• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

A sign that UFC is leaving Fox? THR reports Fox close to deal with WWE's Smackdown

Fox is willing to pay more for ‘fake wrestling’ than the UFC hilarious.
Because its way more popular than UFC lol

They put a show on every week with Smackdown which is their less viewed show and it outdraws any UFC event ever. The SmackDown after WrestleMania 33 drew 2.885 million viewers. Their weekly show crushes any UFC.... That's why.

Espn+ paid $150m for 15 events & to share some of FP catalogue

So per content, ESPN+ paid more than Fox did
That is insane but ESPN+ is coming into this knowing it will be a loss-leader
Who gets tuf? Fight nights? Equivalent of ufc on fox?

Geez,

I tell you one thing, some HUGE TV deals being signed recently.

WME conned the Fertittas.

Yep ... it is a completely different ballgame
WWE Network is suddenly very low on priority these days, due to the money they make on TV. It is not even close.
Look at how crazy the ESPN+ deal is. They are paying more per hour to UFC than Fox is for WWE & they are not even a broadcast/cable network

Yeah I know,

Just reversing the usual...you think they will cash out at some point in the next 5 years in the wake of another new deal which I can imagine will be at least as good.

I don't think they'll find it necessary if all is good.
They will not quadriple UFC's size or anything...it will be their constant money maker. Like a factory.

Don't be shocked if they do sell if an offer comes in big enough
But I think a solid possibility is putting UFC on the market as public.
Do something similar to WWE, where they don't put enough to take controlling interest away, but they would kill on the market.
To compare, WWE was worth $2.5-3.0b before the TV deals (market) & UFC made about 9x the profit in 2017

Not really conned.

They do what Fertittas cannot do. Fertittas are good managers, but too emotionally involved in business and got too many legal stuff they did not need.
WME are masters of cheap production and cutting costs, plus they're a bunch of expert lawyers.

Pretty spot on
Lorenzo was a genius & took UFC about as high as he could.
Remember he needed WME to make the last TV deal, etc.
It was the perfect time for the sale.
UFC was at a high so Lorenzo could cash out at a premium & WME saw the need to be a content provider was the future & that is their wheelhouse

Ferttita era = MMA promotion
WME era = Content provider

Thanks buddy

The deal while killer for WWE, is really interesting for Fox, because they are not paying that much for new content.
104 hours a year is about $1.92m per hour. Try to get a primetime TV show that cheap.
That is less per hour than ESPN+ paid UFC & they are not even a TV network but OTT.

It is a wild deal from all sides once you break it down

Why do you keep repating this ?
Fox paid 205M$ for Smackdown only not all WWE content (and i don't think Smackdown deserves all this money ) of course it's a great deal for WWE
if they paid for both Raw and Smackdown , it will be much higher price and for sure higher than the UFC deal
We all heard months ago that Fox was ready to pay WWE more than UFC
i don't know what you want to prove

Why do you keep repating this ?
Fox paid 205M$ for Smackdown only not all WWE content (and i don't think Smackdown deserves all this money ) of course it's a great deal for WWE
if they paid for both Raw and Smackdown , it will be much higher price and for sure higher than the UFC deal
We all heard months ago that Fox was ready to pay WWE more than UFC
i don't know what you want to prove

I am stating facts
Why you have issue with facts is the Q?
UFC is getting paid more per hour of content for OTT than WWE is for a national network

Last edited:
Because its way more popular than UFC lol

They put a show on every week with Smackdown which is their less viewed show and it outdraws any UFC event ever. The SmackDown after WrestleMania 33 drew 2.885 million viewers. Their weekly show crushes any UFC.... That's why.

Oh yeah. I totally agree. Smackdown went from $80 million to $200 million a year and raw went from $150 million to
$475 million a year and the best deal the ufc has gotten this year is $150 million from basically an internet only channel (Espn plus).

Not matter how big of a ufc homer or shill one is, they do have to sit back and admit the wwe is bigger a machine than they thought.

I am stating facts
UFC is getting paid more per hour of content for OTT than WWE is for a national network
Why you move the goal posts with "paid per hour" bs. You weren't using that line last week.

Why you move the goal posts with "paid per hour" bs. You weren't using that line last week.

No goal post was moved & it is not BS
Last week WWE was not signed to Fox for Smackdown so how could I do the math?
You are not doing well ITT
lol

When you calculate anything in business, you calculate what the buyer actually paid for.
Fox bought 104 Prime Time hours on a national network for under $2m per hour
Great deal for both them & WWE (as I stated numerous times)

Both WWE deals are about $425m per year for a total of 260hrs of original content
That is great guaranteed money for WWE (as stated many times)
But anybody with business insight and/or a calculator can see it is less per hour than UFC.
That is because UFC brings in higher advertising dollars & since they are a live sport, they are considered DVR proof.
WWE meanwhile is 25% DVR's (meaning most of the 25 FF through commercials)

I am stating facts
I'd suggest looking at his join date/post count next time ;).

I'd suggest looking at his join date/post count next time ;).

I did after lol

But a few others that don't get it can get schooled as well by my reply.

;)

What people retain/comprehend is up to them. No biggie.

When you calculate anything in business, you calculate what the buyer actually paid for.
Fox bought 104 Prime Time hours on a national network for under $2m per hour
Great deal for both them & WWE (as I stated numerous times)

Both WWE deals are about $425m per year for a total of 260hrs of original content
That is great guaranteed money for WWE (as stated many times)
But anybody with business insight and/or a calculator can see it is less per hour than UFC.
That is because UFC brings in higher advertising dollars & since they are a live sport, they are considered DVR proof.
WWE meanwhile is 25% DVR's (meaning most of the 25 FF through commercials)
If frankienyc died while typing on sherdog today would anyone care? No

Oh yeah. I totally agree. Smackdown went from $80 million to $200 million a year and raw went from $150 million to
$475 million a year and the best deal the ufc has gotten this year is $150 million from basically an internet only channel (Espn plus).

Not matter how big of a ufc homer or shill one is, they do have to sit back and admit the wwe is bigger a machine than they thought.

where did you get the new raw deal being 475m from?

where did you get the new raw deal being 475m from?

It isn't
I'm guessing they did 3x the last USA deal, but that combined both Raw & SD
Meltzer said both deals (Fox, USA) are about $400-425m per

It isn't
I'm guessing they did 3x the last USA deal, but that combined both Raw & SD
Meltzer said both deals (Fox, USA) are about $400-425m per

if smackdown sold for 200m i doubt they would sell raw for only 225m. you'd have to think raw would be worth atleast 300m if not more.

if smackdown sold for 200m i doubt they would sell raw for only 225m. you'd have to think raw would be worth atleast 300m if not more.

One is FOX & the other is USA. Big difference in payscale.
I agree with your point though
I think it could be closer to $250-300m too, but it is not $475m

Back