A Recurring Theme in Recent Horror Movies . . .

I just hate this gore/horror trend.

Hostel/Saw
movies aren't scary. They aren't gross. They're just lame.

But the part that a situation like Hostel "could" happen is pretty scary. If you were in those situations, it would be SCARY AS FUCK

not nearly enough. it isn't very cinematic. Halloween on the other hand...

and annoying is not the word for Franklin. "Take-you-out-of-the-moment lame" is much more accurate.

That really is a great way to describe that scene

this is all fine, but how the hell do you like texas chainsaw massacre? that movie sucks butt.

i said leatherface was evil. i do like TCM but it is not a movie i watch a lot. i do find lots of it boring.

but when the dad and the girl are in the truck and he starts hitting her with a stick and smiling ... that is hilarious

the girl getting hung on a meathook and that dude getting hit in the head with a hammer are really horrifying images. the end where he is just spazzing out with a chainsaw is cool.
the acting is really good. it is like i am just watching real life and not a movie.

movies like NOES 1 and friday the 13 1-2 i could watch weekly.

the girl getting hung on a meathook and that dude getting hit in the head with a hammer are really horrifying images. the end where he is just spazzing out with a chainsaw is cool.
the acting is really good. it is like i am just watching real life and not a movie.

yeah, that is an accurate diagnosis, but one that turns me off in horror. i love the cinematic aspects of horror. i like being fucked with knowing a scare is coming up, but not knowing exactly when. tension is the most important thing to me.

Thread bumped to ask TS if you saw Mama and what you thought about it?

Funny, I thought of that film as well but couldn't actually remember id that was for sure part of the plot. I felt that film borrowed a lot from past horrors - Drag Me To Hell specifically.

Just wondering what did lovely molly borrow from drag me to hell?
I didn't like lovely Molly, it was slightly creepy but not scary.

The-Exorcist.jpg

The only horror movie I have ever liked. Horror as a genre of film is just fucked beyond all help.

The scariest film I've seen in the last however long was The Strangers. No rhyme or reason, or even supernatural shit... just believable, horrible violence.

That's just where society is trending in general regarding dealing with evil. Just look on this forum whenever there's some mass shooting, you'll always have your emo hipster posters trying to explain (rationalize imo) why some asshole shot up a movie theater or elementary school. People don't want to accept that there can indeed be some people who are just inherently evil douchebags. It's because the idea of that terrifies them imo.

People try to find reasons in horrible real world events, in order to prevent another one from happening again. Sure, most of the time, they are looking for strawmen or scapegoats and target the easy fix-guns, media...- and when the real culprit is a various amount of factors that is a problem with society on the whole- mental health reform... I agree that some people are just fucked up and no amount of a utopian socitey is going to solve that.

For horror, someone already mentioned Alien, a truly great horror movie, the monster wasn't evil or conflicted or had some great plan, it just existed to survive. It couldn't be reasoned or empathized with.

Never saw the original texas chainsaw massacre (TCM), but the remake with Jessica Biel was intense!

girlnextdoordvd.jpg

Prime example of what the OP's post was about.

It is a pretty damn disturbing film. Good though.

If you want to watch a horror movie substance and depth, look no further than ThanksKilling,

Best description (or at least my favorite) of what a monster really is:

I admire its purity. A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.

-Ash, "Alien"

Also fitting that description:

jaws29.jpg

Just wondering what did lovely molly borrow from drag me to hell?
I didn't like lovely Molly, it was slightly creepy but not scary.

The hoofed-foot devil coming up the steps to the door to the bedroom (one of the movies "scariest scenes"). Almost exactly the same, very much borrowed and not nearly done as well as DMTH.

The-Exorcist.jpg

The only horror movie I have ever liked. Horror as a genre of film is just fucked beyond all help.

I agree that film is scariest of all time, then The Ring IMO. But there are good ones that come along, it's just you have to watch about 20 first.

So, just thought of another one - EXACTLY the type of film I'm talking about.

The Quiet - Elisha Cuthburt. Ultimately the whole plot is about sexual abuse in a home (incest).

And, oh what a surprise, the director Jamie Babbitt - lesbian.

The catharsis is evident.

girlnextdoordvd.jpg

Prime example of what the OP's post was about.

It is a pretty damn disturbing film. Good though.

Not sure this is what I'm talking about . . .

For instance, it's a woman who locks the girl in the basement and tortures her. And I can't even remember any actual sexual abuse - it's more physical, emotional. The films I'm thinking of have to do specifically with sexual abuse. Not really sure it's the same as the other films Im thinking of this way.

Back