Social A sherbro writes comic book stories

As a kid/teen, I grew up reading Savage Sword of Conan, playing DnD, and not getting laid.
This stuff gives me the feels.
Even though I train UFC and am a one stripe white belt in BJJ, I still have a sensitive side.
This thread is awesome and I look forward to more of your stuff.

I'd be happy to.

A bit more than 20K. The weak Canadian dollar is killing me.
-Illustrator: 175US per page for Bereft #1 (28 pages)
-Letterer: 10£ per page
-Limited printing of #1 (in English and in French): 1500CAN
-Illustrator for Chonan: 225£ per page (11 pages)
plus hiring voice actors for promos, the softwares and so much more

John H doesn't work for free, but I've stopped paying him full price after issue 1. I give him what I can and he really wants a graphic novel.
Keep it going! I have a whole world built for what I hope is a novel or serial novella series similar to Conan style fantasy. I also have another world built which could be more graphic novel based.

Id love to learn more about your journey as I hope to do the same one day!

I'd be happy to.

A bit more than 20K. The weak Canadian dollar is killing me.
-Illustrator: 175US per page for Bereft #1 (28 pages)
-Letterer: 10£ per page
-Limited printing of #1 (in English and in French): 1500CAN
-Illustrator for Chonan: 225£ per page (11 pages)
plus hiring voice actors for promos, the softwares and so much more

John H doesn't work for free, but I've stopped paying him full price after issue 1. I give him what I can and he really wants a graphic novel.
Yup the economics of it are just killer. I talked to an established but far from famous comic artist with no work for Marvel or DC but multiple published runs. I would be looking at over 12K for a cover and 24 pages of art, no inking, no lettering, no printing, no marketing, no introduction to publishers he'd worked with etc. Guy was great, really nice, took time out to respond, don't want to make it sound like he was a jerk, he needs to get paid fairly. So I'm keeping that dream in my pocket along with the 20k to get where you are now THOUGH I ADMIRE the F* out of you for pushing forward. You're guys got talent and if you share a vision that must help. Enjoyed the free online version and hope you get picked up by one of the publishers one day and can at least break even. Cheers!

I've posted some of the things I work on like my Conan spoof. I decided to make a thread for the 2-3 sherbros who care about what I do.

Karl Richardson (Warhammer 40k, Judge Dredd, 2000 AD) concept art for my Conan parody.
Chonan-full.jpg

John Himmelstein designs for Lonsala the witch, one of the baddies for our graphic novel Bereft.
Lonsala.jpg

John Himmelstein art for our Kickstarter campaign.
Art-Kickstarter.jpg

Bereft (@bereftcomix) • Instagram photos and videos
Bereft Comic Book (@BereftComix) / X (twitter.com)
@koquerelle
This might be of interest to you-
https://www.cbr.com/former-marvel-publisher-idw-editor-in-chief-new-company/

Cheers

Good to see it progressing. I remember noting it in your sig a while ago and sent you a PM asking about it. Hard to stick with a big project like that. You may remember i mentioned a story I am working on, which has NOT been progressing lol

Reminds me of this snes game

View attachment 1010680

one of Blizzard's first games, so good.

Last edited:
I’ve got to imagine that eventually AI generation will be able to help self publish comics in the next few years

For instance, I had mid journey create these three images based on character descriptions from my story

IMG_0845.png IMG_0844.png IMG_0842.jpeg

I’ve got to imagine that eventually AI generation will be able to help self publish comics in the next few years
People have tried, but have been rejected by Amazon and the like because AI steals from existing art. The tech bros will probably win the battle though and it's a damn shame.

People have tried, but have been rejected by Amazon and the like because AI steals from existing art. The tech bros will probably win the battle though and it's a damn shame.
Bad for the artist but definitely better for the poors like me!

Thanks for the kind words!

You' so right. Creative outlet = life.
It's a very healthy habit for most people. I used to draw, write songs and play music and I defnitely feel a vacuum now that I don't. Keep up the good work and good luck.

As a kid/teen, I grew up reading Savage Sword of Conan, playing DnD, and not getting laid.
This stuff gives me the feels.
Even though I train UFC and am a one stripe white belt in BJJ, I still have a sensitive side.
This thread is awesome and I look forward to more of your stuff.
I was a massive fan of Savage Sword and DnD. It's why I decided to make the Conan parody.

Page 1 of Thirst of Chonan - lettering coming soon
lTzCN351FXmoasT_1699575015.jpg

Bereft-1-p5.jpg

John sends me rough drafts of the pages. My wife and I are co-editors, so we look at the art and make sure everything makes sense.
Texas5-W.jpg

The letterer usually does the SFX, but John and I wanted them to be an integral part of the art. John took up the challenge and did quite well.
Texas-Project-005.jpg

Bereft-007.jpg

The letterer works with Illustrator. He sends the AI files and I use InDesign to place them on the top of the art which is in TIFF format.
Bereft-Color-English7.jpg
Thank you for stepping out the process, was very curious and you answered it perfectly.

Good job sherbro.

Damn, I have wanted to make my own comic for a long time. I figure I’ll just create a simple website just for the issues.

But I am not that talented an artist. I’m ok, but not great.

I don’t read comic books or anything either. But I do love to draw and create stories. It’s just that I’m not good at either.

Bereft-1-p5.jpg

John sends me rough drafts of the pages. My wife and I are co-editors, so we look at the art and make sure everything makes sense.
Texas5-W.jpg

The letterer usually does the SFX, but John and I wanted them to be an integral part of the art. John took up the challenge and did quite well.
Texas-Project-005.jpg

Bereft-007.jpg

The letterer works with Illustrator. He sends the AI files and I use InDesign to place them on the top of the art which is in TIFF format.
Bereft-Color-English7.jpg

It doesn't look bad in color but god damn that looks amazing just inked. I am a big fan of some inked material. My favorite inked stuff is Bernie Wrightson's Frankenstein. I got to meet him at a comic con and got a poster signed of Swamp Thing. Dumbly, I picked out a colored poster rather than one just inked. Bernie died a year later of brain cancer. In retrospect, I suspect he was doing comic cons at his age to raise money for medical bills though I would hope he enjoyed touring as well. The man's work was amazing.

64c271cf26f53a1099dc4108f5cbd5c2.jpg

I strangely came across a booth with James Robinson and Tony Harris and got a poster signed. It was completely baffling that they weren't promoted considering Starman by Robinson and Harris is up there with The Sandman, and The Watchmen. I was star struck because their shit was so good. It is probably some of the most well put together material I have come across. From start to finish, it was straight up A-tier.

98609dac0226282599a69e3646be8820.jpg

I've posted some of the things I work on like my Conan spoof. I decided to make a thread for the 2-3 sherbros who care about what I do.

Karl Richardson (Warhammer 40k, Judge Dredd, 2000 AD) concept art for my Conan parody.
Chonan-full.jpg

John Himmelstein designs for Lonsala the witch, one of the baddies for our graphic novel Bereft.
Lonsala.jpg

John Himmelstein art for our Kickstarter campaign.
Art-Kickstarter.jpg

Bereft (@bereftcomix) • Instagram photos and videos
Bereft Comic Book (@BereftComix) / X (twitter.com)

This shit is crazy dope sir.
I would actually read a comic book again.

Where is the groundhog expert and the sherdog lizard?

Back