A single concussion may triple the risk of suicide

Prime Yossarian

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Just read an article on the Scientific American webpage that made some pretty scary observations about concussions and CTE.

They identified nearly a quarter of a million adults in Ontario who were diagnosed with a mild concussion over a timespan of 20 years—severe cases that resulted in hospital admission were excluded from the study—and tracked them for subsequent mortality due to suicide. It turned out that more than 660 suicides occurred among these patients, equivalent to 31 deaths per 100,000 patients annually—three times the population norm.

Alhilali points to recent studies on chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), a progressive degenerative brain disease associated with repeated head traumas. Often linked to dementia, depression, loss of impulse control and suicide, CTE was recently diagnosed in 87 of 91 deceased NFL players.

Redelmeier is adamant that people should take concussions seriously. “We need to do more research about prevention and recovery,” he says. “But let me at least articulate three things to do: One, give yourself permission to get some rest. Two, when you start to feel better, don’t try to come back with a vengeance. And three, even after you’re feeling better, after you’ve rested properly, don’t forget about it entirely.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/a...on-may-triple-the-long-term-risk-of-suicide1/

Last edited:
20 concussions may triple the risk of being Wanderlei Silva.

100 concussions may triple the risk of being Joe Rogan.

giphy.gif

1000 concussion may triple the risk of being Tito Ortiz

Last edited:
Concussions are bad, this is not a secret. Just ask what's left of Sakuraba.

Being so risk averse that you shun any and every injury triples your likelihood of being a pussy.

That explains why my wife is so upset all the time...

mma fans like to watch their favorite fighters receive brain trauma. i dont think they want to hear or care about their future health risks.

I've had a few. Don't feel like they're affecting me going forward, but damn they suck when you're going through them.

Sobering words. In combat sports, or even other violent sports like hockey and football. One can't really do alot to avoid a concussion ( The rules, and evolving equipment try to minimize the risk ). But those things mentioned in the post that one should do following a concussion. That is totally within the control of the athlete him/herself.

Pro sports leagues, and most ACs have concussion protocols. Hence the medical suspensions after every fight.

I've had enough concussions that I can self-diagnose. A few as a kid, a few playing sports as a teenager and one as an adult. The one as an adult was perhaps the worst one. I tried to teach a friend how to skip rocks and she skipped it right into my temple. That one made me feel homicidal, but not suicidal.

I love MMA and had a few concussions myself from playing rugby, boxing and getting king hit at the bar I work at.

CTE just scares the hell out of me, I'd much rather see an early stoppage than a late one and reading articles like this makes me glad that UFC fighters are given lengthy no contact suspensions after fights.

The last part of the article really hits home and it's why I posted it. You see a lot of amateur guys take a heap of punishment in the gym, never consult a doctor and get right back into sparring a few days later.

Shit, Diego Sanchez should have made preparations for hari kari about 10 years ago.

21-Japanese-Samurai-font-b-Sword-b-font-font-b-Short-b-font-Katana-Tanto-Folding.jpg

mma fans like to watch their favorite fighters receive brain trauma. i dont think they want to hear or care about their future health risks.

Fighting and brain trauma go hand in hand. Do you like fighting? Then you support people getting brain trauma. If you can't stomach that, find a new sport to watch.

Mark hunt poor hunt, i really feel for the guy

Back