• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

A sign that UFC is leaving Fox? THR reports Fox close to deal with WWE's Smackdown

Ufc also practically gave Up their whole back catalog to Espn. Which basically kills fightpass.

Wwe gets prime time on a national broadcast channel and they still make over $215 million from their back catalog on their network

Fight Pass is still continuing & will have the complete catalogue
ESPN+ is only for US

Fox is paying less per hour for WWE than UFC will get on a cable-tier station and/or an OTT
That was the point I made

Ufc also practically gave Up their whole back catalog to Espn. Which basically kills fightpass.

Wwe gets prime time on a national broadcast channel and they still make over $215 million from their back catalog on their network

ufc is getting 150m/yr for that. dont forget WWE had to give up their ppv business to make that 215 million.

If fox pulls their deal for the ufc, who are the remaining suitors? NBC, cbs?

& Time Warner if UFC waits to see the merger through

Meltzer said he spoke with Fox execs Mania week & they said they wanted both brands & the $200+ offer is on the table until UFC says no.
All reports back that up, but things can change

It was 3x their old deal from what I am reading.

Yep
Its extremely cheap for Fox & great for WWE
A real win

Reason is WWE doesn't pull anywhere near the advertising dollars the ratings suggest they should.

Not exactly sure why you made a jump from this deal to anything concerning the UFC deal. Its rumored the WWE will be on Fridays. If they would have put it on Saturdays now we have something to talk about.

ufc is getting 150m/yr for that. dont forget WWE had to give up their ppv business to make that 215 million.

That $215m is a much larger number than reality
They don't average 1.8m fully paid subs per month (nowhere near it) in states

Not exactly sure why you made a jump from this deal to anything concerning the UFC deal. Its rumored the WWE will be on Fridays. If they would have put it on Saturdays now we have something to talk about.

What jump?
I said it might
Networks only have so much to spend on content

The week after reports are UFC did not sign with Fox bc offers came in elsewhere & now Fox signing WWE cannot be dismissed as a possibility (which is what I said)

I wouldn't think so. maybe if it included all of WWEs live programming but smackdown alone doesn't prime nearly the programming ufc will bring. ufc better hope FOX doesn't pull out due to recent developments. the suitors are thin at this point

WWE and UFC? FOX trying to be the new Spike? Add some Bar Rescue (although that once great show has grown stale and boring sadly).

Always buddy
How are you?

Btw ... it doesn't mean UFC won't re-sign there
That is only one day a week on Fox

I know but any hint or indication of how things may play out piques my interest.
I'm doing well and seeing you post is always a good sign that you are too. Correct?

WWE and UFC? FOX trying to be the new Spike? Add some Bar Rescue (although that once great show has grown stale and boring sadly).

Bar Rescue?
There is only so many ways to yell at a bartender. It gets old fast

Vince pays his stars way too much, that's why WWE is only worth 1/2 what the UFC is worth. WME could easily cut pay 70% across the board, those wrasslers have no place else to go.

I know but any hint or indication of how things may play out piques my interest.
I'm doing well and seeing you post is always a good sign that you are too. Correct?

I been better
I'm home for now, thanks for asking man

The timing is interesting
Since Fox & UFC were close to announcing a deal then UFC got the ESPN+ & two network offer.
No idea if Fox said FU & pulled the offer (or not)
But if UFC got $150m from a non-network, they will do just fine

Vince pays his stars way too much, that's why WWE is only worth 1/2 what the UFC is worth. WME could easily cut pay 70% across the board, those wrasslers have no place else to go.

That is the complete opposite of the truth
UFC pays 13-17% of rev & WWE 5-8% for a shitload more work

Both suck lol

What jump?
I said it might
Networks only have so much to spend on content

The week after reports are UFC did not sign with Fox bc offers came in elsewhere & now Fox signing WWE cannot be dismissed as a possibility (which is what I said)
Fox has so much money that they can easily have both the WWE and UFC. Media rights for the NFL and NBA is where the game changing money is spent. I actually think it makes sense. At certain times of the year they will have WWE on Fridays, UFC on Saturdays and the NFL on Sundays. You can cross promote on every event and hopefully garner more fans for each.

When I was talking about you making a jump I was mostly referring to part of the title. I did not see why the UFC would have anything to do with this deal but you did leave it as a question and not a statement so I can say it's not really a big deal.

UFC had a standing offer from Fox for $200-250m per year (depending on the amount of content).
it was a take it or leave it offer. THR reports it at $175m now (since they gave so much to ESPN+)

Did UFC say no (rumors of others have bid this month)?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...ve-five-year-1-billion-deal-smackdown-1113701

The new deal, which is nearing completion, is expected to begin in October 2019, and will mark a three-fold increase over what NBCUniversal is currently paying.
Fox will be the anticipated home of WWE SmackDown Live in a massive new five-year deal worth more than $1 billion, sources close to the negotiations tell The Hollywood Reporter. The new deal, which is nearing completion and is worth $205 million annually, is expected to begin in October 2019, and will mark a three-fold increase over what NBCUniversal is currently paying WWE to air SmackDown on its USA network.

