A young woman has been charged for convincing her boyfriend to commit suicide

Complete freedom of speech doesn't exist anywhere that I'm aware of.

It's illegal to shout "fire" in a crowded theatre or "I've got a bomb!" on a plane. The reason is that people might get hurt. It's generally illegal to cause people to get hurt either deliberately or through reckless actions - including what you say. Do you think it's OK to do either of these things then?

It's also illegal to set up a group where you preach that the listeners should hate and then go out and kill certain people - e.g. Islamic fundamentalist preachers convincing people to blow themselves up or race/gay hate groups setting off bombs. Are you saying that we should allow this to happen?

How about conspiracy to commit murder where one guy plans it and another carries it out. Is it only the trigger-man who is guilty since the other guy was just "exercising his freedom of speech"?

The law recognises that people can be influenced into doing things that hurt others. If this girl had convinced a mentally ill guy to murder your mother, would you still be thinking "Oh well, he pulled trigger, she had nothing to do with it?". The difference here is that she pushed him not to hurt someone else, but himself instead. She still used her verbal influence to cause harm.

I was on the fence about this but this really puts it into perspective. I'm convinced she needs to do time.

I don't get how lawyers say some of the shit they say with a straight face. From the article:

He said that Carter was "brainwashed" into supporting Roy's plan for suicide.
"He ultimately persuaded a young, impressionable girl," Caldato told reporters, according to South Coast Today. "Eventually he gets her to endorse his plan."

I could see you saying something like this if we didn't actually have access to the texts where she breaks his balls to the point of suicide.

I don't get how lawyers say some of the shit they say with a straight face. From the article:

I could see you saying something like this if we didn't actually have access to the texts where she breaks his balls to the point of suicide.

Jesus, that is some cold shit.

Hope she spends her entire life in prison at the very least.

That's their job, bro, and they're good at it. They get paid to be dumb ****s in extreme cases like this.

Man, those texts were hard to read. She just kept pushing and pushing. She was relentless all the while pretending to love and support him. That's genuine evil.

That's their job, bro, and they're good at it. They get paid to be dumb ****s in extreme cases like this.

I just wonder how they can sleep with themselves at night? My conscience would be killing me having to defend these people and come up with lies. Not just lies but ones that are pure foolishness and make no sense. Or they are just that daft and believe their own rubbish they spew.

She's just a psychopath. Sadistic, no empathy. Saw an opportunity to satisfy her urge and took it.

Worse part about it is the kid killed himself because he was depressed and felt the world is wicked as fuck but in the end his "friend" was the most wicked of all to him.

I just wonder how they can sleep with themselves at night? My conscience would be killing me having to defend these people and come up with lies. Not just lies but ones that are pure foolishness and make no sense. Or they are just that daft and believe their own rubbish they spew.
I have lots of friends who are attorneys. The two that are defense attorneys make me shake my head sometimes. Some of the people and defenses they come up with are pure insanity in the real world. But in the legal world there exists some kind of alternate reality that can be stretched and played with like a word salad. Like there was a famous case recently where the guy got accused of rape. His defense was that she was scantily dressed at his pad, he had shorts on, got errection and he tripped and fell on top of her and his penis fell into her vagina thru her panties and under her skirt. Like in what universe has this EVER happened? I understand that everyone is entitled to representation and fair trial, but goddamn....that is some bullshit of all bullshitting. If I was a juror I would convict the guy just for having the audacity to come up with such steaming piles of stinky bullshit.

UPDATED OP

Here is the full court documentation of the text messages exchanged between the two of them.

Some snippets of the documentation:

The reason? So she could get loads of attention and sympathy from people for being a grieving girlfriend who lost a fella to suicide. This makes me sick to my stomach. The poor guy clearly was crying out for help and tried to dodge the question so many times. He had so many doubts and clearly didn't want to do it. She obviously had too much power over him. Being in love can literally kill you.

UNILAD-3874f1cb781fd106ac355922db57fe6.jpg

UNILAD-suicide-23.jpg

More: http://www.smh.com.au/world/i-can-g...rad-roy-suicide-messages-20150831-gjc5nj.html

What she did was fucked up, but she is not guilty of manslaughter. This is a pretty dangerous slippery slope. If you tell someone to go kill themselves, and for whatever reason they do, are you guilty of manslaughter?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back