trained w/ Marcelo for about a year and said he walks around at 183.

Trickster, I was wondering the same thing. When I go to Houston at the end of last month, I'll be at about 185 if not JUST shy of 180lbs. In addition to my weight class, I was also thinking of competing in the absolute. Granted a month or so ago I was at 192, and it's a pretty muscular build, but still. I just don't want some lard ass novice who can't do shit to fat on me the whole time.

At 6 feet, 160 lbs you stand about zero chance of winning the absolute.

The only way you could win would be if you were just on a completely different level than all of the other competitors. That's definitely not going to be to the case since you are entering the Novice division.

Sorry to give you the bad news, but that's just how it works.

Marcelo Garcia is not really a relevant example in this case. First off, he never actually won an Absolute division at ADCC anyway. He has placed 2nd and 3rd. He's also not really that skinny although he does fight in the 76 kg class. If you have ever seen him, he has a thicker build, especially his legs.

The fact is, the guys who win are almost always in the heaviest weight classes.

1. Im 170 sorry, Im in 160-169 so I typed that wrong (not that it might make a differnce)

2. Im only doing the Novice bc of the weight difference. Ive been training 7 months so I go into beginner (6 moths to 2 years, rather than being a trophy whore and competing just to win) I am only doing the Novice bc I would have such a weight disadvantage.
I arleady won the no-gi novice at my weight (no big accompliment there)

3. Dont ever tell someone they dont have a chance - if you are a sports fans you constatntly see people acheiving things that others thought werent possible!

Edit: actually grapplers quest novice is 9 months and under (which basically means everyone with under a year and half will be there.....sand baggers unite!)
NAGA is 6 months and under my bad!

Wait, can you compete novice if you're already competing in a beginner category at the same tourney?

god i hope i dont have to face any sandbaggers early

If Im moving UP to do beginner why couldnt I do Novice if thats technically where I belong?

Because it sort of makes you look like a sissy?

If Im moving UP to do beginner why couldnt I do Novice if thats technically where I belong?

because it doesn't make any sense to do one category and then drop down to a lower level at the same tournament. especially with this planned out ahead. you're either a beginner or a novice, but how are you both on the same day?

LOL at 200lb monsters. Last tournament I did, I cut to 168 to make <169.9, and in absolute I got a guy who was 6'4, 270lbs, conservative estimate. Nothing like getting smothered in open and half guard for five minutes.

As long as you don't collapse a lung, it's definitely an interesting test to try your hand at the absolute. I couldn't find an html price description for the extra division, but that would be the decision maker for me. $10-20 is worth it, and GQ is probably significantly more.

Have you ever rolled with anyone larger than you in training? It will be a lot like that. It will be a lot more like that than Marcelo taking on bigger guys at an international competition. Seriously, you are entering a novice division of a local tournament. Your question doesn't relate to your situation at all.

I remember loking over absolute results for judo world championships IIRC only LHW guys won the absolutes never lighter

I lsot to a 140pounds guy in my last comp ):

I don't want to thread jack, so if it turns into it I will create a new post, but because it's somewhat related to tournaments.....

Do absolutes come before or after weight classes (and is it always this way)? I'm going to a tournament where I can go 4 divisions, weight class gi/no-gi and absolute gi/no-gi for $100! Has anybody ever entered multiple tournaments, and say for one division you start to go far, but then you have to compete in another division a couple matches, but now when you go to finish up the first division you were doing well in and maybe could've won you're exhausted because you went and did a couple other divisions?

Does that make sense? In short...I'm afraid I'll exhaust myself and won't be able to finish one division I'm doing well in because I've competed in a couple others in between matches.

Because it sort of makes you look like a sissy?

Grappling AT my level makes me a sissy? WOW!

I didnt know they changed the rules....people at NAGA's used to compete in intermediate, lose, then do the beginner level. People used to compete at different levels all the time.

So why does it seem so WRONG that if I am going to go against guys much heavier than me that I would stay AT my level.....but against guys my own weight I want to challenge myself?

Sissy? lol not even a lil bit!

Back