About the Guerilla Cardio

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by ObsceneJester, Aug 2, 2005.

1. ObsceneJester

ObsceneJester Banned Banned

I started the Guerilla Cardio on Monday and I believe I did it as hard as I could..

For this workout I did sprints 8 sets of 20 seconds with 10 seconds of rest.. my question is.. my legs aren't burning like I thought they would, could I be doing something wrong?

I just hear about people talking about this workout burning them up and was wondering if I wasn't doing it right because I don't feel the 'burn' in them..

Thanks Sherdog

2. Ted-P

Ted-P Brown Belt

Balls out sprint everytime.

Unless you are already in phemonal shape, you probably aren't running as hard you should.

The thing is? DOes it kill you when you do it?

3. Stewart Kwong

Stewart Kwong Yellow Belt Professional Fighter

thats funny cause i just started the same workout monday too, same amount of sets and evrything and my ass, hams, and quads are burning pretty bad today. i was planning on doing them again tomorrow but i think i'll need an extra day of rest. i haven't done sprints in about 10 months though.

4. Brad Morris

Brad Morris Green Belt Professional Fighter

I regularly do sprints so I wasn't really sore after the workout, but I was gasping for air at the end and my lungs were burning trying to get oxygen in. I don't think you pushed yourself hard enough, every sprint you give 100%

If you still find it easy find a long hill at least a mile long and do the sprints 20sec on 10 secs rest up the hill.

5. Ian Coe

Ian Coe Silver Belt Professional Fighter

I would say you were going at 60-80% not full out. When I was doing hard running I tried the same type of protocal and my god my legs killed me for a few days afterwards. I was sucking in air like I only had a straw to breath through

6. ObsceneJester

Oh no after the workout I felt like I was going to pass out. Lol it hurt my throat so bad because I was breathing so much and so hard for air.. The thing is my legs are a little sore but they aren't 'burning'.. my lungs were killing me and felt like my heart was poping out of my chest.. but my legs are just dead..

7. Ian Coe

Ian Coe Silver Belt Professional Fighter

dead meaning not hurting?

Sounds to me like your lungs are your weak link and IMO that was what held you back in the legs department. Your legs could do a faster pace, but the lungs were having none of it, hence the lack of soreness

8. Lusst

Lusst Red Belt

Hehe, such a beautiful feeling.

9. ObsceneJester

Another question.. if I was to continue doing this, with a sensible diet.. and three times a week should I definitly see major results as far as loseing the gut I need to have to train

10. TidusAeon

TidusAeon Brown Belt

I've heard nothing but positive remarks about fat loss and such from the guerilla cardio workout.

I just did it today too and my legs were all wobbly and I was breathing more intensely and my heart beated faster than before. I have been gradually running HIIT for a month or so, so that may be a factor why I didn't feel killed.

But, I felt that I ran good. I have to step it up more as I felt I ran just 80% of what I could have done to max potential.

Keep us posted.

11. ObsceneJester

I was wondering if this was a good schedule to do ..

Monday:
    Guerilla Cardio (Sprints)

Tuesday:
    Tabata (Push ups, sit ups.. and hopefully pull ups)

Wensday:
    Guerilla Cardio (Sprints)

Thursday:
    Tabatta (Push ups, sit ups and hopfully pull ups)

Friday:
    Guerilla Cardio (sprints)

Sat & Sun:
    Rest..

Also someone said 5 meals a day, how would I place as far as time wise to eat..

12. TidusAeon

TidusAeon Brown Belt

I heard it's recommended to do cardio on your off days (if that you are doing weight training) or every other day.

So for instance, when you do it 3x a week, it would look soething like this:

Monday, Wednesday, Friday

or

Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday

I'd reckon your legs would be worn out if you were to do them back to back since you're doing sprints balls out each set.

13. wenispinkle

wenispinkle Skankin' It Easy...

that would be awesome for cutting and getting the fat off. however, if your actually going to do it, i suggest you take in massive amounts of protein and do some low-weight low-volume weight training to avoid losing muscle mass from all the cardio.

times to eat, you need your protein + carbs meals in the morning. protein + fat comes later during the day. if you really want to cut, take in carbs only at breakfast and post-workout. 5 meals a day is not a strict thing, 4 or 3 would be fine too

14. ObsceneJester

I was thinking about doing that workout I said above for two months then get back into Weights after the two months to get back in shape

Also will it become so much of a problem with my cardio I would be losing muscle instead of fat with these Cardio workouts?

I try to eat Oatmeal in the morning and the Tuna fish for dinner and lunch

15. wenispinkle

wenispinkle Skankin' It Easy...

it probably wont be that much of a problem since this is short, high intensity work, but its still alot of cardio so just get alot of protein and take is post-workout carbs to avoid losing muscle mass

16. Ultrashogun

Ultrashogun Red Belt

Where can I get some profound info on this workout?

It seems to contradict the old "do extensive exercise for 20+ minutes to burn fat" dogma.

17. Timbaland

Timbaland Black Belt

My legs were a little sore the next day, but not too bad. My side was hurting and I was really winded from the program though. You aren't pushing yourself hard enough.

18. yomon

yomon Green Belt

anyone wana give this a go with bear crawls? :icon_twis