WWE is said to have had an even higher bid from a third party - and enthusiastic interest overall. But WWE executives are said to have embraced Fox's commitment to heavily promote SmackDown across a robust sports portfolio that includes the NFL and Major League Baseball.

The deal would split WWE programming rights with NBC, which is expected to retain Raw. Smack is averaging 2.59 million viewers a week so far this year, while Raw is pulling about 3 million. Both programs currently air on USA. And the WWE had a significant part in the network's May 14 upfront presentation to advertisers with Stephanie McMahon, WWE's chief brand officer, introducing several female wrestlers including former UFC star Ronda Rousey.

The Fox deal dovetails with the Murdoch-controlled network’s anticipated programming pivot in the wake of the Disney acquisition of much of 21st Century Fox assets. “New Fox” as its been quasi officially dubbed, will include the Fox broadcast network and owned stations, Fox News and Fox Sports, which includes cable nets FS1 and FS2 as well as the Big Ten Network. And Fox's May 14 upfront presentation to advertisers unveiled a shift away from edgy, urbane fare toward broad programming with appeal beyond coastal confines to middle America. The network will spend more than $3 billion for five seasons of Thursday Night Football, and already shells out more than $1 billion annually for its top-rated Sunday NFL package, which runs through 2022.

It’s unclear what effect if any, the WWE deal will have on Fox Sports’ calculation in renewing its UFC rights package, which expires at the end of the year. The Endeavor-owned promotion recently finalized a $750 million deal with ESPN+, the Disney-owned sports giants’ still nascent OTT service. And sources close to that deal have told THR that Fox is willing to pay about $175 million annually for the MMA promotion.

doesn't mean ufc done with fox.

means fox Is signing something else to fill it fs1 air waves.,

Fox is willing to pay more for ‘fake wrestling’ than the UFC hilarious.

that cuase wwe is way bigger than ufc duh, wwe been around for 50 years and ufc just now hitting 25.

UFC had a standing offer from Fox for $200-250m per year (depending on the amount of content).
it was a take it or leave it offer. THR reports it at $175m now (since they gave so much to ESPN+)

Did UFC say no (rumors of others have bid this month)?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...ve-five-year-1-billion-deal-smackdown-1113701

The new deal, which is nearing completion, is expected to begin in October 2019, and will mark a three-fold increase over what NBCUniversal is currently paying.
Fox will be the anticipated home of WWE SmackDown Live in a massive new five-year deal worth more than $1 billion, sources close to the negotiations tell The Hollywood Reporter. The new deal, which is nearing completion and is worth $205 million annually, is expected to begin in October 2019, and will mark a three-fold increase over what NBCUniversal is currently paying WWE to air SmackDown on its USA network.

WWE is said to have had an even higher bid from a third party - and enthusiastic interest overall. But WWE executives are said to have embraced Fox's commitment to heavily promote SmackDown across a robust sports portfolio that includes the NFL and Major League Baseball.

The deal would split WWE programming rights with NBC, which is expected to retain Raw. Smack is averaging 2.59 million viewers a week so far this year, while Raw is pulling about 3 million. Both programs currently air on USA. And the WWE had a significant part in the network's May 14 upfront presentation to advertisers with Stephanie McMahon, WWE's chief brand officer, introducing several female wrestlers including former UFC star Ronda Rousey.

The Fox deal dovetails with the Murdoch-controlled network’s anticipated programming pivot in the wake of the Disney acquisition of much of 21st Century Fox assets. “New Fox” as its been quasi officially dubbed, will include the Fox broadcast network and owned stations, Fox News and Fox Sports, which includes cable nets FS1 and FS2 as well as the Big Ten Network. And Fox's May 14 upfront presentation to advertisers unveiled a shift away from edgy, urbane fare toward broad programming with appeal beyond coastal confines to middle America. The network will spend more than $3 billion for five seasons of Thursday Night Football, and already shells out more than $1 billion annually for its top-rated Sunday NFL package, which runs through 2022.

It’s unclear what effect if any, the WWE deal will have on Fox Sports’ calculation in renewing its UFC rights package, which expires at the end of the year. The Endeavor-owned promotion recently finalized a $750 million deal with ESPN+, the Disney-owned sports giants’ still nascent OTT service. And sources close to that deal have told THR that Fox is willing to pay about $175 million annually for the MMA promotion.
I saw this this morning and was expecting a thread from you. What have you heard so far about the fox deal? I really want them to stay with fox at least in some capacity.

https://screenrant.com/wwe-smackdown-moving-fox-fridays/

I saw this this morning and was expecting a thread from you. What have you heard so far about the fox deal? I really want them to stay with fox at least in some capacity.

https://screenrant.com/wwe-smackdown-moving-fox-fridays/

Ha
Just that Fox stayed with the $200-250m* offer (depending on amount of content) & that it was up to UFC to take it (or not)
Then the ESPN+ deal was announced and others made offers to UFC.

The ESPN+ deal was so insane it might have changed everything.

*THR says it dropped to $175m though

Last edited:
Back